• 23.04.2024, 09:40
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

SPLITTY9 and fried electronics in Aquaero 5 LT

Sonntag, 25. September 2016, 14:28

The smell of fried chicken in the evening is a wonderful smell. The smell of fried electronics - anytime of day - is a smell of dread. This is the fate I have just suffered.

Everything working fine

I've been running a cooling system with the following components:
Aquaero 5 LT connected to motherboard using USB 2.0 cable and PSU by Molex power cable
One Aqua Computer D5 Pump with Aquabus interface, connected to the Aquaero by USB 2.0 cable
One Aqua Computer D5 Pump with Aquabus interface, connected to the Aquaero by3 pin Aquabus cable to the "Aquabus High" input
Bank of 3 non-PWM eLoop 120mm fans connected to Aquaero fan group 1 using ModMy Toys splitter
Bank of 2 non-PWM eLoop 120mm fans connected to Aquaero fan group 2 using ModMy Toys splitter

I've had it running okay for a year: fans running typically at 40%; pumps running fine also at 40% power. However as I only have 1 Aquabus input and 2 available internal USB 2.0 motherboard outputs (one of which is taken by the Aquaero and one by one of the D5s) I have not had full control / analysis of pump speeds for both D5 pumps. This is something I have wanted to correct. Also I have a mps flow 400 device which is currently not being used which I also want to connect and have working.

Problem starts

So I bought a SPLITTY9. And I did the following:
  1. I moved the jumper from the factory default position to the left most position shows in the picture here:
  2. I used one of the 4 pin Aquabus cables to connect the Aquaero 5 LT to the "Input" of the SPLITTY9.
  3. I connected one of the D5 pumps to the "rpm" pin out on the SPLITTY9 using a 4 pin Aquabus cable
  4. I connected the other D5 pump to one of the other spare pinouts on the SPLITTY 9 using a 3 pin Aquabus cable. (I did not have another 4 pin Aquabus cable available).
  5. I still had the mps flow 400 unused... I wanted to get the D5 pumps up and running first before connecting the flow meter.

I powered on the system and immediately I could smell fried electronics and see smoke coming from the area housing my Aquaero and D5 pumps. It was a little difficult to see if the smoke was coming from one of the pumps or from the Aquaero. I powered off very quickly. Within a few seconds and unplugged the system from the mains supply.

Next I disconnected all the Aquabus cables from the Aquaero. (This was the only thing that changed from my earlier installation which had been working for a year without problem). And I powered on my system again. None of the "power on" LEDs on the Aquaero were on and when my system booted into Windows the Aquasuite showed null readings for all sensor measurements. Also all of the case / radiator fans were inoperative. It seems that both D5 pumps are now running at full speed (which I understand is their default setting if they are not getting any signal from the Aquaero).

My questions

1. So does anybody know what has gone wrong? Did I actually do something wrong here? It seems that I must have.
  2. Am I correct thinking the the Aquaero 5 LT is fried / dead now? Can it be repaired or do I just need to swallow the cost of a new replacement?
  3. Am I correct thinking that the D5 Pumps with Aquabus as likely okay?
  4. Was I wrong to connect the SPLITTY9 jumper to the position I used using a four pin Aquabus cable?
  5. Was I wrong to connect one of the D5's to the "RPM" SPLITTY output using a four pin Aquabus cable?
  6. Was I wrong to use a 3 pin Aquabus cable for the other D5 pump?

Thanks for any information. I am kinda upset as I don't understand what I did wrong that would lead to such a catastrophic component failure.

- Simon.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »SimonOcean« (25. September 2016, 14:36)

Sonntag, 25. September 2016, 14:29

I can't seem to get the hyperlink to my photo working correctly.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »SimonOcean« (25. September 2016, 14:34)

RE: SPLITTY9 and fried electronics in Aquaero 5 LT

Sonntag, 25. September 2016, 18:15

The smell of fried chicken in the evening is a wonderful smell. The smell of fried electronics - anytime of day - is a smell of dread. This is the fate I have just suffered.

Everything working fine

I've been running a cooling system with the following components:
Aquaero 5 LT connected to motherboard using USB 2.0 cable and PSU by Molex power cable
One Aqua Computer D5 Pump with Aquabus interface, connected to the Aquaero by USB 2.0 cable
One Aqua Computer D5 Pump with Aquabus interface, connected to the Aquaero by3 pin Aquabus cable to the "Aquabus High" input
Bank of 3 non-PWM eLoop 120mm fans connected to Aquaero fan group 1 using ModMy Toys splitter
Bank of 2 non-PWM eLoop 120mm fans connected to Aquaero fan group 2 using ModMy Toys splitter

I've had it running okay for a year: fans running typically at 40%; pumps running fine also at 40% power. However as I only have 1 Aquabus input and 2 available internal USB 2.0 motherboard outputs (one of which is taken by the Aquaero and one by one of the D5s) I have not had full control / analysis of pump speeds for both D5 pumps. This is something I have wanted to correct. Also I have a mps flow 400 device which is currently not being used which I also want to connect and have working.

Problem starts

So I bought a SPLITTY9. And I did the following:
  1. I moved the jumper from the factory default position to the left most position shows in the picture here:
  2. I used one of the 4 pin Aquabus cables to connect the Aquaero 5 LT to the "Input" of the SPLITTY9.
  3. I connected one of the D5 pumps to the "rpm" pin out on the SPLITTY9 using a 4 pin Aquabus cable
  4. I connected the other D5 pump to one of the other spare pinouts on the SPLITTY 9 using a 3 pin Aquabus cable. (I did not have another 4 pin Aquabus cable available).
  5. I still had the mps flow 400 unused... I wanted to get the D5 pumps up and running first before connecting the flow meter.

I powered on the system and immediately I could smell fried electronics and see smoke coming from the area housing my Aquaero and D5 pumps. It was a little difficult to see if the smoke was coming from one of the pumps or from the Aquaero. I powered off very quickly. Within a few seconds and unplugged the system from the mains supply.

Next I disconnected all the Aquabus cables from the Aquaero. (This was the only thing that changed from my earlier installation which had been working for a year without problem). And I powered on my system again. None of the "power on" LEDs on the Aquaero were on and when my system booted into Windows the Aquasuite showed null readings for all sensor measurements. Also all of the case / radiator fans were inoperative. It seems that both D5 pumps are now running at full speed (which I understand is their default setting if they are not getting any signal from the Aquaero).

My questions

1. So does anybody know what has gone wrong? Did I actually do something wrong here? It seems that I must have.
  2. Am I correct thinking the the Aquaero 5 LT is fried / dead now? Can it be repaired or do I just need to swallow the cost of a new replacement?
  3. Am I correct thinking that the D5 Pumps with Aquabus as likely okay?
  4. Was I wrong to connect the SPLITTY9 jumper to the position I used using a four pin Aquabus cable?
  5. Was I wrong to connect one of the D5's to the "RPM" SPLITTY output using a four pin Aquabus cable?
  6. Was I wrong to use a 3 pin Aquabus cable for the other D5 pump?

Thanks for any information. I am kinda upset as I don't understand what I did wrong that would lead to such a catastrophic component failure.

- Simon.

Reading this was like watching a horror movie in slow motion. Sorry to hear what has happened. It happens to the best of us but now is the time to figure out what went wrong so you don't repeat the same mistake.

Good news is, your pumps seem to have survived along with the unused MPS flow meter. Bad news is, it does sound like your AQ 5 LT is gone.

My question to you is, did you connect the SPLITTY9 to the Aquabus High header because installing with 3 or 4-Pin Aquabus cables don't really matter so that shouldn't have triggered anything.

Honestly, the only thing I can think of is possibly installing the USB connections the wrong way or SPLITTY9's open headers were touching something they weren't suppose to by accident.

Sonntag, 25. September 2016, 18:42

Hi GTXJackBauer. Thanks for getting back to me with the offer of some help.

You asked: "My question to you is, did you connect the SPLITTY9 to the Aquabus High header...?"
Yes, I am pretty sure that I connected the SPLITTY9 to the Aquabus "High" Header. The only reason that I am not 100% sure is that I unplugged everything in a panic trying to save the system. In hindsight I should have taken some pictures to document everything.

And you said: "because installing with 3 or 4-Pin Aquabus cables don't really matter!"
What signal does the fourth pin on an Aquabus cable carry that a three pin Aquabus cable does not use? Am I correct that Pin 4 is +5V? (Pin 1 Ground, Pin 2 SDA / Data line, Pin 3 SCL / Clock Line).

Agree, that I need to understand what has gone wrong. I don't want to fry more components or waste a replacement Aquaero by repeating the same mistake.

Simon.

Sonntag, 25. September 2016, 19:03

The difference between a 3-pin or 4-pin Aquabus cable is the 4-pin carries power while the 3-pin doesn't. All it is so it is used to power some AQ Flow meters. For most of the other MPS devices like the Pumps, farbwerk, poweradjust don't need the 4-pin and only 3-pin because they get their own power but using the 4-pin on everything to be sure if it was ever needed is fine too.

Montag, 26. September 2016, 02:08

The installation steps you listed appear to have been correct correct.

Did you happen to unplug/re-plug the USB connection on the AQ5 LT during the installation process?

Montag, 26. September 2016, 09:40

I am pretty sure something was connected the wrong way when the aquaero starts to smoke.

Maybe you can take a detailed photo of the aquaero board (without sticker)? If you are lucky only one of the protection circuits burned down so it can be repaired. One thing you should also take a close look at is the CPU. When the sticker is still attached you should check it for a little bump. That would be an indicator that the CPU is burned. In this case it can not be repaired.

I am not so sure if the mps boards in the pumps have survived. If you can still control them via USB there is a good chance but it is still possible that their aquabus interface will not work anymore.

Montag, 26. September 2016, 11:41

Thank you for the responses everyone.

@InfoSeeker
No, I did not unplug or reconnect the USB connection on the AQ5 LT during in the installation.

@Shoggy
"I am pretty sure something was connected the wrong way when the aquaero starts to smoke."- The only connections that changed on the Aquaero were related to the Aquabus High Pinout. The connector shape kind of makes that difficult to push in the wrong way around, unless you connect it to completely the wrong terminal.

"Maybe you can take a detailed photo of the aquaero board (without sticker)? If you are lucky only one of the protection circuits burned down so it can be repaired. One thing you should also take a close look at is the CPU. When the sticker is still attached you should check it for a little bump. That would be an indicator that the CPU is burned. In this case it can not be repaired."
- Good info. Thank you. I will take a photo but it might take a few days / a week as I need to empty my waterloop and I need to keep using my PC right now.

"I am not so sure if the mps boards in the pumps have survived. If you can still control them via USB there is a good chance but it is still possible that their aquabus interface will not work anymore."
- Indeed. This is another thing I am fearful of... the cost of replacing one AQ5 LT is one thing. The cost of replacing two expensive D5 pumps as well is something else entirely.

I am feeling really bummed out. ;( Thanks for your input everyone.

Montag, 26. September 2016, 12:10

The pump itself (the mechanic) part should be OK. The worst thing that can happen is that the controller board must be exchanged which costs much less than a new pump ;)

Montag, 26. September 2016, 18:16

"The worst thing that can happen is that the controller board must be exchanged which costs much less than a new pump ;)"
- Okay, that is something positive. I'll see if the D5s are okay first. If not then I will ask you the procedure to get the logic boards replaced.

Thank you.