• 19.04.2024, 23:20
  • Register
  • Login
  • You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Aqua Computer Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Nvidia 7800 waterblocks?

Thursday, June 23rd 2005, 11:48am

Spoke with Franz at It-Trade the other day and he thought that the new Nvidia 7800 board was the same as the 6800 reference design. Anyone know here for certain? We have a lot of people here in the USA that are buying these cards and they want to know before they buy a pair of AquagraFX 6800 Rev 2 cooler's.

Re: Nvidia 7800 waterblocks?

Thursday, June 23rd 2005, 5:03pm

well neither AC nor us the members have the power of the sight, so we can only wait until the first retail boards are shipped

i´m sure AC will get their hands on a sample very soon and verify whether or not the cooler will fit the new cards
8) there is no gravity - the world sucks 8)

stu_allen

Saturday, June 25th 2005, 12:10am

From the pictures i have seen, the 7800s are similar to the 512mb 6800s - the power circuitry heatsink is totally different, so the Aquagrafx block will not fit.

Saturday, June 25th 2005, 3:21am

these are simply only pictures and should not be used to decide whether to get a 6800 or 7800. These are serious beasts 8) as some might know but to decide on pictures is what i would say a bad idea. Wait until ac have tested their water block to see whether it fits/provides enough cooling (though i doubt this would be an issue), then you can decide whether to get a 6800 or 7800 accordingly.

Ed

stu_allen

Saturday, June 25th 2005, 1:45pm

Quoted from "boswell"

these are simply only pictures and should not be used to decide whether to get a 6800 or 7800. These are serious beasts 8) as some might know but to decide on pictures is what i would say a bad idea. Wait until ac have tested their water block to see whether it fits/provides enough cooling (though i doubt this would be an issue), then you can decide whether to get a 6800 or 7800 accordingly.

Ed

Err. Who said anything about using pictures to decide whether or not to get one???

The reference board design has been available for a while. Look at a picture. http://www.guru3d.com/admin/imageview.php?image=5209
The power circuitry heatsink is in a totally different place.

Sunday, June 26th 2005, 3:03am

Quoted from "stu_allen"

From the pictures i have seen

must have miss understood what you meant nevermind

Sunday, June 26th 2005, 9:40am

Quoted from "KampfSchwein"

well neither AC nor us the members have the power of the sight, so we can only wait until the first retail boards are shipped

i´m sure AC will get their hands on a sample very soon and verify whether or not the cooler will fit the new cards

Well I hope it is sooner than later as they are shipping like crazy here in the states. I have several friends that got them over the last few days. Most are planning on using TwinPlex's because it is simple and they don't have to buy a new cooler everytime the Gods of Fate designate a new cooler board design. ;)

stu_allen

Sunday, June 26th 2005, 12:56pm

TopNurse - i should have one in my paws on Tuesday, so i can take a lot of hires pics of the board compared to a 6800 Aquagrafx block.

Reading the german forum here, it seems there is a possibility the 6800LE block might fit, but its unconfirmed at the moment.

Jessica

Sunday, June 26th 2005, 3:07pm

just to let you know hoping to get our hands on a few 7800 this week we will try the block on them and let you know.
If it fits we will post some pics on here.

Sunday, June 26th 2005, 11:33pm

Thanks Jessica :)

Monday, June 27th 2005, 2:44pm

official statement from AC:
aquagrafx6800 won't fit for 7800. there WILL BE a new cooler for it ;)

Stephan

Administrator

Monday, June 27th 2005, 11:35pm

The 6800LE will fit on the cards, but it doesn't cool the voltage regulators. So a new block will be available in a few weeks.

Tuesday, June 28th 2005, 11:32pm

Will the new one cool the voltage regulator and will it cool the memory on the rear of the card? Also will it be compatible once nvidia fills the blank memory spots with memory for the 7800 Ultra 512mb card?

stu_allen

Friday, July 1st 2005, 4:16am

Friday, July 1st 2005, 5:17am

Hey thanks for the pics!

IIRC the part of the cooler that normally sits on the voltage regulators has no liquid flowing through it. So it seems coceivable to me that as a temporary solution one could just cut off that part or grind away the offending material and then not a problem. Do you think that solution would work properly?

stu_allen

Friday, July 1st 2005, 1:26pm

Absolutely - although thats going to hammer your resale value ;)
Theres no water in that part, and i think youd have to take the whole thing off. You'd also have to make sure theres some airflow for the voltage regulator heatsink.

Ive not got a 6800LE block but it looks like they are exactly the same as the normal one but without the voltage regulator part.
Might be a better idea to use one of those as a temporary measure, until AC make the new blocks.

I'll be very interested in how they plan to cool the memory on the rear of the card...

shonuff

Tuesday, July 5th 2005, 1:40am

Stu, how loud is the stock fan of the 7800? Before I got my AquagraFx my 6800's were LOUD.

Thanks for the pics. :)

stu_allen

Tuesday, July 5th 2005, 2:39am

Ive absolutely no idea Shonuff - i ripped the heatsink and fan off within the first 10 minutes :o
Until my X2 arrives ive got no S939 cpu to power them up with, so i am hoping they work!

Tuesday, July 5th 2005, 5:07pm

stu_allen

Wednesday, July 6th 2005, 1:03am

Looks good!

But what about the ram at the rear of the card? ???