• 24.04.2024, 23:30
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Questions for experienced Aquaero users on temp sensor inputs

Freitag, 22. März 2013, 13:23

-This thread isn't about complaining about anything, just to determine realistic expectations of what to expect of the temperature sensors.-

I was wondering if any of you monitor the calibration of your temp sensors closely, and if so how much drift in readings do you see?
I'm looking more for real world experiences, not any esoteric theory on flat lead bi metal sensors or such although links to pertinent references are welcome.

For example, I keep a digital temp sensor sitting in my pc area that I rely on for semi-accurate data on ambient temperatures, and from which I calibrate my ambient sensors located in front of the intake fans on the computer.
Of course it's not necessary that the reference temperature be 100% accurate, just that all the sensors are calibrated to the same reference point. Ambient seems the best calibration reference as usually flat type sensors are rated for reference at 25c.

However, throughout the course of a day I will often see any of the sensors jump (+ or -) 1 to 1.5c for no apparent reason.
I can calibrate, for example, the ambient air sensors, and they might follow my digital external sensor closely for a while, jump quite a bit for a while, then settle back down. Other times the calibration will seem to be off completely and I will change it only to find in a day or two or within an hour it's off again.

Ideally I would love the accuracy of the readings to stay within 0.5c, although I realize that probably isn't realistic. The OCD aspect of my personality wants perfection but I have to live in the real world. :)

Tell me then if you will, what do you see with your temperature sensors, calibration, etc. ?

Input by Aquacomputer folks most welcome as well.

Freitag, 22. März 2013, 22:44

I use a calibrated, old photographic mercury thermometer with increments of 0.1C on the scale to check my sensor temps. I know it's not a digital device but the scale is large enough with small enough increments to read with great accuracy. The only problem is with positioning to get a reading so I am aware that the data I obtain from it may not be precise. It is however, extremely sensitive and will react even just breathing on it or placing a warm or cold object near it. I calibrate ambient air temp sensor, internal case temps and coolant sensor in reservoir while computer is at idle according to this thermometer. I find that as temperatures rise with increased load I get errors on my sensors up to 1.6C below what is reported on my thermometer. It is always below, never above. I don't usually worry about it because it is all well within the thermal limits of the hardware and 1C or 2C doesn't amount to anything in terms of my 'performance needs', however ... I have not monitored any possible variations over time with my sensors or seen inexplicable jumps as mandrix has seen, but then I'm not really looking. As I haven't played around with the data logs much I might try it on the sensor temps and see what turns up.

I don't know much about these particular types of sensor but I imagine they probably wouldn't be linear in their scale? What is their effective temperature range and how do they behave at the extreme ends of their range? Are the sensors consistent or do the scales vary between sensors? It would be an interesting project for someone in the watercooling community to set up a controlled experiment into the accuracy of these sensors across a temperature range. My penny's worth, hope it assists just a little?

Samstag, 23. März 2013, 11:04

So you also see around 1.5c difference. Interesting.
Wonder why your readings are consistently lower and mine are all over the place. Old sensors/new sensors makes no difference and I see it on both my Aquaero's.

The way I calibrate is to get one of the ambient sensors settled down and reading close to my room ambient, then tape it to the inline sensors one by one and calibrate based off the one sensor.
Seems to work good until I start getting the swings in readings.

Thanks for your input.

Samstag, 23. März 2013, 21:40

I find positioning of ambient sensors is critical. Even if placed right in front of intake fans the slightest backwash or unpredictable air flow can cause readings to jump around. I use multiple intake sensors in different locations and combine them using a Lowest temp Virtual sensor that gives me a quite steady ambient.
I chart my ambient, water and delta temps and any spiking tells me that something isn't positioned correctly or is being affected somehow. I mostly see nice smooth lines and curves.
My water sensors don't jump around at all and they are exactly the same things under the plastic cover.

I have noticed that one of my sensors in particular was jumping around by up to .4C for no reason but I swapped it out and the problem hasn't recurred that I have noticed.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Jakusonfire« (23. März 2013, 21:46)

Samstag, 23. März 2013, 23:06

Unfortunately I do see my water temp sensors move around.

I think your ideas about the ambients is good. I've thought of that, but not got around to implementing as yet.

Montag, 25. März 2013, 15:16

Just an example of my chart at idle

Dienstag, 26. März 2013, 00:05

I've been able to get my ambient sensors steady, I taped them to an area on the front of the case and they are tracking along together really well.

How do you get multiple sensors on one chart, is that through the data logging functions? I need to check that out I guess.

Dienstag, 26. März 2013, 15:50

Yeah just in the Data log tab add a few data sources, set up and save a chart or two in the chart manager then add add a Log Data Analysis object in an overview page and link it to the chart you created.

Dienstag, 26. März 2013, 16:37

Thanks, I played with it last night for the first time and figured it out.
Would be nice if we could add multiple data sources to the regular charts, but this is the next best thing.