• 25.04.2024, 19:35
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Virtual Sensor Temp Difference Reading Question

Donnerstag, 22. November 2012, 22:32

HI All -

Can't seem to find info on this. I just got the aquaero 5 up and running. I'm using aquasuite 2012 and am just playing around with it at this point to learn how it works - I'm not actually trying to do anything serious.

So I went and I set up a virtual sensor. I choose absolute temp difference mode. I dropped two temp sensors into the data sources box. These temp sensor were maybe 2 degrees apart. But the output from the virtual sensor said something like 30 degrees. I've tried both absolute and non absolute, tried different temp sensors as data sources, changed the order in which I enter the sensors in to the drop boxes, and I always get some really wrong looking number. A few times the difference was close to being correct, but was off by 6 or so degrees. Usually the number I see is saying the difference is 30, 40, or 50 degrees. I thought there might be some sort of offset for the virtual sensors, but I can't seem to find one. And besides, I haven't seen a real clear pattern in the temp differences that would make me think they're being effected by a constant offset.

The other virtual sensor modes (avg, max, min) all work. Any ideas anyone?

Maybe I should say how expect this to work, because maybe I've got the wrong idea. I'd expect that if I drop two sensors, sensor X and sensor Y, into a virtual sensor, and set it to absolute temp difference mode, the output of the virtual sensor should = |X - Y|. For the non-absolute difference mode, I'd just expect it to be X - Y or Y - X maybe depending on the order you placed the sensors into the drop boxes.

Thanks!

Donnerstag, 22. November 2012, 23:49

If you are useing F instead of C, the formula for calculating the temerature difference is wrong. And AquaComputer will not change it.

The calculation is correct if you use Centegrade.
AMD FX-8150 OctoCore O.C. 18% to 4.2 GHz on ASUS M5A99X EVO with 16 GB Corsair Dominator W. C. RAM, 2 nVIDIA Geforce 560TI W.C. in SLI, six Western Digital drives for a total of 4.07 TBytes, AquaComputer Aquero 5 Pro, AquaComputer D5 pump, Multiswitch USB, tubemeter and Kyros CPU block. Two coolant loops,CPU & SLI, MB, RAM and AQ5, with two flow meters. Running Windows 7 Professional 64, and using Open Hardware Monitor v0.5.1Beta Aquasuite B16 hardware temps.

Donnerstag, 22. November 2012, 23:59

If you are useing F instead of C, the formula for calculating the temerature difference is wrong. And AquaComputer will not change it.

The calculation is correct if you use Centegrade.

Huh? The programmers at Aquacomputer won't correct an error as simple as that? Did they actually say that? Do you know why?
Dogs live by four simple rules: Eat, Sleep, Play, Love. The world would be a much better place if we humans lived by only these rules as well.

Freitag, 23. November 2012, 00:13

Yep.

Aquasuite 2012 math error

says it all.
AMD FX-8150 OctoCore O.C. 18% to 4.2 GHz on ASUS M5A99X EVO with 16 GB Corsair Dominator W. C. RAM, 2 nVIDIA Geforce 560TI W.C. in SLI, six Western Digital drives for a total of 4.07 TBytes, AquaComputer Aquero 5 Pro, AquaComputer D5 pump, Multiswitch USB, tubemeter and Kyros CPU block. Two coolant loops,CPU & SLI, MB, RAM and AQ5, with two flow meters. Running Windows 7 Professional 64, and using Open Hardware Monitor v0.5.1Beta Aquasuite B16 hardware temps.

Freitag, 23. November 2012, 02:36

Thanks Larry! I am indeed using F - I almost wondered if that was the problem but instead of switching to C I said, naw, can't be.

I read the link you posted. That's.... incredible. Maybe something was lost in translation, but it's two lines of code to take the number aquasuite is going to display to the screen, check a flag to see if it should be F or C, and then run it through the conversion formula. In other words, they could just do the conversion right before the user sees it if they feel it's too complicated to put it into the code that does the temp delta calculation. Just wow. I must be missing part of their explanation.

Freitag, 23. November 2012, 07:12

This has a simpe reason:
°C an Kelvin are standard units in technical applications. All calucations in the device are processced with this units. Offsets, DIfferences, Controller ....
°C an K is used in ALL Technical application - worldwide.

Only to show the values to the display we convert the units.
When you convert a diffence to F the result is not correct.
°F diff °F not the same as °C diff °C to °F.

We can not change this in the device.

Freitag, 23. November 2012, 07:37

Thanks for explaining. I'm well aware of the prevalance of C over F in scientific and engineering calculations and devices (and that's how it should be, the C scale is easier to work with). I use it myself for that sort of thing. It's just I grew up with F, so I don't have an intuitive feel for just how warm a value in C is. When I'm just looking at a temp. like CPU temps or water temps, I like to see it in F so I can say, wow, that's really warm!

So maybe I've missed what you're saying, and I did oversimplify things in my previous post (my apologies), but it sounds like what AS has is the delta T in C, regardless of what the display units are set to, and that temps are converted to F only at the point of display. Thus, in the case of detla T values, once AS has calculated the delta in degrees C, couldn't it just multiply that value by 9/5 to get the delta T in F?

For example, delta T of 50 C (122 F) and 40 C (104 F) is 10 C (18 F). Well, if one multiplies 10 by 9/5, one gets 18....

I'd like to understand if I'm missing something, but it seems to work. It's no different than the C to F conversion you do for the straight temp readings except that you don't have to add or subtract the 32 degree offset, since it's a difference, not an absolute value.

Thanks again!

Freitag, 23. November 2012, 14:02

You people have made[ a wonderful product.

I hate to see an error that cannot be fixed.

The product is marked "Made in Germany" Germany is in Europe last time I looked.

Americans know Europe has stopped useing the F scale.

Just delete the F option if it cannot be made to work correctly.

Or, better yet, delete F unit display from the Aquaero, and let AS2012 convert and display F temps correctly, while AQ5 only shows C.

I know dealing with those backwards Americans is a pain in the butt, but if you allow the F scale, it should work . If you cannot make F scale work correctly, then it should not be offered.

Freitag, 23. November 2012, 15:03

The problem is:
A virtual SENSOR is after the difference calculation a completely new sensor. You can´t to differ this sensor from other sensors.

Freitag, 23. November 2012, 19:19

Larry, well put! I don't mean to be nit-picky and I agree with what you said about it working or not being there. It won't kill me to get used to looking at C temps, that's for sure. And the aquaero seems to be a pretty nice piece of hardware.

Sebastian, thanks for explaining more. I'm still not sure I see the why this change would be impossible- all the info is floating around in aquasuite, from the original sensor readings, to which sensor readings go into making a virtual sensor reading. That said, I understand that based on the software architecture and how the virtual sensors are implemented (which is what you were speaking about in your last post), that the change would be difficult - or at least difficult to do in an elegant way w/o resorting to a hack - and therefore due to ROI reasons, AC doesn't want make the change, which is understandable, if unfortunate for us pesky Americans. ;)

There's plenty of other threads on this forum dealing with issues that need real help (including another from me! :D ), so please don't worry about this anymore, with the exception of taking the knowledge forward when planning future releases that there is at least some interest in the user base at seeing virtual sensors display in F.

Dienstag, 10. März 2015, 16:26

I realize this is a very old thread. After thinking about it, the solution seems plain and simple to me. Go ahead and keep all internal calculations in C, then when it's time to display the value, IF the calculation is a difference, just don't add 32 to the value after scaling to F. What's so hard about that?