• 28.05.2024, 05:19
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

iBeta2

Aquastream Ultra - Potentially problematic magnetic fields?

Montag, 12. Mai 2014, 00:34

Yes, well I don't want to be alarmist but am getting well in excess of 2uT (20mG) at reasonably close distances to the pump. Am using Gigahertz Solutions ME3840B meter.

The lower the pump's rotational velocity the higher the magnetic field. Eg at 55cm get 700nT @3000rpm and 450nT @3540rpm. This is likely due to more back emf at higher rotations.

The recommended maximum level for human well being is 200nT; 20nT preferred. I think that this figure comes from the Bioinitive Report. -> Edit: Sorry no, it comes from the Gigahertz Solutions ME3840B meter manual.

I've had some success shielding using a magnetic shield foil - should get -40dB (10,000 times reduction) attenuation, but in practice far less. Probably due to the holes necessary for tubing, wires etc. Searching the forums found something about a Full Metal Jacket that is supposed to protect against mag. fields but cannot find it in the Aquacomputer shop.

Anyway, I guess I'm advising not to sit within around 90cm of an unshielded pump, especially if running at lower speed..

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »iBeta2« (12. Mai 2014, 00:50)

Montag, 12. Mai 2014, 19:09

i have one in my pedestal form fitted to the bottom of my Silverstone raven 3 case, am i going die?

iBeta2

Montag, 12. Mai 2014, 22:21

i have one in my pedestal form fitted to the bottom of my Silverstone raven 3 case, am i going die?

Er no Max, you're gonna live forever.

On the off chance that you are not being sarcastic; high magnetic fields can be dangerous. The magnetic field strength is directly proportional to diistance, so doubling the space between you and the field source will reduce it by half.

But, especially if you live in a city, I would be far more worried about microwave radiation. The exposure levels considered safe, especially in the US, are ridiculous - thousands of times higher than recommended by the BioInitiative Report 2012.

Mittwoch, 14. Mai 2014, 14:43

You'll make strange babies! ;(