• 18.04.2024, 21:55
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Splitty9 with Aquaero 5 LT for 8 Fans

Montag, 7. Mai 2018, 06:36

Hi aquaero Fans! I need some help with the following configuration:
  • Aquaero 5 LT
  • SPLITTY 9
  • 8 X Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-3 1900 RPM X 8

I had assumed that I'd be able to use the 3 PIN Aquabus cable included with the aquaero 5 LT to power my 8 Fans via the SPLITTY9 but when I was priming my loop and without the aquaero 5 LT plugged into USB the fans did not spin up. Looking at other builds it seems that with this many fans it may be too much for the aquaero? Should I use another configuration?

Thanks for your help!

Paul
»pthomson« hat folgende Datei angehängt:

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »pthomson« (7. Mai 2018, 06:45)

Montag, 7. Mai 2018, 08:10

That configuration is incorrect and you could possibly damage the Aquaero by doing that. You want to use the Fan Channels and not the Aquabus header for the SPLITTY9 when it comes to powering and controlling fans.

I don't know if I'd run all 8 fans on one fan channel on the 5, dependent that it doesn't exceed the channel's limitations, otherwise a simple 4 fans per channel should work fine.

The Aquabus is used for addon devices that use the Aquabus as a communications port.

Don't forget, any misconfigurations can damage the controller or other things so let's make sure before hand when connecting things.

If you have any questions, ask away and make sure to read the AQ Manual on the site.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 7 mal editiert, zuletzt von »GTXJackBauer« (7. Mai 2018, 08:25)

Montag, 7. Mai 2018, 16:42

That configuration is incorrect and you could possibly damage the Aquaero by doing that. You want to use the Fan Channels and not the Aquabus header for the SPLITTY9 when it comes to powering and controlling fans.

I don't know if I'd run all 8 fans on one fan channel on the 5, dependent that it doesn't exceed the channel's limitations, otherwise a simple 4 fans per channel should work fine.

The Aquabus is used for addon devices that use the Aquabus as a communications port.

Don't forget, any misconfigurations can damage the controller or other things so let's make sure before hand when connecting things.

If you have any questions, ask away and make sure to read the AQ Manual on the site.
Thanks Jack. Do you happen to know if it's possible to power the SPLITTY9 from PSU while maintaining voltage control from the Aquero? Otherwise I'll need to install another slitter and run 4 fans per channel :(

Montag, 7. Mai 2018, 16:51

I remember seeing another post indicating that the splitty gets all it's power from the Aquaero.

Montag, 7. Mai 2018, 17:41

Thanks Jack. Do you happen to know if it's possible to power the SPLITTY9 from PSU while maintaining voltage control from the Aquero? Otherwise I'll need to install another slitter and run 4 fans per channel :(

The SPLITTY9 can only get powered by the device you connect it too, which is the AQ6. It's not one of those fan hubs that gets separate power via PSU that I believe you're thinking of.

So yeah, another SPLITTY9 can be used for another channel, so on and so forth.

Don't forget, you could also use the SPLITTY9 to combine several Aquabus devices but I don't want to confuse you with the two as you can only use one or the other with it.

I remember seeing another post indicating that the splitty gets all it's power from the Aquaero.

That is correct.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »GTXJackBauer« (7. Mai 2018, 17:43)

Montag, 7. Mai 2018, 18:02

The SPLITTY9 can only get powered by the device you connect it too, which is the AQ6. It's not one of those fan hubs that gets separate power via PSU that I believe you're thinking of.

So yeah, another SPLITTY9 can be used for another channel, so on and so forth.

Don't forget, you could also use the SPLITTY9 to combine several Aquabus devices but I don't want to confuse you with the two as you can only use one or the other with it.

That is correct.
Thanks for the quick reply Jack. A couple more questions:
  1. I have an Aquaero 5 LT which I belive only has 1AMP max per channel. If I replaced the 5LT with the 6 LT could I run 6 fans on one channel with the rest on channels 1,2 & 3? Obviously this would mean paying for another Aquaero. The reason why I ask is that I have riveted the SPLITTY and Aquaero to the back of my Caselabs SM8 and would prefer not to have to rivet another SPLITTY which is only being used for 4 fans out of 9
  2. Do you happen to know which cable I need to connect the Aquaero fan channel to the SPLITTY?

Splitty9

Montag, 7. Mai 2018, 19:00

I *just* (less than 5 minutes ago) got a Splitty9 in the mail. It specifically says not to connect more than 5A of things to it.

Specifically -

"Notice: Do not exceed the splitter's maximum current rating of 5A! Observe the maximum rating of the fan output as well as when connecting multiple fans!"

So, find out how much current each fan draws and add them up. You can add fans until as long as you stay under 5A.

You use a female-4pin to female-4pin connector to connect the Splitty9 to the Aquaero board.

(Forgive me if I am saying what has already been expressed.)

RE: Splitty9

Montag, 7. Mai 2018, 19:27

I *just* (less than 5 minutes ago) got a Splitty9 in the mail. It specifically says not to connect more than 5A of things to it.

Specifically -

"Notice: Do not exceed the splitter's maximum current rating of 5A! Observe the maximum rating of the fan output as well as when connecting multiple fans!"

So, find out how much current each fan draws and add them up. You can add fans until as long as you stay under 5A.

You use a female-4pin to female-4pin connector to connect the Splitty9 to the Aquaero board.

(Forgive me if I am saying what has already been expressed.)
Thanks Jamie - that's helpful. It sounds like I need to make a decision regarding adding another SPLITTY9 and halving the load or upgrading the Aquaero 5 LT to a 6 LT and loading as many fans as I can to one channel with the remainder on channels 2,3 & 4.

RE: RE: Splitty9

Dienstag, 8. Mai 2018, 02:31

Thanks Jamie
?( You didn't mean to do that on purpose did you? I really was trying to be helpful.

RE: RE: RE: Splitty9

Dienstag, 8. Mai 2018, 02:53

Thanks Jamie
?( You didn't mean to do that on purpose did you? I really was trying to be helpful.
Sorry I meant James. My mistake.

Dienstag, 8. Mai 2018, 04:31

Wait.
I just looked at your picture again. Why do you have the RPM output of the Aquaero 5 going to the Spitty9?
Shouldn't your Fan1 on the Aquaero be going to the Splitty9 Input?
I am not absolutely sure but I think the current for your fans is 0.08A so 8 of them should be only just over 1/2 an amp. That's fine for the Splitty9 by a factor of 10.
You should be able to plug all your fans into it and then run a plug from the input of the splitty9 to the Fan1 on the Aquaero.

I am very sorry I didn't read the original question correctly.
I hope this gets to you before you spend money you don't have to.

PS. If you feel uncomfortable with having all the fans on the same Splitty9 you could always take three of them and put them on Fan2, Fan3, and Fan4. That would make your Splitty9 run at 5x0.08A or 0.4A (if my source is correct).

James

Dienstag, 8. Mai 2018, 08:19

Yes, the SPLITTY9 can handle up to 5 Amps but that doesn't necessarily mean you can do the same to the Fan header you can connect it to. Make sure you properly do the math and add up how many amps each fan is and go from there. Again, you could damage your gear so be careful.

Here's is the info I had found through the AQ5/6 Manual. Make sure you have a good read through it. It will answer most of your questions.

Zitat

4.3. Connector “Fan 1/2/3/4”

Voltage regulated fan outputs with speed signal processing.

aquaero 5:
Maximum output power is 19.8 W (1.65 A at 12 V) for each channel. Maximum
power is dynamically limited through temperature monitoring and will
decrease considerably at lower output voltages. In case an output amplifier
temperature rises to ca. 95 °C, the output is set to 100 % power. After cooling
down to ca. 70 °C, normal operation will resume. If the temperature rises
to ca. 100 °C, the output will be permanently disabled. To reactivate the
output, the aquaero (or the complete PC) has to be disconnected from
power for a short period of time. Despite this overload protection, the fan
outputs are not short-circuit proof!
Special feature “Fan 4”: This connector can be used Special feature “Fan 4”: for conventional fans
or PWM controlled fans. For PWM fans, select “Outputs” “Fans” “Fan → →
4” from the menu and set “Control mode” to “PWM controlled”.

aquaero 6:
Maximum current is 2.5 A per output independent of output voltage, resulting
in a maximum power of 30 W at 12 V. Outputs will be switched of if
amplifier temperatures reach a critical level and will automatically be reactivated
when cooled down. If an output current of 3 A is exceeded, the output
will be permanently disabled. To reactivate the output, the aquaero (or
the complete PC) has to be disconnected from power for a short period of
time. The fan outputs are short-circuit proof.
All fan connectors can be used for conventional fans or PWM controlled
fans. For PWM fans, select “Outputs” “Fans” “Fan → → 1-4” from the menu
and set “Control mode” to “PWM controlled”.

I personally, would sell the AQ5 and go with the AQ6 OR you could just slave the 5 to the 6 if you'd like. The AQ6 is basically a beefed up and more efficient running AQ5. It can handle better loads, thermals, etc. For example, I run x9 Swiftech HeliX 120 PWM fans on a single SPLITTY9 on Ch 2 on the AQ6. Each fan runs on 0.2A x 9 = 1.8A at max from a total of 2.5A the channel is capable of.

The RPM header on the AQ is to give you a simulated RPM reading to your CPU fan header so your PC can still boot up or shutdown if signal was lost for example since some MB's have a warning system in place when they don't detect a signal from the CPU header while some other's might allow you to disable that header to bypass it if you're using custom cooling with the controller for example since nothing will be connected to it by default.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 4 mal editiert, zuletzt von »GTXJackBauer« (8. Mai 2018, 08:32)

Dienstag, 8. Mai 2018, 10:59

You can buy a Poweradjust to add one fan channel and use the splitty to control more fans. No need for another aq

Dienstag, 8. Mai 2018, 20:13

Before you buy anything else, I would advise finding out how much current each of your fans draw and adding it up. Your upper limit for the 5 LT is 1.6 A like Jack indicated. That would mean all your fans would have to draw 0.2 A each. Even if they do, you could just take three of the eight and move them to fan channels 2, 3 and 4.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »jamesweishaar« (8. Mai 2018, 20:21)

Dienstag, 8. Mai 2018, 20:29

The most I have seen these fans advertised as drawing was 0.17A (at performance-pc). That would give you a total current draw of 1.36A or 85% of max for the channel.

Dienstag, 29. Mai 2018, 12:19

The NB eloops are very power hungry fans for their rated speeds. I have some of the same B12-3 models that I tried to use with my old Aq5 and from memory I couldn't get more than 3 connected to a single channel before running them at low volts and speed triggered the temp overheat protection. Spreading them out amongst the 4 fan headers doesn't help all that much unfortunately as the heat combines on the fan amps so you can use fewer per channel. They use a bit over 2 watts at full 12V but you always see some voltage drop so they don't quite use that much. I Think the max I got was 6 spread amongst all the fan headers while using the largest air sink. With the water block you could use a lot more of course.

The Aq5 is rated at much more than 12W of course and it can do it with proper cooling at 12V no problem. Its when you want to slow the fans for low noise that the excessive heat kicks in.

I ended up getting the PWM version eloops and putting them all on the single PWM fan header just to get a decent number of them running on my rads without cooking my Aq5. Then the Aq6 came along and solved the whole problem of course, after I had bought all those fans though naturally:)

PS. That pic of the Splitty 9 connected to the Aqubus port and fans on the splitter was horrifying to look imagining what could happen. I bet many others have been caught out in the same way being confused by the PWM or Aquabus function of the splitty and what it really means.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Jakusonfire« (29. Mai 2018, 12:32)