• 17.04.2024, 01:06
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Seeking knowledge about MPS, Aquabus & USB

Sonntag, 21. Dezember 2014, 18:10

I am starting to assemble/test the following items prior to insertion in an external radiator (gigant 1680):
- Aquaero 6 pro (1)
- D5 Pump Motor with USB & Auqabus Interface (2)
- MPS Sensor Flow 400 (1)
- MPS Sensor Presure/Level Delta 40 (1)

If I understand correctly, configuration of MPS devices can be done only via USB, not via Aquabus... Aquabus is for monitoring and power to some sensors only?
As the items are intended to be placed internally in the radiator and external to the PC, I would need to have all MPS devices connected via USB for re-configuration after the loop goes active, and any adjustments over time.

Not wanting to run 5 USB cables from the radiator to the back panel of the PC, can I use a USB 2.0 Hub to connect the MPS devices & Aquaero, and then a single USB cable going from USB Hub in the radiator to PC?
The major concern being power draw... with only the Pressure & Level Sensors drawing power, would a USB hub need an external power supply?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »InfoSeeker« (21. Dezember 2014, 18:18)

Montag, 22. Dezember 2014, 08:39

I'm assuming this is all temporary for testing only.
You may want to consider the NZXT IU01 Internal USB hub but place it on the outside (temporarily) whilst testing. You would need to get power to it (Molex) and an extended motherboard USB cable (your cable length requirement unknown) which you can get (ModDIY).

http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/99-iu…-accessory.html

The power source can come from any PSU - Your PC's or another external PSU for testing. Of course you can reuse the NZXT hub in the PC itself.

Am I reading you right here ?(

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »avictord« (22. Dezember 2014, 08:41)

Montag, 22. Dezember 2014, 17:43

Well, actually, I plan to have both aquabus & USB connections hooked up in case I want to modify performance characteristics of the pumps or sensors over time.

I had thought about using this Anker hub, but the NZXT IU01 you suggested is perfect.

The airplex GIGANT 1680 with aquaero 6 PRO provides a Molex 4 pin power connector and a 5 pin USB board header connector for the aquaero 6 PRO, which is all that is needed to run the IU01, The Molex connector for the IU01 is a pass through type, so no issues to connect power, and the 5 pin USB board header connector will plug straight into the IU01. Then I will use 2 FRONTX CPX505 cables for the two external ports, and 3 FRONTX CPX502 cables for the 3 internal header port, which will cover the aquaero, 2 pumps, flow & level sensor USB connections.

Thank you very much for highlighting the IU01... I had been looking at having to mod a least one USB connection, this way not. :)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »InfoSeeker« (22. Dezember 2014, 17:45)

Dienstag, 23. Dezember 2014, 05:57

Excellent! Sounds like you've got your design. :thumbup:

Any chance of posting a pic or two? Something like the Gigant must be amazing to work with and look at.

Cheers. :)

Dienstag, 23. Dezember 2014, 12:41

Yes, I am gathering a few pictures as I go along, and will post a little build log when done. Since this is my first customized water cool build I am taking it slow and hope to be done by the end of January... we will see.

Mittwoch, 31. Dezember 2014, 04:48

I am looking for a comment from someone who is very familiar with USB specifications and operation.

The NZXT USB Hub has a 9 pin double header USB input with each of the two input headers feeding four of the eight ports. Unfortunately the input supply cable has a 5 pin single header connector. which appears to limit the device to four output ports, and I have need of five ports.

My solution was to plug the incoming 5 pin header to one of the double header inputs, and then run a cable from one of the four live outputs back to the second double header input to make the other four ports come live. It appears to function sans issues at the moment.

My question is, are there unforeseen problems lurking out there? I realize band width will be effected, but the Aquaero 6 Pro & 4 MPS devices should not have a problem? Power is also a consideration, but this USB Hub takes external power and upgrades the power out for each port from 500 mA to 1000 mA, so again I hope that is not a problem.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »InfoSeeker« (31. Dezember 2014, 04:49)

Donnerstag, 1. Januar 2015, 03:08

I also use the NZXT IU01 Internal USB hub for my Aquacomputer system (Aquero 6 XT, 2 AC D5 pumps with USB, AC "high flow" G1/4" flow sensor, AC Temperature sensor, and Farbwerk USB RGB LED controller). Best $20 you could spend. :)

Donnerstag, 1. Januar 2015, 23:51

Interesting InfoSeeker with your set up. The net result is you have simply daisy chained all ports via one 5 pin USB from the Motherboard. Giving you 7 output ports (from a total of eight) whilst using 1 output port to chain back to the second 5 pin input header. Have I got that right :?:

If so I cant see any issue with cascading the USB's as you have done. I would have thought the power increases you mention would also meet the tolerances of the devices you have. Aqua-Computer should be able to confirm this.

Personally I would have run 2 x 5 pin inputs from the Motherboard. Although it depends on what USB 2 header capacity you have on the Motherboard.

I'll leave it to your discretion if you want to do a diagram/photo showing the info (inc. amps) and the AC or other devices.

Happy New Year 8)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »avictord« (1. Januar 2015, 23:52)

Freitag, 2. Januar 2015, 00:59

Yes, a sweet device that fits a need.

Correct, I ended up with 7 out of 8 available USB ports... and since I needed 5, life is good :)
Thank you for highlighting the IU01 for me avictord.

I ran the setup on the test bench for a few hours without any issues, so I think I am good to go.

The reason I do not run a 2nd USB lead, is that the Aquaero and 4 MPS devices are placed inside the Gigant 1680, which is located a distance from the system itself.
Also, the Gigant has the power & a USB 'B' connector integrated in one of the panels, and I wanted to stay as clean as possible on the outside.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »InfoSeeker« (2. Januar 2015, 01:02)

pcRelic

Freitag, 2. Januar 2015, 16:26

After you initialy configure MPS addresses at aquasuite, you no longer need USB cables, then you only need 1 USB from aquaero to motherboard, and the MPS devices connected through aquabus to the aquaero via 4pin aquabus cables.

You should not need to reconfigure MPS addresses.

Freitag, 2. Januar 2015, 17:51

After you initialy configure MPS addresses at aquasuite, you no longer need USB cables, then you only need 1 USB from aquaero to motherboard, and the MPS devices connected through aquabus to the aquaero via 4pin aquabus cables.

You should not need to reconfigure MPS addresses.
True that, I will not need to change MPS addresses going forward.
But I may want to adjust flow sensor curves, or level sensor calibration, or maybe update firmware as time goes by.
It is much easier to implement permanent USB connections at build, than to retrofit later.
It's a personal preference... and since there is no downside, other than a few coins, I think it will be OK.

Samstag, 3. Januar 2015, 14:14

I'm going to do the same have both USB and Aquabus for the very reasons you mentioned InfoSeek. Also if I recall when devices are attached via USB they appear as separate tab areas on Aquasuite whilst the Aquabus adds a devices attributes to the Aquaero Tab to provide central control through the Aquaero.

Kinda keeping your cake and eating too. :)

Samstag, 3. Januar 2015, 14:41

Yes, a sweet device that fits a need.

Correct, I ended up with 7 out of 8 available USB ports... and since I needed 5, life is good :)
Thank you for highlighting the IU01 for me avictord.

I ran the setup on the test bench for a few hours without any issues, so I think I am good to go.

The reason I do not run a 2nd USB lead, is that the Aquaero and 4 MPS devices are placed inside the Gigant 1680, which is located a distance from the system itself.
Also, the Gigant has the power & a USB 'B' connector integrated in one of the panels, and I wanted to stay as clean as possible on the outside.

[attach]4967[/attach]
I see now why you are doing what you are doing InfoSeeker. Makes sense. Excellent that it's all working and Great set Up. It must be impressive.

Does the Gigant make coffee by any chance or better still Beer?? ;)

Sonntag, 4. Januar 2015, 01:02

I also use the NZXT IU01 Internal USB hub for my Aquacomputer system (Aquero 6 XT, 2 AC D5 pumps with USB, AC "high flow" G1/4" flow sensor, AC Temperature sensor, and Farbwerk USB RGB LED controller). Best $20 you could spend. :)

I am finding the 4 pin Molex pass-thru power connector really sux,,, having a hard time getting the plug to seat. I have ordered a new pass-thru connector to replace it.

Did you have any issues?

Samstag, 17. Januar 2015, 20:32

I will also be using flow sensor in my config. I am planning on hooking them up only on AquaBus, to the Aquaero.
The only USB connection will be of the AquaAero. Will that allow me to make all the configuration of the flow meters ?

Sonntag, 18. Januar 2015, 14:33

I think configuration needs depends on the flow sensor you use.

But if sensor configuration is available/needed (i.e. bus address or response curve). a USB connection is required to configure it. Once configured the USB connection can be removed.
The configuration can be done prior to installing in the loop, with the included USB cable or from an external USB port with this type cable

Configuration of aquasuite parameters (alarms, gauges, etc.) using the flow sensor as a source, does NOT require USB.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »InfoSeeker« (18. Januar 2015, 14:37)

Sonntag, 18. Januar 2015, 15:55

I keep seeing that one is required to hook stuff on USB to "configure it", then once that is done, one can leave it on "aquabus" connection.

I dont believe there is a clear explanation anyowhere as to what can be done and cannot be done using devices on USB vs AQUABUS.

This "configuration" you speak of, that requires USB, what exactly is one configuring ?
If this is so, should i aim to connect everything on USB ? I want to connect it at first and leave it be as it is.

Why would anyone choose then AQUABUS over USB connection if AQUABUS fails in doing stuff that can be done on USB ?

Because i can buy an NZXT internal USB HUB and connect everything through it, as opposed to aquabus.

I though aquabus was better in that one would be abe to connect stuff through it directly to the AquaAero, which then uses only one USB connection with the PC.
I think Aquacomputer should make a sticky post somewhere where it is clearly explained what Aquabus really is able to do, how it functions, etc. I dont believe there is such a post anywhere !

Sonntag, 18. Januar 2015, 23:48

I keep seeing that one is required to hook stuff on USB to "configure it", then once that is done, one can leave it on "aquabus" connection.

I dont believe there is a clear explanation anyowhere as to what can be done and cannot be done using devices on USB vs AQUABUS.

This "configuration" you speak of, that requires USB, what exactly is one configuring ?
If this is so, should i aim to connect everything on USB ? I want to connect it at first and leave it be as it is.

Why would anyone choose then AQUABUS over USB connection if AQUABUS fails in doing stuff that can be done on USB ?

Because i can buy an NZXT internal USB HUB and connect everything through it, as opposed to aquabus.

I though aquabus was better in that one would be abe to connect stuff through it directly to the AquaAero, which then uses only one USB connection with the PC.
I think Aquacomputer should make a sticky post somewhere where it is clearly explained what Aquabus really is able to do, how it functions, etc. I dont believe there is such a post anywhere !
Hi Bytales,

In short ideally use both USB and Aquabus.

Having experimented with an Aquaero 5 LT and a PA 3 I found that the best thing to do is:

Initially use the USB to configure the device and to make sure the device address does not conflict (e.g. multiple PAs), firmware etc the USB provides a separate tab under Aquasuite specific to the device.
Connect the Aquabus and daisy chain all the aquacomputer devices starting from the Aquaero 5 or 6. The Aquaero can then see the sensor data from the Aquacomputer device(s) and you can then set up the different controls based on the data.

So as I see it;
USB provides the means properly set up the device and initialize it. And maintains a separate Tab within the Aquasuite.
The Aquabus is used to present the data from other Aquacomputer (slave) device(s) back to the Aquaero 5 or 6 for control (fans, pumps, thresholds etc)

Cheers.

Montag, 19. Januar 2015, 12:59

The question then is, if i USE usb connection, do i still need to connect them through Aquabus to the Aquaero, or can the Aquaero get all the data it needs through its USB connection ?
I could connect them both USB and Aquabus, but i need to know if that is a must. Since i image that Aquaero could take all the data it needs from the USB connection.

Probably through Aquabus the devices communicate directly, and the AquAero gets better the info it needs.

Montag, 19. Januar 2015, 13:26

To expand on Bytales excellent explanation...

USB is used to configure the device (screen shots below), and aquabus is used by the aquaero to read the device to use the sensor's output values for conditional control.
As an analogy, it is like using your video card driver to configure your video card and then using the output of the video card for your monitor.

Normaly, once configured, you do not need to reconfigure, and for cable management reasons the USB cables may be removed.
The USB configuration may be done prior to mounting/installation, with the device still external to the machine.

It is not a choice of which is better, but a choice of keeping USB cabling or not. The 3 screen shots above are not available if a USB connection is not in place.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »InfoSeeker« (19. Januar 2015, 13:28)