• 19.04.2024, 05:36
  • Register
  • Login
  • You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Aqua Computer Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

How should I set up my fan controls?

Monday, August 6th 2012, 4:41am

Hello.

I've owned an Aquaero 5 XT for over a year now, and I like it (apart from the fact that the buttons are completely unusable because it seems like they're always being pressed; I'll post about that separately). However, I've actually never gotten around to setting up the fan controls; I know how to set it in Aquasuite, but I really don't understand the best way to do it. Currently, I just have all my fans at 100% all the time. The noise level is tolerable, but I would like it to be quieter when I'm not gaming. So, I'm hoping that some people here can help me understand a good way to control the fans.

Let me provide some temperature values (in Celsius). When my room is cool and my computer isn't under much load, my temps are roughly: water 27, motherboard 32, CPU 30, CPU package 51, and GPU 27. After hours of gaming, my temps are roughly: water 35, motherboard 39, CPU 42, CPU package 63, and GPU 39.

I've done a lot of reading, and I've seen that most people advise against controlling the fans based on the CPU or GPU temperatures, because those can change rapidly and it results in the fans spinning up all the time for no reason. Okay, that's fine, so I need to control it based on the water temperature somehow. But how, exactly?

I've seen some people say that you should take the difference in temperature between the water and the air outside of your case, and then set the fan controller to try to keep that around 10 degrees. I really don't understand this though. What does it accomplish? If the air in the room is at 50 C and the water is 55 C, for (an extreme) example, then the fans might all be turned off, even though everything would be very hot! What does it matter what the air temperature is? The water is what cools everything, so surely you only need to base it off of that?

Can somebody explain to me why it's necessary to use the ambient temperature as well? Or, can somebody tell me at what water temperatures my radiator fans should be at 0% and 100% at? For example, should they be at 0% for 27 C and 100% for 35 C, or can that be stretched out to 0% for 35 C and 100% for 45 C, or what?!

I'm confused! ?(

Shoggy

Sven - Admin

Monday, August 6th 2012, 10:04am

You are thinking way to complicated ;)

Just use a set point or curve controller like this for example:

Use the water temperate as data source. The set point controller ins this example will try to hold the temperature of the water at 33°C while the curver controller scales the speed of the fans between 30 and 36,5°C like you can see it in the curve.

Tuesday, August 7th 2012, 9:49am

Thanks, I've set it up like you said. I'll leave it like this for a while and see how it works out. :)