• 19.04.2024, 21:09
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Is this a normal temp?

Freitag, 17. August 2012, 15:39

Hi all.

Could one of you gurus tell me if the following watertemp is normal?

My setup is the following:
- Gigabyte X79-UD5 with an LGA2011 i73930k running at 4.3 GHz
- MSI 6870 GPU Watercooled
- 32GB Corsair DDR3 Mem
- Aquero 5XT watercooled
- Airplex modularity system 360 to cool the CPU, GPU and the Aquero 5 XT
- Build in an Corsair 800D case running OS X Mountain Lion
I have set the rig up as follow. Radiator -> Cpu -> GPU -> Aquero 5 XT -> Radiator The fans are on top of the Airplex sucking the air out on top.

All is working well i think (hope).
My question is: The Ambient temp in the room is 29c and i'm doing some video converting and watching my watertemp reaching 53c!! Is this ok or should i be worried?
System feels stable and i can do other things while converting no problems till now. But i would really like to now if this is normal.
»FreshWater« hat folgende Bilder angehängt:
  • Tubing before the changes.jpg
  • Tubing after the changes.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »FreshWater« (24. August 2012, 23:11)

- MSI 6870 GPU Watercooled, 32GB Corsair DDR3 Mem
- Aquero 5XT watercooled, Airplex modularity system 360 with buit-in tank & pump
- Built in an Corsair 800D case running OS X Mountain Lion
- Dell U2711 27" monitor

Freitag, 17. August 2012, 16:00

Hi Freshwater,
That water temp does seem a little high for 29C ambient. It would be better if you had the fans pushing air from outside the case through the radiator into the case and then one or two exhaust fans out the back of the case. The air temperature inside your case is going to be hotter than outside because of all your hardware generating heat in an enclosed space so you are not getting the best possible thermal dissipation from your radiator. (i.e. you want to use the coolest possible air to cool your loop, which is outside the case)
Turn your fans around the other way and see if that makes a difference.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »cc01« (17. August 2012, 16:06)

Freitag, 17. August 2012, 16:19

In my opinion, that is right on the edge of being worried about temps. My max water temp with Furmark and SETI running is 47.5. however, I am running relativly low flow fans and the Aquastream XT pump is not as strong as I would like. You did not mention what kind of fans or pump you are useing, I would suggest that you make sure the pump is running at max speed and no hoses are kinked.
If the pump is maxed out, and I am guessing the radiator fans are as well, then if the temps continue to be high, change to higher air flow fans as cheapest, or a higher flow pump.
AMD FX-8150 OctoCore O.C. 18% to 4.2 GHz on ASUS M5A99X EVO with 16 GB Corsair Dominator W. C. RAM, 2 nVIDIA Geforce 560TI W.C. in SLI, six Western Digital drives for a total of 4.07 TBytes, AquaComputer Aquero 5 Pro, AquaComputer D5 pump, Multiswitch USB, tubemeter and Kyros CPU block. Two coolant loops,CPU & SLI, MB, RAM and AQ5, with two flow meters. Running Windows 7 Professional 64, and using Open Hardware Monitor v0.5.1Beta Aquasuite B16 hardware temps.

Freitag, 17. August 2012, 20:46

In my opinion, that is right on the edge of being worried about temps. My max water temp with Furmark and SETI running is 47.5. however, I am running relativly low flow fans and the Aquastream XT pump is not as strong as I would like. You did not mention what kind of fans or pump you are useing, I would suggest that you make sure the pump is running at max speed and no hoses are kinked.
If the pump is maxed out, and I am guessing the radiator fans are as well, then if the temps continue to be high, change to higher air flow fans as cheapest, or a higher flow pump.
Hey Larry,

The fans i use are: 3 be quiet silentwings pure
The pump is the compact 600 12v.

Would i be a good move to ad 3 more of the same fans for an push / pull combination. Another pump is not really an option cause that wouldn't fit on the airplex module as far as i know. i'm afraid to turn the fans around to puh the air in cause i'm thinking that way i will heat up the other components in the system case.
The watertemp when idle today ambient temp 30.6 c is around 46+ airplex fans running at 1000 rpm. Temp in the systemcase 33.2 c inletfan 520 rpm and outlet fan 420 rpm
What would be my best move here please?
- Aquero 5XT watercooled, Airplex modularity system 360 with buit-in tank & pump
- Dell U2711 27" monitor

Freitag, 17. August 2012, 21:20

That temp is pretty high. I run a 3960X (stock) and a 690GTX on the same loop and my water temp is around 38c (goes to around 49 under full load) but it only passes through a single 240 Airplex Copper rad with 2 fans (1000rpm) pushing air out of the case. To top that the rig is in a cupboard with about an inch of space above the rad and my room temp is 28c at the moment. Pump pushes at 4.5l/min it is connected to a PA2 and runs at around 70%.

I wonder if you have some air in the rad or if the XT is raising the temps up so high. Do you need the XT to be watercooled? I run my pump off one of my PA2's and that reaches 60c but is not even fan cooled and has been rock solid for over a year.

If you are running your fans of the XT at lower speeds hence needing the waterblock to cool it, try to run the fans off your motherboard fan headers, this should drop the temp of the XT and give you a good idea if it is that causing the high temps.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »chippie« (17. August 2012, 21:22)

Samstag, 18. August 2012, 01:58

chippie, the XT waterblock will only pick up 60watts maximum from the aquero, a temp difference of less than .1 C.
I think the real problem is the differnce in water flow rate. You are running 4.5 l/min., and I am running 1.6 max. I don't know what the rated water flow rate for the 600 pump is, but I doubt it is very high. We also do not know what size tubing Freshwater is useing, voltage to his pump or really anything.
Freshwater, please check that your pump is running at max, and there are no kinks/collapsed tubes, especially on the inlet side of the pump., On the 800d case, turn all fans except the hard drive fan to blow into the case at max, or run the system with the side cover off to make sure the radiator fans are not sucking air out of a low pressure region.
If the pump is running ree flowing at maximum speed, and your radiator fans are running at max, and the loop is free of air, then my two suggestions are to change to higher flow fans, or add a second pump inside the case to boost the flow. A cheap way to do a dirty test is to buy some cheap high flow rate fans and put them on the radiator. If max temp falls down to the high 40's then you can spend the time looking for quiet high flow rate fans. Yes putting 6 fans on the radiator will increase flow, but it is not a straight line increase for air flow, (there is a cube root in the equation), but doubling the water flow will cut the temperature difference in half on the radiator. For example, 53C - 29C = 24C. doubling the flow of air or water means the temperature difference should go to 12C or a water temp or 29C + 12C = 41C (approximatly) which is consistant with what chippie and I are seeing on our rigs. A 360 x 120 radiator should be good for dissipating the heat of 1000 to 1500 watts, so the real problem is a flow restriction, or just plain not enough pump for the job.
I hate to say this, but are you sure there is no stray piece of plastic wrap in the system? If I recall the adverts I have seen for the Modularity system, it should be easy to take off the ends and make sure there is nothing blocking the tubes.
Or send Shoggy an e-mail and wait for him to go back to work and see what he says.
good luck!
P.S. Please be a wierdo and post what you did to correct the problem!
AMD FX-8150 OctoCore O.C. 18% to 4.2 GHz on ASUS M5A99X EVO with 16 GB Corsair Dominator W. C. RAM, 2 nVIDIA Geforce 560TI W.C. in SLI, six Western Digital drives for a total of 4.07 TBytes, AquaComputer Aquero 5 Pro, AquaComputer D5 pump, Multiswitch USB, tubemeter and Kyros CPU block. Two coolant loops,CPU & SLI, MB, RAM and AQ5, with two flow meters. Running Windows 7 Professional 64, and using Open Hardware Monitor v0.5.1Beta Aquasuite B16 hardware temps.

Samstag, 18. August 2012, 04:13

Thanks man! I do not have the XT block but I was under the impression it would increase the temp more especially as you have another restriction slowing flow due to the block. I bow to your better judgemnet though as personally I have just been a plug and play guy and always had great temps esp. as my latest rig is in a cupboard lol!

One thing that I have found though is that when I increase flow the temps tend to rise. 4.5 is actually pretty high for me, normally it is at around 2.5 but I have not had time to fiddle with it all since the AS updates and dropping in my 690gtx.... so my temps should drop even further which leads me to believe there is somthing else causing Freshwaters high temps. Also I have used 1/2" tubing over the years and that made no difference so just stick to 13/10 now (much easier to manage IMPO), oh and I also have 5 Koolance Quick Release valves in my run. Withough getting dirty, I know it is not just flow rate but the head of the pump that matters, so yeah I think I am with you on that one, when possible grab a, or add a pump with higher flow rate and a higher head on it.

Oh, just looked, the Compact 600 has a head of 1,3 m, this is about a third of what I have on one of my single pumps (I only run one at a time but can run 2 together) and a flow of 150-600 l/h (you are probably running less than 150 due to the low head of the pump). From experience (no flaming please) the higher the head, the better the temps, irrespecive of flow rate to a certain degree.

Good luck FreshWater, lets hope it is just something blocking the flow or air in the rad! But as LarryWill729 says it is probably down to flow rate.

Let us know how you get on mate!

Samstag, 18. August 2012, 11:18

Freshwater,

There is no reason to fear turning your fans around. The heat dissipated by your radiator into the case will minimally affect your hardware temps. It is much easier for your fans to push air through a radiator than it is to pull. Pushing air from the OUTSIDE, ie the coolest air, into your case is the most effective way of using the radiator to remove heat from the coolant running through it. Remember - you are watercooling your hardware. Water retains heat much longer than air, and so as long as you are exhausting the internal air and creating proper airflow in your case, any internal thermal transfer will be insignificant on your hardware. I realise that your 800D case draws ambient air in from the bottom of the case, but I still think it would be worth experimenting by pushing ambient air through the radiator.

Also, flow rate above about 1 gal/min (~230 l/hr) will not significantly lower your water temps. The effect in lowering temps above this flow rate is less than 1C. I can run my pumps both at full speed or both at half speed and in either case they are above 1.5 gal/min and it makes no difference to my coolant temperature.

You have a problem, or a combination of problems, elsewhere in your setup. Your fans are sufficient for the job and I would say your pump is too as long as it is running at least 1 gal/min (~230 l/hr). Your pump is rated at 150 - 600 l/hr. Check what some of the other people have suggested in this thread. There might be air trapped in the radiator or something blocking a hose or an inlet? Have you checked that your coolant is actually flowing? Perhaps the pump is not working? Do you have the direction of flow correctly set up? I know that is a silly one but sometimes we can mistake an inlet for an outlet on a pump or waterblock. No matter how careful we are, it can be easy to forget some of these things when we are building our rigs ...

Check:

1) That your pump is working and actually receiving 12V, and checking for blockages.

2) Please do turn your fans around and push the cooler ambient air through the radiator. Radiator efficiency will have a much more significant impact on your coolant temps than anything else. I can run my system at full load on 3 graphics cards and CPU, plus motherboard cooling and Aquaero waterblock at ambient temp 25C and my coolant temp does not break 38C. In this scenario my internal case temp is 34C, which is 4C lower than the coolant temp and as such negligible to my hardware temps.

Good luck with troubleshooting and let us know what you find out!

Samstag, 18. August 2012, 13:09

Larry and the others,

Thanks for all the feedback.

First take a look at my build see the 2 pics. Sorry for the quality.

Pretty simple and straight forward i think.

I'm now gonna try and run the systems without the side cover see if that makes a diff.

Will report the result.

Flow rate is round 106 l/h

tubing is 11/8 mm

regards

I'm trying to upload the 2 pics but keep getting this error: Fatal error: PHP warning in file /srv/www/forum.aquacomputer.de/htdocs/wcf/lib/data/message/attachment/AttachmentsEditor.class.php (141): sha1_file(): Filename cannot be empty
chippie, the XT waterblock will only pick up 60watts maximum from the aquero, a temp difference of less than .1 C.
I think the real problem is the differnce in water flow rate. You are running 4.5 l/min., and I am running 1.6 max. I don't know what the rated water flow rate for the 600 pump is, but I doubt it is very high. We also do not know what size tubing Freshwater is useing, voltage to his pump or really anything.
Freshwater, please check that your pump is running at max, and there are no kinks/collapsed tubes, especially on the inlet side of the pump., On the 800d case, turn all fans except the hard drive fan to blow into the case at max, or run the system with the side cover off to make sure the radiator fans are not sucking air out of a low pressure region.
If the pump is running ree flowing at maximum speed, and your radiator fans are running at max, and the loop is free of air, then my two suggestions are to change to higher flow fans, or add a second pump inside the case to boost the flow. A cheap way to do a dirty test is to buy some cheap high flow rate fans and put them on the radiator. If max temp falls down to the high 40's then you can spend the time looking for quiet high flow rate fans. Yes putting 6 fans on the radiator will increase flow, but it is not a straight line increase for air flow, (there is a cube root in the equation), but doubling the water flow will cut the temperature difference in half on the radiator. For example, 53C - 29C = 24C. doubling the flow of air or water means the temperature difference should go to 12C or a water temp or 29C + 12C = 41C (approximatly) which is consistant with what chippie and I are seeing on our rigs. A 360 x 120 radiator should be good for dissipating the heat of 1000 to 1500 watts, so the real problem is a flow restriction, or just plain not enough pump for the job.
I hate to say this, but are you sure there is no stray piece of plastic wrap in the system? If I recall the adverts I have seen for the Modularity system, it should be easy to take off the ends and make sure there is nothing blocking the tubes.
Or send Shoggy an e-mail and wait for him to go back to work and see what he says.
good luck!
P.S. Please be a wierdo and post what you did to correct the problem!

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »FreshWater« (18. August 2012, 13:13)

- Dell U2711 27" monitor

Sonntag, 19. August 2012, 23:14

cc01

Today i took the systems apart to turn the fan to blow outside in. I even replaced 2 connectors with elbows just to be sure i had no bind in the tube. Well sad to say my fear came true. The inside temp got so high that the front of the Aquero 5xt came off. The glue heated up. Man i'm going nuts here. My water temp is around 52.5c and the inside air was on its way to 45c when i removed front and side panels. It looks to me like the 800D is very airtight or something like that. I just don't have enough airflow to use my setup like this blowing outside in. My flowrate has dropped from around 106 l/h to around 76 l/h but i guess that has to do with the 2 elbow connectors. They r coming out. Anyone ideas to help me out?

Regards
Freshwater,

There is no reason to fear turning your fans around. The heat dissipated by your radiator into the case will minimally affect your hardware temps. It is much easier for your fans to push air through a radiator than it is to pull. Pushing air from the OUTSIDE, ie the coolest air, into your case is the most effective way of using the radiator to remove heat from the coolant running through it. Remember - you are watercooling your hardware. Water retains heat much longer than air, and so as long as you are exhausting the internal air and creating proper airflow in your case, any internal thermal transfer will be insignificant on your hardware. I realise that your 800D case draws ambient air in from the bottom of the case, but I still think it would be worth experimenting by pushing ambient air through the radiator.

Also, flow rate above about 1 gal/min (~230 l/hr) will not significantly lower your water temps. The effect in lowering temps above this flow rate is less than 1C. I can run my pumps both at full speed or both at half speed and in either case they are above 1.5 gal/min and it makes no difference to my coolant temperature.

You have a problem, or a combination of problems, elsewhere in your setup. Your fans are sufficient for the job and I would say your pump is too as long as it is running at least 1 gal/min (~230 l/hr). Your pump is rated at 150 - 600 l/hr. Check what some of the other people have suggested in this thread. There might be air trapped in the radiator or something blocking a hose or an inlet? Have you checked that your coolant is actually flowing? Perhaps the pump is not working? Do you have the direction of flow correctly set up? I know that is a silly one but sometimes we can mistake an inlet for an outlet on a pump or waterblock. No matter how careful we are, it can be easy to forget some of these things when we are building our rigs ...

Check:

1) That your pump is working and actually receiving 12V, and checking for blockages.

2) Please do turn your fans around and push the cooler ambient air through the radiator. Radiator efficiency will have a much more significant impact on your coolant temps than anything else. I can run my system at full load on 3 graphics cards and CPU, plus motherboard cooling and Aquaero waterblock at ambient temp 25C and my coolant temp does not break 38C. In this scenario my internal case temp is 34C, which is 4C lower than the coolant temp and as such negligible to my hardware temps.

Good luck with troubleshooting and let us know what you find out!
- Dell U2711 27" monitor

Montag, 20. August 2012, 09:42

Your flow rate is far too low, as Larry initially suggested, that's why it's probably heating up so much. You need to address the problem with your flow, blockages etc, look at the whole package, not a piecemeal approach ... You have already ascertained that you had a flow rate of 106 l/hr on a pump that is capable of 600 l/hr and now it is even less. Your pump is either barely pumping or there is a blockage! Until you fix at least your flow rate and check your loop and pump thoroughly it doesn't matter what else you do the loop is going to heat up excessively.
Did you turn you intake fans around as well so that they exhaust the hot air???
Is your pump actually receiving 12V? Are you controlling your pump from Aquasuite? What information does Aquasuite give you about the pump?
Did you check the tubes? Is something blocking your tubes?
Is all the air properly bled out of the loop? Turn the case on its side with the pump going to make sure your top-mounted rad bleeds all the air out of its tubes.
The Airplex has a dedicated inlet and outlet? Did you check the direction of your flow through the whole loop?

Incredible flow rate

Montag, 20. August 2012, 14:59

That flow is a fire hose. The aquacomputer 720xt has a flow of 40L per HOUR! It keeps a 4.8 GHz 2700k at less that 50oC and 2 7970s never get above 42oC. (furmark, IBT, Prime) Max water temp is 40. The tank is 2 liters. Seems to work, but from what you all say, the XT flow rate is very very low. Pump is at 4200 rpm. Wow - I'm at less than 1 liter per min. ?(
AsRock E3Gen3, 2700k @4.6 with cuplex HF, 2 HD7970s with aquaC waterblocks, 16G GSkill 2133, TJ09, ST1500 ps, plextor 256 ssd, 2x1TB WD VRs raid 1, HP 30 inch. Aquacomputer 720XT Mk IV.

RE: Incredible flow rate

Montag, 20. August 2012, 16:18

That flow is a fire hose. The aquacomputer 720xt has a flow of 40L per HOUR! It keeps a 4.8 GHz 2700k at less that 50oC and 2 7970s never get above 42oC. (furmark, IBT, Prime) Max water temp is 40. The tank is 2 liters. Seems to work, but from what you all say, the XT flow rate is very very low. Pump is at 4200 rpm. Wow - I'm at less than 1 liter per min. ?(

It is realtive, the 720XT is an external system (no other temp influence from withing the PC case) with twice the cooling surface area that FreshWater has. Also the pump head does make a difference and the Compact 600 only has a head of 1.3m couple this with the 11/8 tubing being used and you are getting to the issue, sorry FreshWater. I would never go below 13/10 tubing personally.

As mentioned firstly check for any flow restrictions or trapped air in the rad. After which and if possible first thing to replace would be the pump (DDC-1T/Plus or a D5) either of these pumps, having a much higher head will give much better results even with the 11/8 tubing. As I mentioned before, I have found that if I run a higher flow rate my temps rise a little but there is a flow threshold and I feel you are well below it with your setup. If possible I would also try to move up to at least 13/10 tubing but I realise this is all extra expense hence starting with a good pump as you can always use that in any loop you have.

Dienstag, 21. August 2012, 01:51

Update.

What have i done today?
- I turned the fans to pull hot air from the radiator outside the case. Blowing inside the case was way worse for me.
- I added 3 Noctua NF-P12 in a push / pull combination.
- I applied Gelid GC-Extreme Thermal Compound to the CPU.
- I replaced to systems outlet fan with an Noctua NF-P14 FLX and it is an inlet together with the bottom fan now. So all the hot air is leaving the case via the radiator.
- Had the system on the side running as suggested in this post. I did see a few bubbles

The above actions resulted in my cpu dropping from 72c to 68c and my water temp from (the highest i got was 55c) to 48.6
My next step will be to contact shoggy when he's back to talk about my pump. Reading all the feedback i got i'm starting to think something is wrong with my pump. I do hear it. I do see the readout of the flowmeter and i dit see the fluid running (or is it crawling) through the tubes. But according to the feedback my flowrate isn't good enough.

Thanks so far for the feedback and advises. They've been a great help. Please keep them coming.
I will let you guys know how this all ends.

Regards
- Dell U2711 27" monitor

Dienstag, 21. August 2012, 12:32

Update

Talked to a technician at Aqua Computer today. Told him my problems and the feedback i got in here about the pump not being strong enough. His response was that any flow rate above 30 l/h is more than enough and this pump if have could easily drive 2 airplex 360 radiators. So that isn't the problem. He wants me to measure the radiator between the blades at different places to see if the whole radiator is being used (not blocked or something like that. So gonna dive in and do just that.

Update will follow
- Dell U2711 27" monitor

Technician

Dienstag, 21. August 2012, 15:00

Update

Talked to a technician at Aqua Computer today. Told him my problems and the feedback i got in here about the pump not being strong enough. His response was that any flow rate above 30 l/h is more than enough and this pump if have could easily drive 2 airplex 360 radiators. So that isn't the problem. He wants me to measure the radiator between the blades at different places to see if the whole radiator is being used (not blocked or something like that. So gonna dive in and do just that.

Update will follow

FreshWater - thanks. It's still difficult to come around to accepting that 30 l/h is good - but that is the range i'm in. Did you call a number you got from the website? English language?
Jpmboy
AsRock E3Gen3, 2700k @4.6 with cuplex HF, 2 HD7970s with aquaC waterblocks, 16G GSkill 2133, TJ09, ST1500 ps, plextor 256 ssd, 2x1TB WD VRs raid 1, HP 30 inch. Aquacomputer 720XT Mk IV.

RE: Technician

Dienstag, 21. August 2012, 15:06

jpmboy your welcome.

I got the number from the aqua computer site. Lucky for me they do speak english too.
I must say i was surprised to hear about the 30 l/h being all you need after i read so many other flow rates in hear that you needed to have a good cooling system. But hey what do i know. Just starting with water-cooling and it's not something i know a lot about.
Update

Update will follow

FreshWater - thanks. It's still difficult to come around to accepting that 30 l/h is good - but that is the range i'm in. Did you call a number you got from the website? English language?
Jpmboy
- Dell U2711 27" monitor

Flow rates

Dienstag, 21. August 2012, 15:20

I'm a novice at PC WC. But I do build/rebuild cars... And I that environment the water flow must be slowed down (thermostat at radiator) to allow sufficient residence time in the radiator to cool the water mix. No - don't punch out your thermostat!

I'm curious, what pump does AC use in the 720 and 360 (flagship products?)

RE: Flow rates

Dienstag, 21. August 2012, 15:40

That would be the c600 is i got it right for my airplex 360
I'm a novice at PC WC. But I do build/rebuild cars... And I that environment the water flow must be slowed down (thermostat at radiator) to allow sufficient residence time in the radiator to cool the water mix. No - don't punch out your thermostat!

I'm curious, what pump does AC use in the 720 and 360 (flagship products?)
- Dell U2711 27" monitor

Mittwoch, 22. August 2012, 02:17

I am not going to argue with the AC guys, I am just speaking from personal watercooling experiences (6 years of it)

It is not just the flow rate but the head that matters on the pump and the c600 has a very low head.

But as I mentioned previously and AC also seem to think the same it is probably more down to an obstruction, air or an issue with the radiator. I found it a real bugger to bleed the air out of my airplext first time round. Now that I use QD fittings I actually bleed my loop without any rads fitted and fill the rad up before adding it to the loop.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »chippie« (22. August 2012, 02:19)