• 20.04.2024, 03:26
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Memory Leak in AS 2012-6

Donnerstag, 3. Januar 2013, 18:53

My Aquasuite 2012-6 is set to run when Windows starts up, and to minimize to the tray. The AS service is on, and starts up with the suite. Open Hardware Monitor also runs at start up. Last night I left the computer on all night. When I went to use it this morning, it could not even get the desktop back. Both the Task Manager and the Resource Monitor showed that the process Aquasuite had used over .87GB, or 870,000KB of private memory. Private memory is the actual hardware memory used by a process that can not be shared with other applications or processes. Together with the sharable memory AS 2012-6 had over 1.25GB of memory it was using. That is clearly way too much.

To restart the computer I had to hit the restart button on the case to restart the machine, because it would not even give me the start menu so I could shut it down that way. On start up AS 2012-6 had about 71,000KB of private memory used, 152,000KB to 155,000KB of total working memory (physical private + sharable physical memory). After the restart the amount of both private and sharable memory that AS 2102-6 uses would fluctuate up and down, with both the low and high points slowly advancing upwards. In the time that it took to type the above sentence, the private memory increased to 81,500KB, with total physical memory at 155,260KB. And it keeps slowly increasing. All logging is disabled.

While a total physical memory use of 155,000K is perfectly acceptable, over 1,250,000KB or 1.25GB is ludicrous. The only thing that I can think of is that, somehow, AS 2012-6 has some sort of memory leak. Open Hardware Monitor does not expand its use of memory, nor did the one other program I left running all night.

Do you guys know of this problem? If you need any more information, please either post or PM me and I'll get whatever I can and send it to you.

PS: After previewing this post and getting ready to push the "Submit" button, the private memory use has increased to over 83,000KB, and the total physical memory to almost 157,000KB.
Dogs live by four simple rules: Eat, Sleep, Play, Love. The world would be a much better place if we humans lived by only these rules as well.

Donnerstag, 3. Januar 2013, 22:41

It is now 4:37 pm, or 16:37. I left AS 2012-6 running after the earlier post, also Resource Monitor and Task Manager. AS 2012-6 is now, just under 4 hours after the first post, above, using: Private (unsharable hardware memory) 371,136KB, Shared (sharable hardware memory) 91, 508 KB. The total is about 467,800KB, this, like the other numbers fluctuates around, up and down, but always trends upward.
Dogs live by four simple rules: Eat, Sleep, Play, Love. The world would be a much better place if we humans lived by only these rules as well.

Donnerstag, 3. Januar 2013, 23:01

Your OS is ? Service Packs ?

Can you Post a List of Services Running ?

Is a Special Database Engine Running like ms-SQL or PostgreSQL ?

(Sorry for caps - iPad Special)

Freitag, 4. Januar 2013, 05:14

Windows 7 - 64 bit

No database engines or backends running.

I do know how to read, and Task Manager and Resource Monitor both showed ONLY aquasuite.exe hogging the memory.

The Task Manager list of services running is pretty big. I'll try to get to it tomorrow morning. If you are looking for a specific service that is related to Aquasuite 2012-6, it is easier to give me the names of the services that Aquasuite is responsible for and let me see whether or not they are running. FWIW Task Manager shows that the process aquasuite.exe does not have any services running.

Edit: Tonight I will leave AS 2012-6 running with ONLY OHM 0.5.1 running to provide it with data. There will be no other programs running. And as of now, the process aquasuite.exe has 378,876KB of memory tied up. Going to bed now.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Scott Loves Dogs« (4. Januar 2013, 05:33)

Freitag, 4. Januar 2013, 20:33

And now, after the computer has been running and ignored while I fed and walked my Dog, Aquasuite's (2012-6) numbers are as shown below:

Private Memory: above 418,000KB, and climbing

Sharable memory: 81,040 KB seems stable, but will climb much slower than private memory

The New One (Ta-Da!), CPU use by Aquasuite: 35% to 45%, bouncing around between those two percentages quickly, occasionally going as high as upper 40% range, and as low as 29%, either for just a blink of an eye.

This is all ridiculous because when first started AS 2012-6 uses around 100,000KB to 125,000KB of private memory and 5% or less of the processor. And it runs just fine with the resources it starts up with.

I'm going to uninstall 2012-6 and reinstall 2012-5 and see if there is a difference.

PS, after a quick preview and correcting a few typos, AS 2012-6 is up to 458,000 KB, still in same % of CPU utilization range.

Freitag, 4. Januar 2013, 23:18

Yeah SLD, i noticed this issue a few threads back. It is easist to monitor this with Process Explorer (google it, if you cant find it, i'll post the program here). AS 2012-6 will comsume an extraordinary amount of memory and cpu... Try closing AS and then restart it ,but do not open a page. Tis will stop the memory leak, but defeats the purpose of the program - eh.

I have found that after viewing a data page, if i click on another page - like the AS tab- and minimize AS, the memory hogging is reduced but not eliminated. Even though AS stores about 1 hour of data, it does not seem to be releasing any ober time... Eg a flush and refill. I do think that Sebastien can fix this memory pile problem.
AsRock E3Gen3, 2700k @4.6 with cuplex HF, 2 HD7970s with aquaC waterblocks, 16G GSkill 2133, TJ09, ST1500 ps, plextor 256 ssd, 2x1TB WD VRs raid 1, HP 30 inch. Aquacomputer 720XT Mk IV.

Samstag, 5. Januar 2013, 00:24

Hi, jpmboy:

It looks like you are right about the memory flush then refill cycle AS is supposed to do. Mine has done a few today. But it has also missed one today, and clearly missed a few last night. Maybe Sebastian or Shoggy will have a look at the threads about AS 2012-6. They have probably been off for the holidays, and are now trying to catch up with things.

I'm also quite concerned about the high CPU utilization. Right now Aquasuite 2012-6 alone is bouncing up and down between 40% and lower 50% range. There is no reason for that much CPU usage. Everything else, combined, is utilizing between 2% and 7% (fluctuates rapidly).

The main reason that I bought the AE 5 LT for was to control my water cooling system to keep it quiet and ramp up the fans when temperatures increase due to high CPU loading. It's pretty useless if its software is loading the CPU enough to keep the temperatures up.

AS 2012-6 is also pretty useless if it will hog memory so badly that the computer will occasionally get nearly locked up because one process is reserving 1.25GB or more for use.

Edit: I remembered that older thread you mentioned, but could not find it.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Scott Loves Dogs« (5. Januar 2013, 00:26)

Samstag, 5. Januar 2013, 02:24

Sabastian pointed out the first time a similar issue was brought up that AS2012 used Microsoft.net for everything it does.

Also, when drawing/refreshing graphics, it uses a lot of .net routines that are CPU/resource hogs.

Third, one of the big restrictions they are faced with, specifically making the correct formula for calculating Differntial Temperatures in Farenheight correctly, is that AS2012 is only the GUI interface between the computer operator and the AQ 5 hardware. Once the device is installed and set up through AS2012, the AQ 5 does all the work without the Computer CPU involvement, unless AS2012 is left open on a desktop, then AS2012 uses .net and the AQ 5 hardware to make the pretty pictures.

Result: If I am in power user mode, I sutdown AS2012 and no problems exist. If I am web crawling, AS 2012 is up and doing its thing.

I have not tried to write a program in 30+ years, so I might be over simplifying, but I think I am basically correct.

If not, sorry but I tried.
AMD FX-8150 OctoCore O.C. 18% to 4.2 GHz on ASUS M5A99X EVO with 16 GB Corsair Dominator W. C. RAM, 2 nVIDIA Geforce 560TI W.C. in SLI, six Western Digital drives for a total of 4.07 TBytes, AquaComputer Aquero 5 Pro, AquaComputer D5 pump, Multiswitch USB, tubemeter and Kyros CPU block. Two coolant loops,CPU & SLI, MB, RAM and AQ5, with two flow meters. Running Windows 7 Professional 64, and using Open Hardware Monitor v0.5.1Beta Aquasuite B16 hardware temps.

Samstag, 5. Januar 2013, 14:07

I thought this memory leak might have been addressed in -6, but it was not. Dissapointing. Here's a few screenshots with up to 1.3MB of private bytes... i did not do anything special to get to 1.3 (in AS-4), just let it sit Minimized in a page view.

If i just leave it sitting minimized without any page active, it wil not build a memory pile after days, so it's something with the 1 hour data and plain old good housekeeping practices in the code.
»jpmboy« hat folgende Bilder angehängt:
  • AS2012-6.png
  • AS memory.png
AsRock E3Gen3, 2700k @4.6 with cuplex HF, 2 HD7970s with aquaC waterblocks, 16G GSkill 2133, TJ09, ST1500 ps, plextor 256 ssd, 2x1TB WD VRs raid 1, HP 30 inch. Aquacomputer 720XT Mk IV.

Samstag, 5. Januar 2013, 14:14

Sysinternal suite:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb842062

Larry - we run lots of software that uses .net. AS2012just needs some polishing. It is a very nice piece of software for setting up controls with great features like the "send to Desktop" feature... but using this will build a memory stack that is essentially out of control.
»jpmboy« hat folgendes Bild angehängt:
  • desktop.png

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »jpmboy« (5. Januar 2013, 14:22)

Samstag, 5. Januar 2013, 17:33

Sabastian pointed out the first time a similar issue was brought up that AS2012 used Microsoft.net for everything it does.

Also, when drawing/refreshing graphics, it uses a lot of .net routines that are CPU/resource hogs.

Third, one of the big restrictions they are faced with, specifically making the correct formula for calculating Differntial Temperatures in Farenheight correctly, is that AS2012 is only the GUI interface between the computer operator and the AQ 5 hardware. Once the device is installed and set up through AS2012, the AQ 5 does all the work without the Computer CPU involvement, unless AS2012 is left open on a desktop, then AS2012 uses .net and the AQ 5 hardware to make the pretty pictures.

Result: If I am in power user mode, I sutdown AS2012 and no problems exist. If I am web crawling, AS 2012 is up and doing its thing.

I have not tried to write a program in 30+ years, so I might be over simplifying, but I think I am basically correct.

If not, sorry but I tried.
Larry, whether you are on the right track or not, if Aquacomputer is building graphics displays into AS 2012-6 (or any other version), then they need to know about this so they can fix it. Aquacomputer is (rightly) proud of the graphics capabilities of AS, and they are a bunch of meticulous guys (and, maybe, girls). They would never just leave AS as it is, and say "too bad, it is .net that is causing the problem."

I have confidence that they will fix it somehow. It may take a while because they might have to contact tech support at Microsoft, and they might wait a long time for a reply. But, note that the earlier, beta, versions of AS did not exhibit this problem, at least not to this degree.

While .net is, or can be, a resource hog, I tend to favor jpmboy's theory. The hypothesis of failure of "flush and refill" of memory nearly perfectly fits the symptoms. The only thing that jpmboy's theory does not explain is the slowly increasing use of the processor. That might be tied to the flush and refill failing somehow. But I think AS would not run nicely when first started, which it does, drawing graphics on the desktop, etc., if it was a problem with .net. When first started, AS runs well with only about 73,000KB of memory, and an average of 1.5 to 2 % of processor capability. And it can run with those resources for quite a while before it begins to hog memory. Note that it seems to hog memory first, then start hogging CPU time later on.

I leave all of my temps to display in deg. C, so problems caused by any conversion to deg. F is not an issue with my system. It looks like jpmboy does the same thing, even leaving his flow rates in metric units.

To make my intentions clear I would only like Sebastian or Shoggy to let us know that they are aware of our posts and of the problem. If they know about it, I am quite confident that they will fix it. My main concern with this problem, which is the latest one, is that it may be beginning to hurt AC's image. And that, in turn, might affect their sales/existence. They are a good company with ambitious goals. They work hard to build the AE 5 system and its software, and it would be unfair if they lost out because of some minor bugs, and the intolerance of some users (not us). I'd actually like them to gain market share and get more well known, in a good way, here in the US.

Sonntag, 6. Januar 2013, 00:40

I totally agree about your closing statements. I just wanted to throw in some info I read some time back for you guys to be aware of.

Personally I have not seen any of this kind of problem, but then I do not use the data collection functions.
AMD FX-8150 OctoCore O.C. 18% to 4.2 GHz on ASUS M5A99X EVO with 16 GB Corsair Dominator W. C. RAM, 2 nVIDIA Geforce 560TI W.C. in SLI, six Western Digital drives for a total of 4.07 TBytes, AquaComputer Aquero 5 Pro, AquaComputer D5 pump, Multiswitch USB, tubemeter and Kyros CPU block. Two coolant loops,CPU & SLI, MB, RAM and AQ5, with two flow meters. Running Windows 7 Professional 64, and using Open Hardware Monitor v0.5.1Beta Aquasuite B16 hardware temps.

Sonntag, 6. Januar 2013, 04:12

Yaeh - i don't use the data logs or graphing functions... but AS2012-6 will pile up the private bytes anyway. Don't know what is causing it; it is sporadic. Eh - i don't leave a page displaying anyway, so no big problem, unless i do leave one up! :huh:

Sonntag, 6. Januar 2013, 08:29

Think I narrowed down the memory / CPU hog issue to be in the Data Log area of Aquasuite, I disabled it completely by just deleting everything and leaving the settings page blank, been running 3 days 22 Hours now and aquasuite.exe is using 150mb give or take 500k, it fluctuates, AquaComputerService using only 10mb give or take..

Hope this helps until they find the memory issue and fine tune it abit more..

Montag, 7. Januar 2013, 08:15

We work hard to find the memory problems and the cpu load issues.
Normaly the aquasuite RAM consumption is stable after a time of 60 minutes. (Internal data buffer for history)

Dienstag, 8. Januar 2013, 15:53

Sebastien, Thank you for attending to this.

Mittwoch, 16. Januar 2013, 18:00

Cotributing to the tread

And this is the result on the plot

Ac you can see, there is something completely wrong on the top middle graph.

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate, patched with all the latest patch releases/hotfixes.
Need more info?

It ran at least 24 hours, unfortunately I had to kill it before dumping info, cause the machine was hardly responding to anything (even mouse lagging).
The CPU usage is spiking when refreshing graphs, unfortunately.
I'd say it is some kind related to the large data history that must be drawn - I've noticed the corruption of the graphs for 60min graphs.
Also certain graphs just cannot get the proper color gradients at all - some settings are just ignored.
Maybe some kind object overwriting, improper casting etc?

The configuration is default, just getting data from OpenHardware, calculating 2 virtual sensors - one from max aquasuite temps, the second is max CPU core temp.
I didn't touch the Data Log window at all.

Attached those images and exported pages and config.
»_KaszpiR_« hat folgende Datei angehängt:

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 5 mal editiert, zuletzt von »_KaszpiR_« (16. Januar 2013, 18:48)

My setup - Project Replicant

Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2013, 23:00

OK, looks like the thing is repeating itself.
The all settings are unchaged, yet the memory is leaking. Created two memory dumps - mini, and full dump.

Looks like the full dump is aroun 900MB, but it compressess insanely with compress ration of 5%
I'm uploading files to http://kaszpir.hlds.pl/index.php?path=ha…uasuite.2012.6/

Freitag, 29. März 2013, 09:18

Updated today to Aquasuite 2013.2, keeping configuration.
Well, freankly speaking i had to reconfigure the device from scratch, because saving config worked only with the graphs (sort of).
Yet, when I left te graphs open, the issue repeated itself, but after 8 hours my CPU was just killed by aquasuite. And the same memory leak occured, it was eating already 1 GB of memory.

I'll try today to totally wipe the configurations and see how it works.

Freitag, 29. März 2013, 17:13

Try it to use without the desktop feature. Can you send us your desktop page to: info@aqua-computer.de
We can try to reproduce your bug.