• 20.04.2024, 06:44
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Pump Control HELP!

Sonntag, 27. Januar 2013, 01:32

Hi all!

A short summary of my plan:

I am planning to run 2x 360rads in my 600T case. The top one will have 3 AP 15 GTs and the other will have 6 AP 15 GTs. I am looking to have 2 pumps provide sufficient flow. I will use an Aquacomputer Aquaero LT with the waterblock to control the 2 banks (One with 4 fans and the other with 5 fans through fan splitters such as this connected to the Aquaero ) of fans. My questions are:

1) I have wanted to use the Aquacomputer pumps to maximize compatibilty but I will be using the Bitspower D5 Pump Mod Kit and don't think the pumps will fit properly. They will probably lack space for the wires to plug in. Can anyone confirm this?

2) I can find PWM pumps such as this and pumps with a tachometer such as this . Which should I use with my setup to be able to control the pump? What is the difference in terms of controlling my pump with either of these? My ideal setup would be to have a fan & pump curve is related to the water temp. Fully automated once setup so to speak.

3) Will I definitely need a Poweradjust or 2?

4) How can I integrate a method to control LEDs in my case? The set I am planning to use is this one. The Voltage is 12V and the Wattage is 7.2W from the page linked. I know I will need thse values when I am calculating if everything can be hooked up together on the Aquaero LT.

I know this or similar questions are bound to have been asked before but I have tried to my share of investigation and could not determine a clear answer to my dilemma. Hope the knowledgeable people here can advise me before I spend hundreds on the equipment.

I have been cracking my head about this for some time now and so I really hope some kind soul(s) can enlighten me! ;(

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Balanar« (27. Januar 2013, 16:24)

Sonntag, 27. Januar 2013, 10:56

1. No idea, but I wish someone could answer it, I'm also interested in the reply.

2. You have two ways of controlling the pumps - controlling the voltage or controling the PWM signal.
When controlling a voltage then you would have to connect the pump to the Aquaero, and if the pump has molex, then you will have to probably convert it to 3pin fan connector.
The down side is that when controlling pumps by voltage, then there is a lot of generated heat on the controller itself, and usually you can connect up to 1 pump to the designated fan header to avoid over-current and overheating.

When controlling over voltage then you usually just have to connect the PWM signal to the spare fan or the PWM outputs, in the second option I believe you would have to change to 2pin plug.
This is better solution, because you can steer both pumps from the same PWM signal (of course they will change speed both in the same way, you cannot control them independently from the single output)

You may be also interested in this - http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info…roducts_id=2901
I'm currently in the process of getting one of those - it allows to control and read data from each pump independenlty.

3. No, if you will use splitters for fans. You can run fans on all channels, and pumps on PWM signals. But then you will get confusing rpm signals if you join RPM reading signals (so the best is to read RPM from only one fan)
If you want to control and read RPM signal for each and every device like fan or pump, then yes - you will need Poweradjust, probably 2 - but then I think that's an overkill ;)

In your setup I would use something like this:
aquaero fan1 -> splitter 3x fans on top
aquaero fan2 -> extender 30cm -> splitter 6x fans on second rad
aquaero fan3 -> splitter + estenders to other fans in the case, if any (front, back, bottom etc)
aquaero PWM 1 -> pump 1
aquaero PWM 2 -> pump 2

Optionally you could control vial PWM both pumps, so you would need a Y splitter.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »_KaszpiR_« (27. Januar 2013, 11:11)

My setup - Project Replicant

RE: Pump Control HELP!

Sonntag, 27. Januar 2013, 11:44

1) I have wanted to use the Aquacomputer pumps to maximize compatibilty but I will be using the Bitspower D5 Pump Mod Kit and don't think the pumps will fit properly. They will probably lack space for the wires to plug in. Can anyone confirm this?
;(

The Bitspower Pump Kit contains two peices: the cylindrical barrel which houses the pump and mounts it to the pump top and a flat disc that simply fits into the end of the barrel to seal it up and hide the end of the pump. With the disc inserted an AC pump would not be compatible with the Bitspower kit, however the disc is only cosmetic. I am using the same kits on my Aquacomputer D5 pumps and I just didn't insert the disc and there is no obstruction between between the pump kit and the connectors on the AC pump.

If you use a black Bitspower kit it might match with the black sticker on the end of the AC pump, although I have simply turned the connector side of the pumps away from sight to facilitate hidden wiring and used the colour of my choice. The AC D5 pumps are a good choice because you can plug them directly into the power supply (ie eliminate the need for a poweradjust or using an output on the aquaero to power the pump) and you can adjust them to a much lower speed than other D5 variants. They also seem to run a lot quieter than other D5s I've experienced and are nicely integrated with the Aquaero and Aquasuite, having more monitoring options and possibilities for alarm configuration :thumbup:

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »cc01« (27. Januar 2013, 11:52)

Sonntag, 27. Januar 2013, 16:39

1. No idea, but I wish someone could answer it, I'm also interested in the reply.

2. You have two ways of controlling the pumps - controlling the voltage or controling the PWM signal.
When controlling a voltage then you would have to connect the pump to the Aquaero, and if the pump has molex, then you will have to probably convert it to 3pin fan connector.
The down side is that when controlling pumps by voltage, then there is a lot of generated heat on the controller itself, and usually you can connect up to 1 pump to the designated fan header to avoid over-current and overheating.

When controlling over voltage then you usually just have to connect the PWM signal to the spare fan or the PWM outputs, in the second option I believe you would have to change to 2pin plug.
This is better solution, because you can steer both pumps from the same PWM signal (of course they will change speed both in the same way, you cannot control them independently from the single output)

You may be also interested in this - http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info…roducts_id=2901
I'm currently in the process of getting one of those - it allows to control and read data from each pump independenlty.

3. No, if you will use splitters for fans. You can run fans on all channels, and pumps on PWM signals. But then you will get confusing rpm signals if you join RPM reading signals (so the best is to read RPM from only one fan)
If you want to control and read RPM signal for each and every device like fan or pump, then yes - you will need Poweradjust, probably 2 - but then I think that's an overkill ;)

In your setup I would use something like this:
aquaero fan1 -> splitter 3x fans on top
aquaero fan2 -> extender 30cm -> splitter 6x fans on second rad
aquaero fan3 -> splitter + estenders to other fans in the case, if any (front, back, bottom etc)
aquaero PWM 1 -> pump 1
aquaero PWM 2 -> pump 2

Optionally you could control vial PWM both pumps, so you would need a Y splitter.
I sincerely thank you for your reply KaszpiR!

1) I guess we found the answer thanks to cc01. I will likely utilize his method with the Mod Kits.

2) I get what you mean about alot of heat being generated when controlling the voltage and I will probably avoid this method because quite honestly, I don't have full faith in my ability to accurately take into account and calculate all factors that might contribute to the heat and how safe it will be. Blowing up my Aquaero LT is the last thing I want to do. I am very keen on getting 2 of those pumps you linked to as I believe those would work beautifully with the Aquaero without the need for any extra devices such as Poweradjusts etc.

3) Would fan splitters work any better than the distribution blocks I linked in my first post? If yes, would this be an ideal choice for the rad with 6 fans and this be perfect for the rad with 3 fans?

I'm guessing your method of controlling the pumps via PWM would apply if I got the Aquacomputer pumps you mentioned? Darn the fact that they're out of stock at PPC. :cursing:

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Balanar« (27. Januar 2013, 16:56)

RE: RE: Pump Control HELP!

Sonntag, 27. Januar 2013, 16:54

;(

The Bitspower Pump Kit contains two peices: the cylindrical barrel which houses the pump and mounts it to the pump top and a flat disc that simply fits into the end of the barrel to seal it up and hide the end of the pump. With the disc inserted an AC pump would not be compatible with the Bitspower kit, however the disc is only cosmetic. I am using the same kits on my Aquacomputer D5 pumps and I just didn't insert the disc and there is no obstruction between between the pump kit and the connectors on the AC pump.

If you use a black Bitspower kit it might match with the black sticker on the end of the AC pump, although I have simply turned the connector side of the pumps away from sight to facilitate hidden wiring and used the colour of my choice. The AC D5 pumps are a good choice because you can plug them directly into the power supply (ie eliminate the need for a poweradjust or using an output on the aquaero to power the pump) and you can adjust them to a much lower speed than other D5 variants. They also seem to run a lot quieter than other D5s I've experienced and are nicely integrated with the Aquaero and Aquasuite, having more monitoring options and possibilities for alarm configuration :thumbup:
cc01, thank you for your reply as well!

To put it simply, I am using the Black Sparkle verison of the Mod Kit but I am going to do what you did and leave the leave the flat disk out. That's gonna be the most elegant and yet efficient way for me.

Question though, will I be able to completely control 2 of these pumps, 9 fans on 2 channels and possibly LEDs all on the Aquaero LT without any problems? Will the LT overheat if I severely reduce the speed of the pumps and fans? I ask because I know that slowing them down aka adding resistance increases heat but I have no idea how to calculate the amount of Wattage (?) that will mess up my LT. Sorry for the noobishness.

Montag, 28. Januar 2013, 01:28

Hi Balanar,

Firstly some feedback about the splitters you intend to use. I once used those ModMyToys "Power Distribution PCBs" that you linked to in your first post and I was disappointed with them. Initially they work well but after a few times of pulling off and pushing on fan connectors the headers on these boards started to wriggle loose where they were soldered to the board. The idea is great but they are cheaply manufactured. I had to re-solder them but in the end I gave up and just made my own splitter cables which were easier to hide in my case. You may want to consider making your own cables or instead just purchasing the cables you linked to in your later post, although I am a bit wary of Modright products as I've tried a few of their items out of curiosity and found that they are poorly made. Have you considered making your own cables?

The AC D5 pumps are connected directly to the power supply, you don't need to connect them to the Aquaero. Control of the pumps is achieved through the Aquabus connection. You will need a four-pin cable for each pump and a splitter cable to connect them to the high-speed aquabus on the Aquaero.

The Aquaero has a built in overheat protection which sets all the outputs to 100% once the thermal threshold is reached (about 90C) so you won't damage it. The Aquaero will handle all the fans you have suggested, although you will need to use use at least the heatsink available in the AC shop to keep the FanAmp temps under control to avoid this situation occurring. You could even add a small fan to actively cool the heatsink but it would require making your own bracket to fit it or you could position the Aquaero directly in the airflow of a case fan. The waterblock is really the best option though and you will have no problems with the Aquaero overheating.

You can power the LED strip via one of the LED outputs on the Aquaero but you will need one of these connectors

Montag, 28. Januar 2013, 02:56

Hi cc01,

Thanks for the reply and heads up about the 'Power Distribution PCBs'. I would much rather make the splitter cables myself but have not access to a solder and little knowledge of what I have to do. I could follow instructions easily enough and I guess the equipment is the bigger issue right now. I have seriously considered purchasing a sodlering set but don't think it be justified considering the amount of use I give it.

So I will need 2x four-pin cable + 1 splitter cable on top of 2x Aquacomputer D5 Pumps + Aquaero LT + Aquaero Waterblock + Relay Connector + Good Fan Splitters to control:

2 banks of fans (One with 6 fans, one with 3 fans)
2 D5 pumps
1 set of LEDs

If this is the case, only a solution for the fan splitters remains to be found.

I am definitely getting the waterblock for the Aquaero so I guess I will hopefully be set on the heat control aspect of things. :thumbsup:

While searching for more info, I came across this thread . I am planning to use this LED set. It's rated at 12V, 7.2 Watts. As such, using the formula of Watts = Volts x Amps, the LED will draw 0.6 A and be under the 1A limit for the relay correct? Dimming it will cos manageable heat due to the resistance introduced?

Last but not least, I would need to integrate an ON/OFF switch into the LEDs as well if my pump control woes are mostly over.

Montag, 28. Januar 2013, 08:33

The relay connectoris a 3-pin type and is not the same as the PWM output connector which I linked to above for powering the LEDs. The PWM output requires the 2-pin connector and does not fit into the relay output on the Aquaero. Just make sure you don't exceed the 1 Amp limit on these PWM outputs with too many LEDs or you will fry your unit.

You may wish to consider running a CCFL such as this from each PWM output instead of the LEDs. They are usually very bright and will provide plenty of lighting without overloading your outputs. You won't be able to dim them though when used like this as these outputs are at 15KHz whereas CCFL frequencies are much higher. They will be either on or off. I believe that the multiswitch can control the brightness of CCFLs but I have no experience with it.

Samstag, 2. Februar 2013, 12:03

Montag, 4. Februar 2013, 12:08

Those are the cheap ones I mentioned where the solder breaks loose on the fan headers after a few pushes and pulls. For a few coins more ...

Balanar, you might be interested in these cable splitters I haven't used these cables but I've used a few other Bitfenix products and have been satisfied with their function and build quality. They aren't as cheap as the alternatives but you will only need three to suit your purposes.

Montag, 4. Februar 2013, 12:21

I agree completely about those fan splitters. I just threw one of those away, very cheaply made.

Dienstag, 5. Februar 2013, 10:47

I use these ones because they are available near me and just cut off the 4 pin molex section completely. They have given me no problems.