• 16.04.2024, 20:38
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Assembling watercooling - asking for help.

Donnerstag, 18. August 2016, 22:21

Hello!
I'm completely new in regards to cooling computer parts, and I've come here to ask for help. Please bear with me, it's long post, but I'm not sure what's relevant, and what is not.

Just recently I inherited assortment of computer parts from my brother, who decided to move away. I was able to assemble working computer from it, which consists of Core i5-2500, one GeForce 570, one GeForce 710 (the 570 has broken HDMI port and only one functional DVI, so I'm using it solely for video playback on my tv), couple of disks and Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard. the computer is awfully loud and hot, to the point it's uncomfortable to use. My brother was apparently trying to counter this problem, and he was preparing to apply watercooling.

He left me these parts:
- CPU waterblock, apparently complete with good sealing o-ring, for sake of completness, it's probably Koolance CPU-360.
- Aquacomputer waterblock for GTX 570, apparently with good o-ring too (which I'm glad for, since I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to replace it),
- no less than 6 radiators (the one I want to use is 3x 140mm one, it's in best shape),
- assortment of pumps, from which two are in working condition, and I identified them as Laing D5 clones, with only two wires each, ending with same power connectors that old ATA disks used.
- Part that would allow these two pumps to work together in series, but it's cracked.
- Whole bag of barb fittings with clamps, Aquaero pass-trough liquid thermometer with two-pin connector,
- bunch of fans
- unopened, sealed bottle of DoubleProtect Ultra blue, that has been bought ~3 years ago.
- Every part has half inch, or, I think, G1/4" thread.

To complete the loop, I need tubes, reservoir, something to mount the pump (pump top?), and easy way to monitor this contraption. However, since I lack experience, I'd like to ask these questions:
- I verified that all parts are either nickel plated (blocks), or copper (radiator) inside - there shouldn't be any conflict, am I right?
- Should I use one, or two pumps? I'm reading that D5 are really powerful, but are they powerful enough? I don't have any reference to guess this by myself.
- The barbs I have are marked as NK12, and clamps are 18mm inside, when resting. I'm not worried that much abound bends, I have plenty of space, what kind of tubing I should use, material-wise and which size?
- I figured out, that it would be very wise to have a way to monitor and control that system, so I'm thinking of getting Aquaero 5 or 6. However, as I said, the pump have only ground and +12 V cables - will I be able to connect it to the Aquaero and control it? Which one should I pick? Will it need some kind of feature expanding daughterboard to connect everything (I have fan splitters, that won't be a problem).
- Can I actually use the 3-year old Double Protect Ultra liquid? There is no sediment, it's very clear and has vivid color. It's completely unopened, bottle is sealed with a sticker and plastic shrink-wrap.
- How big of a problem are pressure changes inside the liquid cooling loop, that occur with temperature changes? This is relatively small loop, in comparison to what people are building, but I want to close it to prevent dust getting inside. Should I produce som pressure-relieve valve, or it doesn't make a difference?
- Will the single 420mm radiator be able to cool processor and video card (I figured it would be max 300W of heat total, but that's not going to be unusual load)? I have 6 140mm, 1200 rpm fans that will can fit on both sides. Several calculators are confirming it will be ok, but I'd like to verify. I don't want to have crazy low temps, just relative quietness.
- Is there any point in having big reservoir?
- Hydraulic systems should have reservoir on the highest point and pump in the lowest. Rarely people follow that rule, I see, does it really have no impact?

I'm sorry for dropping so many questions, but I don't want to break something because I didn't know better.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Freitag, 19. August 2016, 13:12

Let me try to add some comments to your questions:

Zitat

- I verified that all parts are either nickel plated (blocks), or copper (radiator) inside - there shouldn't be any conflict, am I right?
Correct, today's blocks/radiators are designed for minimal galvanic corrosion interaction.

Zitat

- Should I use one, or two pumps? I'm reading that D5 are really powerful, but are they powerful enough? I don't have any reference to guess this by myself.
That is really up to you. One D5 should handle most loops, but some like the redundancy of a 2nd pump in-line.

Zitat

- The barbs I have are marked as NK12, and clamps are 18mm inside, when resting. I'm not worried that much abound bends, I have plenty of space, what kind of tubing I should use, material-wise and which size?
Material-wise, it is really an aesthetic preference, and size doesn't matter, again mostly aesthetic.

Zitat

- I figured out, that it would be very wise to have a way to monitor and control that system, so I'm thinking of getting Aquaero 5 or 6. However, as I said, the pump have only ground and +12 V cables - will I be able to connect it to the Aquaero and control it? Which one should I pick? Will it need some kind of feature expanding daughterboard to connect everything (I have fan splitters, that won't be a problem).
If the back of the pump you have looks similar to THIS, the only control you have is the 5 manual vario settings at the bottom (red screw). But normally pumps are a set and forget device, not manipulated once the loop is running properly. You could start at setting 3 and see how that works. The major down-side stems from having to change the speed setting after the loop is built.

Zitat

- Can I actually use the 3-year old Double Protect Ultra liquid? There is no sediment, it's very clear and has vivid color. It's completely unopened, bottle is sealed with a sticker and plastic shrink-wrap.
This I cannot speak to, but for the fairly reasonable cost of coolant, I would be loath to use it myself.

Zitat

- How big of a problem are pressure changes inside the liquid cooling loop, that occur with temperature changes? This is relatively small loop, in comparison to what people are building, but I want to close it to prevent dust getting inside. Should I produce som pressure-relieve valve, or it doesn't make a difference?
You could install a Pressure equalization membrane at the top of your reservoir to equalize the reservoir to atmosphere.

Zitat

- Will the single 420mm radiator be able to cool processor and video card (I figured it would be max 300W of heat total, but that's not going to be unusual load)? I have 6 140mm, 1200 rpm fans that will can fit on both sides. Several calculators are confirming it will be ok, but I'd like to verify. I don't want to have crazy low temps, just relative quietness.
Here also, I am not an expert on the subject, but I believe the 420mm rad should be sufficient for the loop you described.

Zitat

- Is there any point in having big reservoir?
Also mostly an aesthetic preference, though the initial fill may be a bit easier (less start/stop cycles) with a larger reservoir.

Zitat

- Hydraulic systems should have reservoir on the highest point and pump in the lowest. Rarely people follow that rule, I see, does it really have no impact?
Physics is physics, and must be considered. But keep in mind these are generally closed loops, and since water doesn't compress well, any gravitational down-pull causes an up-pull on another part of the loop.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »InfoSeeker« (19. August 2016, 13:14)

Freitag, 19. August 2016, 17:28

One pump is enough for cooling the cpu and graphic card..

You should get a reservoir that allows you to mount the Laing D5 pump on it.
for example http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info…roducts_id=3192 or http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info…roducts_id=3190
and maybe a mounting set http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info…roducts_id=3392

instead of an aquaero 5 or 6 you could get a poweradjust 3... http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info…roducts_id=3197
depends on the features you want/need

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 5 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Hufeisen« (19. August 2016, 17:58)

Freitag, 19. August 2016, 18:50

Thank you for you insight! I have another set of questions now.

Zitat

I verified that all parts are either nickel plated (blocks), or copper (radiator) inside - there shouldn't be any conflict, am I right?
Correct, today's blocks/radiators are designed for minimal galvanic corrosion interaction.

Great! Can I / Should I add silver coil to the loop? People add it, and that's one thing I can get cheaply - but I'm kinda worried, won't it react with nickel?

Zitat

I figured out, that it would be very wise to have a way to monitor and control that system, so I'm thinking of getting Aquaero 5 or 6. However, as I said, the pump have only ground and +12 V cables - will I be able to connect it to the Aquaero and control it? Which one should I pick? Will it need some kind of feature expanding daughterboard to connect everything (I have fan splitters, that won't be a problem).
If the back of the pump you have looks similar to THIS, the only control you have is the 5 manual vario settings at the bottom (red screw). But normally pumps are a set and forget device, not manipulated once the loop is running properly. You could start at setting 3 and see how that works. The major down-side stems from having to change the speed setting after the loop is built.
That's exactly the case! However I wonder if it's ok for me to leave the pump on 5/5, and adjust input voltage, like we can do with fans? I have read, that D5 is very versatile pump, it's even being used in on-roof solar installations, so I guess it's reliable unit. I know I can just leave it on some mid setting, it's just I... actually do want to be able to do it from my desktop... is it safe for the pump to be driven with varying voltage?

Zitat

How big of a problem are pressure changes inside the liquid cooling loop, that occur with temperature changes? This is relatively small loop, in comparison to what people are building, but I want to close it to prevent dust getting inside. Should I produce som pressure-relieve valve, or it doesn't make a difference?
You could install a Pressure equalization membrane at the top of your reservoir to equalize the reservoir to atmosphere.
That's nice! I actually found this pressure relief valve inside the fittings bag. But is it really an issue, and do I really need this? Maybe I'm concerned too much?

Zitat

Can I actually use the 3-year old Double Protect Ultra liquid? There is no sediment, it's very clear and has vivid color. It's completely unopened, bottle is sealed with a sticker and plastic shrink-wrap.
This I cannot speak to, but for the fairly reasonable cost of coolant, I would be loath to use it myself.

There is really no other way to put it, I'm dirt-poor. I'm funding the completion of the loop by selling surplus hardware, and this computer is the nicest thing that happened to me in a long time. My previous PC was Via C7 with 1GB DDR2 and 120GB IDE disk - so you can imagine I'm trying to cut corners were I can. I have access to chemically pure distilled water at my job, so flushing and washing things is not a problem for me, it's just readily made liquid is safer and more hassle-free. Additives are probably in same price range as new liquid. Hell, I could fill it with tap water, but long term effects would be disastrous. Big question here - would you try to use it, even for limited time, if you hadn't anything else?

One pump is enough for cooling the cpu and graphic card. You should get a reservoir that allows you to mount the Laing D5 pump on it, for example http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=3192 or [url]http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=3190, and maybe a mounting set http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info…roducts_id=3392. Instead of an aquaero 5 or 6 you could get a poweradjust 3... http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info…roducts_id=3197. depends on the features you want/need[/url]

Thank you! These actually look nice, I'll get the smaller one. I don't need a mounting kit, since I don't really have computer case, just a wooden bench, couple of hdd cradles and anti-vibration mat, that I got as an extra at my workplace. Little bit dusty way to run a PC, but works well!

By the way, I thought, Poweradjust is just a daughterboard for Aquaero. It even has the header for temperature sensor, I hope it will work with the one I have! If yes, then I'm good to go and it's 1/3 cheaper :)
I actually wanted to be able to control everything from my desktop.

Maybe I should mention this, but I can't really use fan headers from the motherboard - they don't work for some reason. Otherwise I'd just use some clever splitter, and powered pump from CPU_fan header, and everything else from others. It is possible, that chip that controls the fans is fried :(

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »iscra« (19. August 2016, 18:59)

Freitag, 19. August 2016, 22:41

Controlling the pump from your desktop is useless.
a faster pump only increases water flow rate, which has very little effect on the temperature. (max. 1°C)
Minimum water flow rate should be 30 Litre/Hour, everything above only make a very little difference..

Poweradjust 3 can be used as standalone fan controller, read the manual here http://aquacomputer.de/handbuecher.html?…sh_20140528.pdf
Poweradjust only has 1 fan output, so you have to use Y-cables for your fans and can only control them all together using the aquasuite software.
Aquaero can control each fan individually, so you have a lot more options.

I dont know if you can still use the 3 year old Double Protect Ultra... Just try it. If algae start growing in your water system, change the coolant asap.

You can also use Ethane-1,2-diol mixed with distilled water as a coolant. (30% Ethane-1,2-diol, 70% distilled water) if you can get that at your job :)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Hufeisen« (19. August 2016, 22:56)

Samstag, 20. August 2016, 22:41

Zitat

Great! Can I / Should I add silver coil to the loop? People add it, and that's one thing I can get cheaply - but I'm kinda worried, won't it react with nickel?
No need for silver kill coil - the DP Ultra contains biocide.

Zitat

That's exactly the case! However I wonder if it's ok for me to leave the pump on 5/5, and adjust input voltage, like we can do with fans? I have read, that D5 is very versatile pump, it's even being used in on-roof solar installations, so I guess it's reliable unit. I know I can just leave it on some mid setting, it's just I... actually do want to be able to do it from my desktop... is it safe for the pump to be driven with varying voltage?
I believe there should be no issue driving the pump with varying voltage, but you have to look at the limitations of the controlling device. If I remember correctly, the Laing D5 pump is rated 23W at 12V, this exceeds the aquaero 5's capability which is limited to 19.8W per fan channel. The aquaero 6 though, can go to 30W per fan channel, so I think that may be possible. BUT, you have no RPM report coming from the pump motor, so you will need to monitor your flow to see the effect of your control.

As to flow rate in the loop, I personally do not run below 150 liters per hour, and target 200.

Zitat

That's nice! I actually found this pressure relief valve inside the fittings bag. But is it really an issue, and do I really need this? Maybe I'm concerned too much?
Many run without a pressure relief valve... it is somewhat depended on the tubing/fittings you use.
i.e. glass tubing with Bitspower C48 fittings may make you more vulnerable to high loop pressures.

Zitat

There is really no other way to put it, I'm dirt-poor. I'm funding the completion of the loop by selling surplus hardware, and this computer is the nicest thing that happened to me in a long time. My previous PC was Via C7 with 1GB DDR2 and 120GB IDE disk - so you can imagine I'm trying to cut corners were I can. I have access to chemically pure distilled water at my job, so flushing and washing things is not a problem for me, it's just readily made liquid is safer and more hassle-free. Additives are probably in same price range as new liquid. Hell, I could fill it with tap water, but long term effects would be disastrous. Big question here - would you try to use it, even for limited time, if you hadn't anything else?
lol, you know how to ask a question to get the answer you want. Personally, I would not because I am lazy and wouldn't want to get where I have to drain, flush and refill the loop. For you it looks to be different, your system sounds to be very accessable, you are brimming with energy, and you prefer not to spend money on this problem. So go for it, there should be no permanent repercussions from trying.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »InfoSeeker« (20. August 2016, 22:42)

Samstag, 20. August 2016, 23:49

I would NOT use tap water in a liquid cooling system. All hell would break loose eventually. Better off distilled water and boicide.

If you're this poor, why not save up and just do computer upgrades than risking it with liquids and not having funds in a emergency situation that might arise? Low risk but still.

Freitag, 26. August 2016, 01:06

I know, no tap water!
I filled everything with DP Ultra Blue, that's 3 years old. It stinks like hell, but so far so good. Kind of... glicol-like smell. I'm going to check it daily, and if anything goes sought, I'm switching to distilled water. I wired everything into molex adapter, so no Aquaero or poweradjust - pump works ok, this allowed me to save money.

I managed to sell everything else, in bulk, and bought a SSD - two in fact, used 120GB and new 256GB. I'm fine with this amount of storage, so hard disks went away too. Effect: PC IS ABSOLUTELY QUIET! And it's so fast it's unbelievable!

Thank you for setting me straight on some topics and for information and help. I really appreciate it!

If I ever manage to, you know... not be poor anymore, I'll definitely return here! I'm young, whole life is before me, so I have hope.

So long, and thank you all from my heart! :)

Freitag, 26. August 2016, 02:11

I'm actually leaving distilled water + silver kill coils for Aqua's Clear fluid. Tired of the oxidation it leaves on my CPUs. I'd recommend to stay with these kind of fluids. If you go color, its fine but it will eventually stain your gear.

SSDs are by far one of the biggest performance improvements for PCs, coming from mechanicals/spinners of course.