• 27.04.2024, 16:28
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

lspinks

Aqualis XT base thread stripped - suggestions

Samstag, 6. Februar 2016, 21:23

Reservoir base has two extremely tiny holes drilled and tapped straight into the acetal for two extremely short and tiny screws for attaching the relatively massive and heavy (even more so when filled with liquid) reservoir to the included stainless steel mount.

As it happened, I accidentally stripped the thread in one of the holes when reaching inside the computer and just ever so slightly bumped the reservoir with the elbow.

It's a complete mystery why AC use the bare acetal for the female thread instead of having female thread metal inserts into the acetal to properly secure the screws and the reservoir to the mounting bracket.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this without having to buy an entirely new reservoir?

Sonntag, 7. Februar 2016, 00:31

Someone didn't RTFM did they?

Zitat

Use light force only in order not to damage the thread in the plastic base part!

That said, tap it with a larger size and get an appropriate screw for whatever that size is.

lspinks

Sonntag, 7. Februar 2016, 14:14

Someone didn't RTFM did they?

Yeah, the screws were tightened with appropriate force at the time of mounting the reservoir.

However, as I wrote, I bumped it very slightly with my elbow when reaching inside the case subsequent to it's mounting. Contact was made with the upper most part of the reservoir thus creating a leaver effect multiplying the force of the slight bump my elbow made against it which apparently was enough to rip out the delicate acetal female thread at the base.

IF the female thread was a counter sunk brass insert of a slightly larger diameter into the acetal base, the endurance of the mounting mechanism would improve manifold which is why I think AC skimped on a relatively minor detail in an otherwise very high quality product.