• 19.04.2024, 14:54
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Nutman

RGB illumination module for aquaero 5 - More LEDs?

Samstag, 20. Oktober 2012, 13:39

I currently own an Aquaero 5 XT and will soon be purchasing the Aqualis reservoir.

This reservoir has room for 6 LEDs and I'm thinking about plugging in the "RGB illumination module for aquaero 5" into one of the slots. However, that's just one. 5 to go!
I'm not sure if the "RGB illumination module for aquaero 5" is powerful enough to lighten up the entire res, so I was wondering if it was possible to add 5 more RGB LEDs to the module? I'm quite good with a soldering iron, so there'll be no issues there, but I was just wondering if the RGB output on the Aquaero 5 can handle 5 more high-power RGB LEDs?

If yes, should I add the LEDs in serial or parallel? And should there be a resistor added somewhere, or is that already built into the Aquaero 5's RGB output?
/MotoMazz

RGB

Samstag, 20. Oktober 2012, 19:53

I have the aquabox professional and wanted to use 3 RGB LEDS but was told by support that the Aquaero can't handle this.

Nutman

Samstag, 20. Oktober 2012, 20:50

Interesting.

I had no problems using 2 x 2-colour LEDs on the old Aquaero 3.07, so I'm wondering HOW many RGB LEDs the Aquaero 5 can handle.

Can we get Shoggy on the floor, please? ;)
/MotoMazz

Sonntag, 21. Oktober 2012, 03:35

Never tried on the aquaero and not sure what output it can provide but if you do try, they need to be parallel - in series they will be dim.

If you can't use the RGB output, you could put single colour LEDs on the PWM outputs (the 2 pin ones) - I'm not sure of the current rating though, so you'd have to check that, but they work fine for the single ultra-bright UV LED I have in my res.

Sonntag, 21. Oktober 2012, 08:10

This thread http://forum.aquacomputer.de/weitere-for…101669-rgb-led/ suggests that you can only use one RGB LED on the Aquaero.

Nutman

Sonntag, 21. Oktober 2012, 21:49

Never tried on the aquaero and not sure what output it can provide but if you do try, they need to be parallel - in series they will be dim.

If you can't use the RGB output, you could put single colour LEDs on the PWM outputs (the 2 pin ones) - I'm not sure of the current rating though, so you'd have to check that, but they work fine for the single ultra-bright UV LED I have in my res.
I was going to use the LED output with a RGB LED, making it possible to switch colour as the temperature changes. Not sure if the PWM outputs would be able to display the temperature changes? Is this selectable in Aquasuite 2012?
This thread RGB LED suggests that you can only use one RGB LED on the Aquaero.
Ok, thanks for the link. Off to read that thread now. Will post more info here when I've gotten wiser. ;)
/MotoMazz

Sonntag, 21. Oktober 2012, 22:37

"I was going to use the LED output with a RGB LED, making it possible to switch colour as the temperature changes. Not sure if the PWM outputs would be able to display the temperature changes? Is this selectable in Aquasuite 2012?"

No, you couldn't do that with these outputs - they are just a PWM modulated 12v output, so you can dim on them, but there's no facility for multiple colours.#

I think you could hack something together - there are two PWM outputs, so what you could do is have say blue LEDs on output 1, and red on output 2. You'd then set up two controllers, one with the blue LEDs as it's output, and one with the red, and have them so that the blue, for example, were bright from 0 to 30 degrees water temperature then turned off above 30, then the red switched on at 30. Of course you could also do this with any other temperature, or with a virtual temperature sensor like a delta. I have not tried this, but I just had a look in aquasuite and you can definitely assign these outputs to a curve controller, so I'm sure it would work.

Nutman

Sonntag, 21. Oktober 2012, 23:12

Well, maybe I should just wait and see how powerful that RGB module is - could be that it's fine for lighting up the entire res on its own.
/MotoMazz

Dienstag, 23. Oktober 2012, 08:07

It is plenty powerful to run two. Just make or buy a Y-Cable. As long as you want them both to be the same. I am running two right now into my koolance front mount res.

Nutman

Mittwoch, 24. Oktober 2012, 21:45

OK, now I'm a bit confused??? Aqua Computer support team says "Max. one" and you say "Can easily handle 2"???

Shoooooggy? I need some solid facts here! :D
/MotoMazz

Mittwoch, 24. Oktober 2012, 22:13

I see you are stuck between "Design" and actual.
The unit is designed for only ONE RGB LED output and that is all any employee will tell you, it is the only thing he can tell you. My son has a Tee Shirt that he wears, it says: "I void Warranties"
I have the RGB Led in the back center position of my Aquatube Res. So that it is directly facing the view window.
I use it for the nightlight in the office. I can see the water waves on the opposite wall with the lights out.
I think useing the Aquabus 4 pin Y cable will work just fine, and then fill the other four spots on the Res with solid color ones driven by the PWM outputs of the AQ5. Set up a controller related to temperature and the PWM output. Done.
Be aware that the AC RGB LED is a 5mm diameter, and most other LED holes are 3mm to fit single color LEDs.
AMD FX-8150 OctoCore O.C. 18% to 4.2 GHz on ASUS M5A99X EVO with 16 GB Corsair Dominator W. C. RAM, 2 nVIDIA Geforce 560TI W.C. in SLI, six Western Digital drives for a total of 4.07 TBytes, AquaComputer Aquero 5 Pro, AquaComputer D5 pump, Multiswitch USB, tubemeter and Kyros CPU block. Two coolant loops,CPU & SLI, MB, RAM and AQ5, with two flow meters. Running Windows 7 Professional 64, and using Open Hardware Monitor v0.5.1Beta Aquasuite B16 hardware temps.

Nutman

Donnerstag, 25. Oktober 2012, 00:12

I see you are stuck between "Design" and actual.
The unit is designed for only ONE RGB LED output and that is all any employee will tell you, it is the only thing he can tell you. My son has a Tee Shirt that he wears, it says: "I void Warranties"
I have the RGB Led in the back center position of my Aquatube Res. So that it is directly facing the view window.
I use it for the nightlight in the office. I can see the water waves on the opposite wall with the lights out.
I think useing the Aquabus 4 pin Y cable will work just fine, and then fill the other four spots on the Res with solid color ones driven by the PWM outputs of the AQ5. Set up a controller related to temperature and the PWM output. Done.
Be aware that the AC RGB LED is a 5mm diameter, and most other LED holes are 3mm to fit single color LEDs.
3 mm.? Doesn't say so anywhere in all descriptions I've seen of the Aqualis reservoirs. I assumed it would be 5 mm.?
/MotoMazz

Donnerstag, 25. Oktober 2012, 09:34

Shoggy made a post Overview of all products from the last days" and said the six LED mounts for the Aqualis are 5mm.
I was trying to point out most single color LEDs I have seen are 3mm.
Just trying to point out possiable problems when you buy LEDs.
PS, if you get single color LEDs for your new res, they should be rated for the 12vdc output of the PWM outputs on the AQ5. Also, make sure you get the plugs from AC that fit the AQ5 PWM connectors.
AMD FX-8150 OctoCore O.C. 18% to 4.2 GHz on ASUS M5A99X EVO with 16 GB Corsair Dominator W. C. RAM, 2 nVIDIA Geforce 560TI W.C. in SLI, six Western Digital drives for a total of 4.07 TBytes, AquaComputer Aquero 5 Pro, AquaComputer D5 pump, Multiswitch USB, tubemeter and Kyros CPU block. Two coolant loops,CPU & SLI, MB, RAM and AQ5, with two flow meters. Running Windows 7 Professional 64, and using Open Hardware Monitor v0.5.1Beta Aquasuite B16 hardware temps.

Nutman

Donnerstag, 25. Oktober 2012, 22:11

Would they need to be rated for 12VDC for the PWM outputs? Could I just add a resistor, like one normally would do when running "regular" LED's on a 12VDC supply?
/MotoMazz

Sonntag, 28. Oktober 2012, 15:08

Yes, if you know how to use the resistor.
I was just pointing out that the AQ5 PWM output is 12v.
I think I have figured out how to control a second RGB LED based on temperature change. Connect it like this:
PWM 1 to blue leg,
PWM 2 to common of relay, Normally open of relay to Red LED, Normally closed side of relay to Green LED.
Temperature controller Blue between 20 to 30 Degree C with output PWM1,
Temperature controller 2 for Green between 30 and 40 degrees. output PWM2
Temperature controller 3 at 40 degrees to switch relay ON at 40 degrees.
Result is blue LED variable 20 to 30, green variable 30 to 40 and red above 40
How is that for a nice project? And the best part is you can run a LOT of RGB LEDS from this configuration.

Nutman

Montag, 29. Oktober 2012, 23:00

Hm, I'm not quite sure how to do this.

Could you perhaps draw the schematics, to take any confusion out of the equation?
/MotoMazz

Montag, 29. Oktober 2012, 23:53

Not on your life!

I can dream these things up, then I hire an electronics guy to do it.!

Sorry, I thought that since resistors were mentioned IRT makeing LEDs for 12vdc that this kind of thing was understood. I think it would be simple for someone who knows what wire is which with an LED.

Nutman

Dienstag, 30. Oktober 2012, 01:21

Nono, I do know how to use a resistor for attaching standard LEDs to a 12VDC line. I can't remember the resistance (KOhm) of the resistors I am using - I have simply forgotten what the colour codes mean (but Google is my friend, right?).

No, (and don't get me wrong now) I simply didn't understand your language - or the way you're building up your sentences. For instance: what did you mean by "PWM 2 to common of relay"? To connect the 12VDC+ line from PWM #2 to the relay somehow? What is the "common" of a relay? The middle pin, or...?
And while we're on the subject of the relay, I'm guessing that by "Normally open of relay to Red LED", you mean that one of the other pins on the relay (left pin or right pin) should be connected to the leg for RED light on the RGB LED, while "Normally closed side of relay to Green LED" simply means to connect the remaining relay pin to the the leg for GREEN light on the RGB LED?
And, I'm guessing this is because I have yet not any experience with the Aquaero 5: "Temperature controller Blue", "Temperature controller 2" and "Temperature controller 3" doesn't mean I need to have 3 temperature sensors in my system (I'm only going to have one: an inline sensor sitting in the water loop), but somehow assign a temperature spectrum to send a signal to either PWM 1 or 2, depending on the temperature, right?

And while it's a nice project, I really don't want the colour changes to be so abrupt. On my old Aquaero 3.07 I was able to, by using a 2-colour LED, gradually change the light from e.g. GREEN to RED. Shouldn't this also be possible somehow on the Aquaero 5?
/MotoMazz

Dienstag, 30. Oktober 2012, 11:20

OK, lets try again.

The PWM outputs 1&2 have two pins. One of them is ground, one is 12 vdc. I simply suggested that the ground of PWM 1&2 be connected to the ground of the LED, and the voltage or hot pin of the PWM connector be connected to the LED leg of the desired color. You have figured out the other parts. I was taught that the middle pin of a relay is called the common leg, and the normally closed leg is the pin that the common leg of a relay connects to when the relay coil is not powered. I do not have the instruction manuals with me, so I cannot say which pin is wich. Shoggy may have the pins memorized, but I do not. I don't work for Aqua Computer, I just play with the products and try to help when people have problems or questions I can answer.

Yes, the controllers available with the Aquaero 5 allow for gradual changes in output with a change in temperature, and more than one controller can use the same input temperature sensor, so you can use just one temperature sensor for lots of control functions.

Yes, the AQ5 does have a RGB LED that gradually changes colors from blue to green to red, It connects to the RGB LED connector on the AQ5.

But the Aquaero 5 only has ONE RGB LED. This thread started because someone wanted TWO of them, controlled seperatly. Which is not possiable because the factory only installed one RGB LED Control connection.. I simply suggested a way for some one who knows electronics to wire up a second LED that will change colors depending on a temperature, independant of the factory installed controller.

I maed a comment that the GRB LED supplied by Aquacomputer is a 5mm device, and it lights up the Res in my machine very well. If you want five more LEDS for your Aqualis res, just get five more 5mm LEDs and power them from the PWM 1 or 2 12vdc output connectors.

Nutman

Mittwoch, 31. Oktober 2012, 18:21

Thanks for the reply - I understand your suggestion, but it's far too complex, I'm afraid.

I am the thread-starter and no, I didn't want just 2 RGB LEDs that were individually controllable. I wanted to attach a total of 6 RGB LEDs to the RGB LED output of the Aquaero 5, as I am going to purchase an Aqualis reservoir, which has room for 6 5 mm. LEDs. I was just wondering if the Aquaero 5 would be able to handle the (rather limited) increased load from adding more than just one RGB LED, but I guess it's harder to get a straight up technical explanation from AC as to why it's NOT possible. Thanks for your explanation, though. I appreciate it!
/MotoMazz