• 28.04.2024, 00:05
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

rps1975

Aquero 5 and Silverstone AP182 fans

Montag, 29. April 2013, 13:44

I have the aquaero 5 with optional waterblock, running 3 AP182 fans from channels 1-3 respectively and a san ace 120 on channel 4. Fan amp temp sensors are fine (45 degrees) The problem is that I am unable to run the AP182 fans at anything lower than 1300 rpm without the fans constantly ramping up and down or just simply stopping. The current is wildly fluctuating all the time. Has anyone else tried controlling any of these fans with the aquaero?

Montag, 29. April 2013, 14:40

Edit: Nevermind, missed the part about the water block.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Jakusonfire« (29. April 2013, 14:42)

Montag, 29. April 2013, 16:10

Try to use target voltage not target rpm.
»EnigmaG« hat folgendes Bild angehängt:
  • Unbenannt.png

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »EnigmaG« (29. April 2013, 16:13)

rps1975

Montag, 29. April 2013, 17:06

Thanks for the speedy reply guys, but that is how it was at default, power controlled. Tried it with RPM controlled as well with no benefit, including setting a minimum voltage with "hold minimum power ticked"
Just read the review of the AP182 here
The reviewer had some problems with his AP182s and a fan controller, causing squealing. He was using PWM however, I am not

Heres' the interesting bit from the review

"The FC5V2 uses pulse-width modulation (PWM), and at 70% or lower duty cycle the AP182 made a terrible squealing noise and ceased to report an accurate rpm. I tried remedying this by connecting the shorting loop, but that also had the same effect. Believing that the fan might be faulty I used the included rheostat controller which worked just fine. I asked Tony at SilverStone about this issue and he said that the AP182’s fan control IC dynamically adjusts its frequency to maintain a certain power draw. He speculated that the IC was increasing its operating frequency very high to compensate for the reduced PWM duty cycle coming from the FC5V2, which created the tachometer malfunction and terrible noise. Ultimately, I had to use the included rheostat controller for macro adjustments of the fan speed and could use my FC5V2 for fine adjustment only. If you have a fan controller that doesn’t use PWM, you won’t run into this issue"

I don't get the squealing! and have tried with and without the shorting loop. Any chance the issue is related to this?

Freitag, 10. Mai 2013, 04:14

Thanks for the speedy reply guys, but that is how it was at default, power controlled. Tried it with RPM controlled as well with no benefit, including setting a minimum voltage with "hold minimum power ticked"
Just read the review of the AP182 here
The reviewer had some problems with his AP182s and a fan controller, causing squealing. He was using PWM however, I am not

Heres' the interesting bit from the review

"The FC5V2 uses pulse-width modulation (PWM), and at 70% or lower duty cycle the AP182 made a terrible squealing noise and ceased to report an accurate rpm. I tried remedying this by connecting the shorting loop, but that also had the same effect. Believing that the fan might be faulty I used the included rheostat controller which worked just fine. I asked Tony at SilverStone about this issue and he said that the AP182’s fan control IC dynamically adjusts its frequency to maintain a certain power draw. He speculated that the IC was increasing its operating frequency very high to compensate for the reduced PWM duty cycle coming from the FC5V2, which created the tachometer malfunction and terrible noise. Ultimately, I had to use the included rheostat controller for macro adjustments of the fan speed and could use my FC5V2 for fine adjustment only. If you have a fan controller that doesn’t use PWM, you won’t run into this issue"

I don't get the squealing! and have tried with and without the shorting loop. Any chance the issue is related to this?
If you have a fan controller that doesn’t use PWM, you won’t run into this issue, so no, not related.

in the FAN sheet, what happens if you make min voltage to 5v ( rated minimum) and select hold minimum power?
what happens if you make maximum voltage 6v????
if you can change there, then you would need to look at the Control sheet to see how is is being controlled.

rps1975

Mittwoch, 15. Mai 2013, 12:27

Right, I have tried the settings you advised, but unfortunately they do not resolve the issue. With further testing I can see that anything less the 6.5v and the fan stops, which gives me about 1250 rpm at a minimum. The current shown for each fan at this setting is wildly fluctuating between 0.11a all the way to 0.94a. Tried it with both RPM and Power controlled. Looks like I will have to message Silverstone and ask them about it or just use the rheostat provided :(

Pilo

Mittwoch, 15. Mai 2013, 16:55

What setup do you use to regulate the fan speed?
What type of Controller ('Set point controller', 'Two point controller', 'Constant value' or 'Curve controller') do you use?
Which 'Datasource(s)' do you use?
Have you set a 'Minimum fan power', 'Hold minimum Power' and a 'Startboost'?
Can you post a screenshot with your settings from 'Controller' and 'Fans'?

Btw. the 'Silverstone AP182' has a RPM range from 500 to 2000 RPM (analog controlled) it must be possible to run it with the Aquaero 5.
->Darin Epsilon - PERSPECTIVES<-
Mr. SuicideSheep @ soundcloud.com
Test Shot Starfish @ soundcloud.com
Professor Kliq @ soundcloud.com

tpb211

Donnerstag, 16. Mai 2013, 17:24

NM

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »tpb211« (16. Mai 2013, 17:28)

rps1975

Freitag, 17. Mai 2013, 01:58

]I am currently (for demonstration purposes) using a curve controller with the first two ap182 fans, rpm controlled. I have set a limit on the hold minimum power to 6.6v to keep them running. I have tried using a 'constant value' of 100% and using the fan power sliders and can confirm that the fans simply stop when the voltage is less than 6.6v. As you can see in the picture, I have 3 ap182 fans. The first two are running from the curve controller with a 'Hold minimum power' of 6.6v and so are running at the lowest speed I can get them to (around 1270rpm) whilst the 3rd ap182 fan is running on a 'constant value' set to 100% Now when I reduce the voltage down from 12v on the 3rd fan, when I get to 6.5v the fan simply stops. Here's the screenies.

Freitag, 17. Mai 2013, 02:07

Swap 2+3 if the problem still at 3 it is the AE, in not it´s the fan.

Pilo

Freitag, 17. Mai 2013, 06:59

You wrote, that you use the watercooler module for the aquaero 5.
How is that modul installed?
With thermal pads or thermal paste?
Is the cooler integrated in the water circulation?
What temperatures do the four 'Sensors/Temperature sensors/Fan amplifiers' show before the fans are stopping at 6.5 Volts?
If I'm not wrong, there is an 'analog fan controller' included with each 'Silverstone AP182'...
Do you get the RMPs much lower with the 'analog fan controller' as with the Aquaero 5?
Do you have a digital voltmeter to messure the Volts from the 'analog fan controller' with minimum RMPs to compare it to the 6.5 Volts of the Aquaero 5?
Because it could be, that Fans also stop at 6.5 Volts even with the 'analog fan controller'...Just to make sure...

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Pilo« (17. Mai 2013, 07:01)

rps1975

Sonntag, 19. Mai 2013, 00:48

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
EnigmaG, I have tried the settings with each of the 3 ap182 fans in turn, and they all do the same thing on any of the four channels :S

Pilo, I have the waterblock for my aquaero attached with the supplied thermal pad, integrated into my loop. I created a graph to monitor the temperature of fan amp 3. At 6.6v fan amp 3 is settling at about 37.5 degrees. Fan amp 1+2 runs at about 45 degrees with two ap182s running at 6.6v which I think leaves me plenty of headroom, does it not?

This is what happens to the fan amp temperature when I lower the voltage to 6.5

And this is the graph of power fluctuation I am getting when trying to run the fans using a controller curve, with a minimum fan power of 5v rpm controlled (from 23:32 onwards)

I don't have a voltmeter, but I will try a fan with the supplied controller tomorrow and see if I can achieve a lower RPM.

Again, thanks for your time!

Pilo

Sonntag, 19. Mai 2013, 07:54

In the second screenshot under "Advanced settings" first line, the setting is "RPM controlled".
Have you tested it with the setting "Power controlled" yet? I would recommend it for all your fans.
Perhaps that's the reason your fans are showing such strange behavior. Just a guess, though.
BTW...Have you installed the "shorting loops" as the replacements of the "analog fan controllers" to all AP182?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Pilo« (19. Mai 2013, 08:07)

rps1975

Montag, 20. Mai 2013, 22:15

Pilo, when the setting is on power controlled, the fan just stops at anything less than 6.6v which means I can never get the fan slower than around 1270rpm The fan specs should allow for 500rpm@ 5v
I have tried it with and without the shorting loops with the same result.
Today I attached the supplied fan controller to the third fan, and connected the rpm wire to the aquaero 5 and it does indeed allow the fan to go at 500rpm, here's proof! I don't know what voltage this is unfortunately :(

Is this something Shoggy needs to look at and test?

Pilo

Dienstag, 21. Mai 2013, 04:07

You have another fan 'SAN120' connected to the 4th fan connector.
Can you control this fan correctly from 0 to 12 Volts?
Is that fan also working correctly on the other connections?

If it does, I fear that the "Silverstone AP182" is unfortunately a worse case in incompatibility.

P.S. I'm guessing, that the internal electronic from the AP182 needs at least ~6.6 Volts and is only working if the power is in a range from 6.6 V to 12 V. If the Power is lower, the fan electronic simply shuts off. The 'analog fan controller' is an exception, because the controller is connected to the fan electronic.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Pilo« (21. Mai 2013, 04:20)

rps1975

Dienstag, 21. Mai 2013, 15:26

Yes, the San ace is working fine. It is looking like I must use the supplied controller for quiet operation, dang it :(
Thanks for your time and help!

Pilo

Mittwoch, 22. Mai 2013, 02:24

If you have an 12V-7V-5V adapter you could test the AP182 with it...with 7V he would still run, but no with 5V...

Dienstag, 19. November 2013, 17:21

Right, I have tried the settings you advised, but unfortunately they do not resolve the issue. With further testing I can see that anything less the 6.5v and the fan stops, which gives me about 1250 rpm at a minimum. The current shown for each fan at this setting is wildly fluctuating between 0.11a all the way to 0.94a. Tried it with both RPM and Power controlled. Looks like I will have to message Silverstone and ask them about it or just use the rheostat provided :(
I bump this thread bc I have exactly the same problem. In my case, I can get a bit lower, but at around 6.2V my fans also just stop. Has anybody found a solution for this meanwhile, or are these fans just incompatible?

Mittwoch, 20. November 2013, 11:41

I have not read through this thread, but I just want to let you know that this fan is just incompatible with the aquaero or any other fan controller. This fan can not be controlled by its voltage. It requires 12V and the speed is controlled through another signal which normally comes from the included slot panel with the potentiometer.

When you lower the voltage the fan will still run at a high value for a long time and at some point it just stops.

There is noting to get this fixed since the fan itself is the problem.

Mittwoch, 20. November 2013, 15:58

There is noting to get this fixed since the fan itself is the problem.
You are right - this was just confirmed with Silverstone. So, do not buy this fan if you actually want to control it by ANY 3rd party controller.

So I had to revert to the original AP181 - and at least they seem to work as expected with the aquaero.