• 18.04.2024, 16:29
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

ATX-BREAK on alarm and PC standby

Montag, 20. August 2012, 04:02

Hi,

Haven't got my aquaero yet (ordered a v5 LT) but I just had a quick question. I know the aquaero is fully independent of the PC and functions when it is not powered. With that in mind, if I set up an alarm to use the ATX break method so the aquaero powers off the PC for zero flow in the water loop, it occurs to me there may be a problem - if I put the PC in standby, and the aquaero detects the pump has stopped, will it trigger the ATX break or is there some workaround in place for this so that standby can work properly?

I know the ATX break cable also has the standby power for the aquaero on it - perhaps I should just not connect this, so the aquaero is not powered on when the PC is in standby, then this problem can't occur... I can't actually think of any reason why the aquaero would need to be powered on when the PC is off (at least not in my application) but there must be some reason that the ATX-break cable also includes the standby power connector???

Thanks

Donnerstag, 6. September 2012, 11:53

The aquaero can tell the difference between normal operation and standby pretty easy: when the PC is running the aquaero also gets power from the 4-pin plug while when the PC is in standby this power source is off but it still gets power via USB. The aquaero takes account of that.

The standby supply does not play any role here when the aquaero uses the 4-pin power supply and USB.

Sonntag, 9. September 2012, 03:19

The standby power for USB duplicates the function of the standby power cable? Is it my understanding the the standby power cable is only required for motherboards that do not supply standby power for USB or has that function disabled? Is this true for the Aquaduct as well?

Mittwoch, 12. September 2012, 05:41

Um, yes, maybe.
The Aquaero 5 needs standby power to keep the clock running. Some Motherboards/BIOS are capable of keeping the +5vDC going when the computer is shutdown, i.e. USB Charging functions are a feature on some machines. The standby power cable is a sure way of supplying that standby power to the AQ5 without fiddling around with BIOS.
The standby power cable also provides for a Hard Wired shut down command from the AQ5 if you use the relay and connect it to the green wire supplied with the standby power connector. I bought the standby power connector before I figured out how to keep USB power avaialble through the BIOS. I just left it in place. No conflicts. Besides, this way I don't have to try and remember the BIOS setting to keep USB alive when I upgrade the BIOS some time down the road.
AMD FX-8150 OctoCore O.C. 18% to 4.2 GHz on ASUS M5A99X EVO with 16 GB Corsair Dominator W. C. RAM, 2 nVIDIA Geforce 560TI W.C. in SLI, six Western Digital drives for a total of 4.07 TBytes, AquaComputer Aquero 5 Pro, AquaComputer D5 pump, Multiswitch USB, tubemeter and Kyros CPU block. Two coolant loops,CPU & SLI, MB, RAM and AQ5, with two flow meters. Running Windows 7 Professional 64, and using Open Hardware Monitor v0.5.1Beta Aquasuite B16 hardware temps.

Mittwoch, 12. September 2012, 09:37

For the aquaduct you must connect the standby power since the USB will not power the controller when it is turned off.

Sonntag, 16. September 2012, 14:41

Just to update this, I haven't tested standby yet, but I understand it will work OK.

However, I did need to have standby power connected to use the ATX break function - I have my PSU's ATX-break line connected to the NC (normally closed) pair of relay contacts. If I test triggering an alarm without the standby power connected, the aquaero disconnects ATX break and the PSU powers off, however it comes back on immediately. What I think happens, is the aquaero reacts correctly and opens the relay, but then the aquaeros power fails immediately, and the relay springs closed again. In order to hold the relay open and keep the PSU off, the aquaero needs to have standby power.

I never tested this, but I did think of setting "relay on" in the
"normal operation" alarm actions, then connecting ATX break across the
NO "normally open" relay contacts, however I suspect that for the same
reason (the aquaero having no power when the PC is off), that may also
not work, since without standby power the aquaero would have those relay
contacts open when powered off, and the PC wouldn't be able to be
turned on at all.

I guess that means that with standby power connected as I have it now, if there is an alarm triggered, in order to then power the PC back on again, it is necessary to power-cycle the aquaero to reset the relay. Not tested that far yet though.

Montag, 17. September 2012, 00:17

I am curious as to why you are not useing the Tachometer output signal from the Aquaero5 to the CPU fan connector on the motherboard? Then just set the AQ5 to turn tacho signal off during an alarm condition, and the motherboard BIOS to shut down the cumputer if there is a CPU fan failure.
That is what I do on all three of my systems, and it works just fine. Set the time delay for 20seconds on the alarm actions page, and you should be good to go.
AMD FX-8150 OctoCore O.C. 18% to 4.2 GHz on ASUS M5A99X EVO with 16 GB Corsair Dominator W. C. RAM, 2 nVIDIA Geforce 560TI W.C. in SLI, six Western Digital drives for a total of 4.07 TBytes, AquaComputer Aquero 5 Pro, AquaComputer D5 pump, Multiswitch USB, tubemeter and Kyros CPU block. Two coolant loops,CPU & SLI, MB, RAM and AQ5, with two flow meters. Running Windows 7 Professional 64, and using Open Hardware Monitor v0.5.1Beta Aquasuite B16 hardware temps.

Montag, 17. September 2012, 11:26

Hi Larrywill,

I have tach output connected as well. My motherboard doesn't shut down on RPM signals as far as I can tell, but I am going to install AIDA64 to monitor the rpm signal and shut down if it stops.

I've also connected ATX break so I have a second level of protection, if the shutdown doesn't work (shutdown hangs, rpm signal stop when windows isn't running etc.).

Montag, 17. September 2012, 12:46

Most if not all motherboards will shutdown if there is no signal to the CPU fan header for x seconds. If this did not exist then there would be lots of mini fires all over the world! :D

Check your bios settings as even though by default this should be enabled it may for some reason not be on your system. As an example I had to disable it as I do not run a CPU fan.

Pilo

Montag, 3. Dezember 2012, 07:35

Todays CPUs have all build in overheat protection to prevent damage from overheating...you can test it...remove the cpu cooler while your system is running...lol...
->Darin Epsilon - PERSPECTIVES<-
Mr. SuicideSheep @ soundcloud.com
Test Shot Starfish @ soundcloud.com
Professor Kliq @ soundcloud.com

Montag, 3. Dezember 2012, 20:22

I use the ATX break set up with the aquaduct and set the relay to close for 2 seconds which will effect a system shutdown if defined "system failure" criteria are met. The 5v line powers the aquaduct's control unit in standby which will reset the relay on restart, ignore alarm conditions for 10 sec, and power up. Testing worked fine but no real-time event has occured, thankfully! I was not able to use the tach signal for this purpose.
AsRock E3Gen3, 2700k @4.6 with cuplex HF, 2 HD7970s with aquaC waterblocks, 16G GSkill 2133, TJ09, ST1500 ps, plextor 256 ssd, 2x1TB WD VRs raid 1, HP 30 inch. Aquacomputer 720XT Mk IV.