• 28.04.2024, 05:07
  • Register
  • Login
  • You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Aqua Computer Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Using a Quadro/Octo for external cooling of laptop

Sunday, November 21st 2021, 10:33pm

I am setting up external cooling for my laptop as it runs hot during summer and gaming. Planning to install a couple of 80mm fans below (towards the intake) and one on the side to support the outflow. Currently I have a 12V/60W adapter which supports the PWM-fans.

Found the Octo/Quadro and it seems a good solution to manage the fans, but I see its power source is a Molex-connector. Does the board require the 5V from
the molex, or does it just use the 12V? (and take the 5V from the USB as well). I plan to use a external->internal USB-connector for connectivity (and power). I couldn't find this in the manual or on the forum.

Also, will the 60W be enough for this solution. I read the board can adjust for 100W, but my fans together only require 1A in total.

Monday, November 22nd 2021, 7:18am

The quadro and octo require 5V and 12V.

Monday, November 22nd 2021, 11:10am

You could use one of THESE. If you are in the USA it will require a power cord like THIS.

Tuesday, November 23rd 2021, 12:44pm

Thanks for the quick response and suggestions.