• 16.09.2019, 17:16
  • Register
  • Login
  • You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Aqua Computer Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

avictord

[HOW TO] Over current work around on Aquaero 5LT

Friday, January 18th 2019, 10:01am

I Hope that someone finds this useful should it occur on your system....

BACKGROUND
-----------------
I decided to make use of a spare AQUAERO 5LT (Fan Ports with 1.65 AMPS) on another system to manage PWM fans to an All-in-one or AIO (NZXT Kraken X31) cooler for a GTX TITAN and to manage the AIO pump itself. The AIO also has a USB to the motherboard providing other data (as seen in AIDA64) about liquid temps and pump RPMs etc. (NZXT software NOT installed)

SETUP
---------
  • I first set up the AIO fans on the AQUAERO and left the AIO pump header on the Motherboard (X99).
  • The fans power and fan curve controller where established on the PWM Fan 4 port on the AQUAERO (all good so far).
  • The fan curve control was based on the temps of the GTX Titan and FAN4.
  • The Fans where now fully controlled by AQUASUITE software :thumbup:

I proceeded to place the the AIO pump header onto FAN 1 on the AQUAERO only to received an Over Current error message in AQUASUITE.

The AIO specification is ~380mAMPS (~0.4 AMPS). I thought this was extremely odd..... The AQUAERO fan ports should run upwards of 1.65 AMPS easily... :thumbdown:

So I said "Stuff this!",
  • I placed the AIO Pump header on FAN4 port on the AQUAERO which managed the AIO Fans. Suddenly no Over Current.... ?(
  • I set up the AIO Fans on the 3 pin FAN1 port on the AQUAERO instead, with the same fan curves as set on FAN4 (obviously no PWM - no matter).
  • I then changed to a preset control for the FAN4 port and removed the Fan curve so that the AIO pump would run at constant speed.

CONCLUSION
--------------------
NOW that the AIO Pump and fans where all running on the AQUAERO 5 LT, I then checked the FAN port data of the AIO pump within AQUASUITE. I noticed constant fluctuation between the volts and AMPS of the AIO pump, however the RPMs of the pump where static (around 2150) as reported by AIDA64.

In this case I suspected that the AIO when starting in an uncontrolled state requires more AMPS than what the 5LT can provide. However, once under control (as setup above) the Over Current is no longer a problem.
Clearly unknown to me the AIO pump I have is manufactured this way from NZXT.

Should anyone have a similar problem you could try this method of testing....
:)