• 20.04.2024, 00:53
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

aphasia

Asus Crosshair V - Aquacomputer Aquaero 5 Screen Corruption

Dienstag, 4. Oktober 2011, 05:04

didn't want to add this to my original issue (USB connection problem) in my other thread;
Asus Crosshair V - Aquacomputer Aquaero 5 USB connection issue

my aquaero 5 xt now has a fairly severe screen corruption...

you can see in the pics that the 2nd & 4th 'panels' are correctly 'framed' in the display. it looks like the 1st & 3rd 'panels' have 'dropped' 2 pixels down.

this is my second Aquaero 5 XT unit. i returned the original to the retailer.
this replacement unit is actually worse than the original.
besides the touch sensitive buttons going nuts (tho aquacomputer claims to have a solution to this with a replacement button inserts, still waiting on shoggy to get back to me on that) and the USB issue from my first post, the unit is becoming un-usable.

i really like the aquaero 5, but these problems are slowly forcing me to give up on it and return it and get a basic fan controller.

the unit is running the latest software (beta 8 & firmware 1016).

need help shoggy.

aphasia

Dienstag, 4. Oktober 2011, 06:20

i should add that the screen goes back to normal if internal USB plug is detached/reattached.

Mittwoch, 5. Oktober 2011, 23:17

I have a new Aquero 5 XT purchased directly from aquacomputer. I experienced no problem with installation or upgrade of firmware. However, I experienced this same screen corruption after 30 hours of constant use. I shut the system down and removed power. When restarted, the corruption was gone. I left the system on for another 24 hours. At some point, the screen corruption occured again . This time, the corruption is a bit different with two "panels" overlapping the other two and leaving blank "panels" in between.

Are there any settings or meaurements I should take before removing the device?

Mittwoch, 5. Oktober 2011, 23:23

I forgot to mention that the screen will not return to normal operation after this second occurence of screen corruption regardless of removal of power or USB communication cable. All functions of Aquero appear to work as expected and communication with Aquasuite is functional. Buttons on front panel of Aquero work as well. The screen will cycle through requested information pages. The corruption appears the same on each page and will not return to normal functioning.

aphasia

Donnerstag, 6. Oktober 2011, 07:02

a fellow 'aquaero 5' 'sufferer'. feel your pain brother.
yeah not good if the screen doesn't return to normal if internal USB cable is pulled.
have you tried pulling the mains power to see if that 'resets' the screen.

had another suggestion on the ocau forum where i've also posted my issues with the aquaero, to maybe try grounding the unit.
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=988193

the idea is to connect a wire from PSU housing (not from the PSU itself, just to the casing) to the bracket of the 'aquaero'. if you haven't got a reel of 16-18AWG wire, could strip a cable off a spare MOLEX cable or use speaker wire.
haven't tried this myself yet as i've had my machine down for rebuilding. once i'm done and refilled my WC loop, i'll be doing it.

Donnerstag, 6. Oktober 2011, 08:23

Thank you for your motivation. The USB cable for my Aquero 5 is buried under water hoses at both ends and not easy to get to. Seeing that removing the mains did not help reset the display, I pulled the Aquero as far from the bay as possible to pull the USB cable. Unplugging and replugging the cable did not change the corruption in the display. Next I removed the four pin molex power cable. The Aquero 5 went into standby mode. Replugging the four pin molex helped none either. I next unplugged the four pin molex and the two pin standby power connector. I expected the Aquero 5 to power down. It did not. I presume the USB cable is also providing standby power to the Aquero 5. I reattached all the cables and began to ponder grounding. The only help grounding would provide is protection for static electricity. At first it did not seem worth the effort. Then i remembered that the touchscreen would ocassionally chirp as if keys were activated even when I was not near the system. I have the updated touchscreen. I started poking at the various touchpads on the screen. With the corruption, it is difficult to see what I'm accomplishing. The three command buttons on the side seem to not have any issue, however, the four touch pads on the bottom of the screen would cause the already corrupted display to corrupt even more when I would just start poking at them furiously. Then I had an idea. I recalled that Aquasuite had an option to disable to touchpad buttons. I set this option and saved the configuration. If this would help stop the corruption, then I just would need to figure out how to get the screen to return to normal. I powered down the PC and removed the mains. As soon as I reattach the mains, the Aquero 5 powers up and I could see the corruption. I repeated this process several times. Removing the mains, waiting, then reconnecting. No change. I then disconnected the four pin molex from the Aquero 5 when the mains were unplugged. I attached the mains with the four pin molex still disconnected. This time, the state of corruption changed. One of the "panels" that was not funcitoning came on corrupted. I removed the mains, reconnected the molex, and when the mains were plugged in, that "panel" started to work. I repeated the process of disconnecting the mains and powering up with the molex attached and unattached. Eventually, all the panels came back online. I started up the computer and now the Aquero 5 is functioning correctly. I still have the touch keys on the panel disabled through Aquasuite. I am leaving the system on to see if any corruption occurs after a few days.
I don't feel I solved anything through my desperation of cable plugging. Such an unscientific method to arrive at a state where everything is still unknown. The remote still operates the Aquero 5 and is easier to navigate with than the buttons anyway. I can live with the buttons disabled for now. (If it acutally helps...)

Mittwoch, 12. Oktober 2011, 11:01

Both of you could check the following: if you look at the front cover, at the right site of the mounting panel you can see a black connector for the display and a bit of the PCB from the display. On the PCB you can see some soldering points. Make sure that they do not touch the stainless steel mounting brackets (see first photo). If you think they might touch it, remove the mounting bracket and shorten this area a bit with a rasp (see second photo).

You can also easily test it. If the problem occurs and the soldering points are the problem, it should be gone when you remove the whole mounting bracket.

@aphasia: if that does not solve your problem we are very sure that there MUST be a problem with your USB ports or the power supply. Having the same problems two times in a row is almost impossible. Please try the device with nothing attached expect for the 4-pin power plug. If the problem is gone you could connect one after another of your components to check which one is faulty. Please attach the components when the device is turned off!

@Snargaloo: when you tell me your full name and address via instant message or e-mail we can send you a new front cover which will solve the problem with the hypersensitive touch buttons.

Finally, a fix for button and screen problems!!!

Sonntag, 9. September 2012, 04:18

I thought I already posted the solution for this issue a few months ago. I apologize for my delay. I was reading through the forums and found a post about how the Aquero 5 generates more heat with the fans running at low RPM than when they run at full speed. I understand the mechanincs of this, however, I did not consider these facts as I strugged with the issues of my screen locking up, corrupting, and the buttons going crazy. When I would get the system to function properly, it would not fail as long as the fans were running at full speed. When I would leave the system idle, and the fans would slow down, then the issues would begin to occur. I spend numerous hours disassembling and reassembling the unit and trying all sorts of strange fixes. I finally discovered what caused all the problems. I originally introduced the issue when I changed the factory installed face plate for the black one to match my case. When installing the face plate, turning the screws that fasten the face plate to the aquero also turn the hexagonal standoff screws between the capacitive touch button board and the LCD display. These standoff screws put excessive force on the display board and cause it to flex slightly. When the fan RPM goes down and the Aquero has to sink the extra heat, the boards start to expand causing further flexing of the circuit boards. Even with just loosely securing the standoff screws, the boards would get warm enough to cause flexing. Only when I loosened all the standoff screws and faceplate screws, would the system no longer have any issues of display lockup, phantom button presses, etc. I monitored the system during various load and thermal situations and found the issue does not occur with all the screws and standoffs loosened. Flexing can occur with the mounting screws of the brackets to the drive bay as well. These must not be tightened too much to cause similar issues. I believe a proper fix for many of the issues involving touch button problems and screen anomalies is to have a set of standoff screws and faceplate screws that will bottom out before allowing for pressure applied to any of the circuit boards. The tollerace must also include variences for heat expansion.

Mittwoch, 12. September 2012, 09:19

If the problem occurs with the pins from the interface you could also slightly bend them to the side so they have better contact to the connector of the main controller.