• 16.04.2024, 15:48
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Du bist nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies dein erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lese dir bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird dir die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus solltest du dich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutze das Registrierungsformular, um dich zu registrieren oder informiere dich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls du dich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert hast, kannst du dich hier anmelden.

Understanding high flow NEXT power sensor setup in a dual radiator system

Donnerstag, 27. Januar 2022, 14:24

I currently have the following cooling loop:

Reservoir
D5 pump
high flow NEXT
GPU water block
240 radiator
CPU water block
360 radiator

Where is the best place to put the second water temp sensor for the high flow NEXT to do a "power" measurement?

Note this order was selected to minimize the length of tubing and visual looks. I could reorder components, but would like to avoid that.

Donnerstag, 27. Januar 2022, 14:54

With only one temp sensor (High Flow Next), you cannot get a power measurement. On a typical loop, you need two temp sensors plus the flow sensor in order to get a power reading. Power is calculated based on the temperature drop between two points and knowing the mass of water which dropped in temp.

On your setup, the split makes it so that there are two power dumps (radiators) separated by two power inputs (GPU + CPU). To calculate the power, you need to know the temperature drop across each radiator, and therefore this setup requires four temperature sensors. If the radiators were directly in series with each other, then you would need only the two temp sensors (one at the first radiator's input and one at the second radiator's output).

Hope that helps.

RE: Understanding high flow NEXT power sensor setup in a dual radiator system

Donnerstag, 27. Januar 2022, 21:12

I currently have the following cooling loop:

Reservoir
D5 pump
high flow NEXT
GPU water block
240 radiator
CPU water block
360 radiator

Where is the best place to put the second water temp sensor for the high flow NEXT to do a "power" measurement?

Note this order was selected to minimize the length of tubing and visual looks. I could reorder components, but would like to avoid that.

What are you using for fan control?
If you have an aquaero, it has a firmware Power Dissipation Sensor built in that could calculate the 2nd radiator, then add both in the Playground.
If no aquaero, I believe someone (do not remember who) built a Power Dissipation virtual sensor in the play ground, which should work.

Remayz

Donnerstag, 27. Januar 2022, 21:55

it would be easier to have the rads in series, o else you have to make the virtual sensor twice as big (it's a copy paste with 4 sensors basically).
But you multiply reading errors with that many thermistors.
They are not exactly precision devices, so the least you use, the better.

I did post my version of that virtual sensor there :
New: aquasuite X

tweaked it since then with some averaging functions on the inputs to make it less spiky but still responsive, but the calculation part of it is always the same.

If you use 4 sensors, you'll have to make one calculation between input and output of the first rad, then input and putput of the second rad, then add the two values for your total dissipated power sensor.

Freitag, 28. Januar 2022, 20:35

it would be easier to have the rads in series, o else you have to make the virtual sensor twice as big (it's a copy paste with 4 sensors basically).
But you multiply reading errors with that many thermistors.
They are not exactly precision devices, so the least you use, the better.

I did post my version of that virtual sensor there :
New: aquasuite X

tweaked it since then with some averaging functions on the inputs to make it less spiky but still responsive, but the calculation part of it is always the same.

If you use 4 sensors, you'll have to make one calculation between input and output of the first rad, then input and putput of the second rad, then add the two values for your total dissipated power sensor.
That is a nice use of the Virtual Software Sensor!

Remayz

Freitag, 28. Januar 2022, 20:54

it's pretty funny to watch the temperature and power curves move together :)
give or take a couple of watts, the dissipated power is always almost identical to the sum of the power draw from GPU and CPU.

It's pretty useless but it highly satisfies my inner geek :D

Well, one thing it does well is measure how restrictive your case can be.
Opening a panel, or removing a dust filter will cause a raise in dissipated power, and a drop in water temp (you increase the cooling capacity of your rads). Very obvious but it makes it directly visible instead of relying on perceived noise and having to make excel sheets with ambient temperature tracking to compare bla bla bla Gamers Nexus get out of this body.

It allows you to compare various fan and filter setups regardless of your ambient temp and see if you made a difference.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Remayz« (28. Januar 2022, 20:59)

Freitag, 28. Januar 2022, 22:27

Okay. Looks like I need to reorder my loop to

Reservoir
D5 pump
high flow NEXT
GPU water block
CPU water block
Water Temp Sensor
240 radiator
360 radiator

Samstag, 29. Januar 2022, 01:16

That would do it. You could also replace the plain D5 with a D5 Next that has a temp sensor built in (among other nice bits) and then place your High Flow Next right before the radiators.

Samstag, 29. Januar 2022, 02:11

Don't ignore the heat from the pump.

Samstag, 29. Januar 2022, 02:49

Heat from the pump should be under 10W. At max power, it pulls 20W electrical. About 70% of that goes directly into mechanical work and only 30% becomes heat. When he's playing a game on there, that difference would be lost in the noise.

Samstag, 29. Januar 2022, 16:14

That would do it. You could also replace the plain D5 with a D5 Next that has a temp sensor built in (among other nice bits) and then place your High Flow Next right before the radiators.
I would love a D5 NEXT, but I just ordered a Leakshield so it will have to wait for a bit. :)

Remayz

Samstag, 29. Januar 2022, 22:38

Heat from the pump should be under 10W. At max power, it pulls 20W electrical. About 70% of that goes directly into mechanical work and only 30% becomes heat. When he's playing a game on there, that difference would be lost in the noise.
true. At idle though it would mess up the value. but it doesn't hurt to use a second sensor anyway, even with a D5 Next