• 26.04.2024, 03:11
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

small build log of my external rad

Dienstag, 17. Februar 2015, 18:30

I am mostly finished assembling my airplex GIGANT 1680, and thought I would post a small build log for the device.

The primary component of this build is the aquacomputer airplex GIGANT 1680 with aquaero 6 PRO, copper fins.

In order to combat fingerprints on the stainless steel panels, and for pure bad-ass sexiness, I had the stainless steel side panels and feet "Black Oxidized" by Cleveland Black Oxide.
If you have anything you want Black Oxidized, contact Cleveland Black Oxide... they were very responsive, most helpful and a pleasure to work with. I highly recommend them.
If you look closely, I mounted an RGB LED in the panel to the left side, and slightly below the aquaero 6 PRO to indicate status and for alerts.

I decided to have all the working components associated with the water cooling loop, except the water-blocks themselves, reside externally to the main computer case, in the airplex GIGANT 1680.
These components consist of:
· 2 pump motors: aquacomputer D5 pump motors with USB and aquabus interface
· 1 dual pump top: EK-D5 Dual TOP G1/4 CSQ - Acetal
· 1 reservoir consisting of EK-XTOP Dual D5 XRES Upgrade Link, EK-RES X3 - TUBE 250 and EK-RES X3 - TOP
· 1 flow sensor: Flow sensor mps flow 400
· 1 level sensor: Pressure sensor mps pressure Delta 40

View of the components mounted to a set of airplex GIGANT 1680 Fan Rails ready for installation.

View of the assembly mounted inside the airplex GIGANT 1680.

Lastly, due to the tight configuration inside the radiator, and the humongous number of fins, I thought it important to provide filtration to extend the time between cleaning.
For the bottom I used 30 Pores Per Inch Open Cell Foam cut to the height of the feet of the airplex GIGANT 1680 and encircling the 180mm fan.
For the top 180mm fan I used a DEMCiflex 230mm Square Dust Filter that covers the top grill perfectly.

Placing the radiator, pumps, reservoir & associated accoutrements external to the main case leaves the interior of the case very open, and also removes the heat of those components.

Dienstag, 17. Februar 2015, 22:24

Hi InfoSeeker,

Thank you for sharing! It is not often that GIGANT builds can bee seen, and information on them is very scarce.

Am I correct in assuming you have the top and bottom fan blowing in to the GIGANT assembly, so that the positive air pressure will push the air over the fins? Or did you orient them some other way?

I would be very interested to find the limits of the cooling capacity of this beast. With so much radiator area, I wouldn't be surprised that it could cool an average system completely passively.

Kind regards,
Boris.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »bcikota« (20. Februar 2015, 16:34)

Mittwoch, 18. Februar 2015, 17:06

Zitat

Am I correct in assuming you have the top and bottom fan blowing in to the GIGANT assembly, so that the positive air pressure will push the air over the fins?

That is correct Boris, the design is for both fans to blow into the cavity, creating a positive pressure that pushes air over the fins to the outside.
We will see how it works.

Donnerstag, 19. Februar 2015, 21:03

Very Nicely done InfoSeeker :thumbup: .. & great that you have shared this as was said it's not often you see these GIGANT builds :)
Nam...

Sonntag, 4. Februar 2024, 17:23

@InfoSeeker Is it possible that your setup causes a "short loop": After coming out of the pump and go to the inlet port on the right, the coolant then go back to the inlet port on the left and then return to your reservoire, not going through the pipes?

I also posted my questions in reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooling/co…airplex_gigant/

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »AquaCustomer« (4. Februar 2024, 17:30)

Sonntag, 4. Februar 2024, 17:46

WOW... blast from the past!

I am not sure of the path you describe, but no, there was no possibility of short looping... there was one direction only.
THIS POST may clear it up for you.

Montag, 5. Februar 2024, 01:11

Thanks but still that post doesn't clear me :(
In the reddit post I realized that there are two paths from the outlet "IN" port to the copper pipe.

• One is via the left inlet port to your res then to your pump then to the right inlet port. From there it goes to the pipe.
  • The other path is very straight forward. It goes directly to the pipe from the outlet "IN".

My worry is setting up like this there might be a possibility of the flow goes back and cause "short loop"

(Sorry for the ugly draw)

EDIT: OH, you mean to avoid this I should use the headless screw to block the "straight forward" path, right?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »AquaCustomer« (5. Februar 2024, 01:38)

Montag, 5. Februar 2024, 03:10

Correct