• 16.04.2024, 07:52
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

RGBpx wiring; is there a true splitter or hub for the RGBpx LED strips?

Sonntag, 27. Januar 2019, 17:27

Hi,

I found that the splitty4 is not really an RGBpx splitter, it is a fan splitter for other vendor fans. I expect many people know that, but it was not clear to me when I purchased one; I thought that it was a splitter for RGBpx that also supported other vendor RGB fans. It does not split the RGBpx itself. I don't have any RGB fans from any vendor; I only have RGB on farbwerk and RGBpx strips for the Quadro.

The limitations with the wiring and lack of options for the RGBpx adds unexpected challenges. I did not expect to have to connect them all in series, or be constrained in the cable lenghts due to their tiny header/connectors due to their being a unique size compared to all other AQ parts I own.

I wanted to purchase some kind of RGBpx splitter to allow for ideal strip placement and cable management; I did not realize each RGBpx strip must connect to each other in sequence as the only available method for the Quadro to control them, nor that the RGBpx addressing is based on the order of sequence rather than actually being individually addressed (like an aquabus selectable address, for example). The farbwerk physical wiring is what I expected, and I also expected they could not be mixed--but I did not anticipate that the design options were limited to one giant string of LEDs for the RGBpx.

I expected the Quadro would have four different RGBpx headers for direct control; much like how the Farbwerk does for RGB, however, I understand now that is not how the connection works, there is a single connection, and all must connect to it. The splitty 4 seemed like it would be the solution, but it is not. It sounded like it would be an RGBpx splitter and was the way to connect RGBpx strips back to the Quadro for custom placement requirements- It does not allow for that--there are no RGBpx connections at all except for the one to receive data from other vendor hardware. That was not expected and I cannot find an AQ solution that allows for this.

Can someone suggest what the RGBpx cable/Quadro header/pin part numbers are, so that I may try to create my own "T" and "L" junctions or to create a true splitter/hub for the RGBpx strips? I'm just looking to make it fit my case properly and I didn't expect this to be so hard compared to what is available for Farbwerk compatible RGB LEDs.
Are the RGBpx/Quadro pinouts using JST mini of some kind? what type are they? Can this info be placed in the manual in the future as part of the technical specifications? (I can crimp the cables or make a breadboard to do what I want, that's fine... I just need to know what the header/plug JST size is so I can order the parts....but it'd be great if a ready made solution was available for purchase to split RGBpx LED strips. Maybe call it Splitty RGBpx...)

I recognize I cannot use more than the limit of addressable RGBpx LEDs in any combination of strips and to exceed 60 would mean I require a second Quadro.. I would like to connect the strips in a manner besides end-to-end and the splitty4 for rgbx doesn't work at all for that purpose; it is for systems that are not rgbpx. it might be best if that splitty 4 is called an adapter for other vendor hardware to work with the quadro than to call it a perfect a splitter for rgbpx.

I misunderstood or mistranslated that the description of "Splitter for fan power supply and RGBpx lighting control." did not actually control or allow one to split the connections of RGBpx LED strips. It even says "The mixed connection of lighting systems from different manufacturers is not possible!" which meant great, I am not using anything except Aquacomputer RGBpx, this should work great. But it is not for someone without lighting systems from a different manufacturer. It is my fault for not understanding that--I am hoping someone can help with how to connect the RGBpx without them being physically in series, even if they logically must be (as long as they can be addressed that is fine with me...)

Thank you for your help. I expect other people have been more creative than me, and in the near future other people will too, and perhaps this thread can be used to help those that might have encountered similar problems and might share some of their ideas for solutions.

levifig

Dienstag, 5. Februar 2019, 06:32

I'm on the same boat. The 64 max addressable LEDs per QUADRO would work fine for me and my 12 fans/3 splitty4s. I don't need more PWM channels, or temperature sensors, so I REALLY don't need more QUADROs... It makes no sense to me that I can't "split" the RGBpx from the QUADRO to power multiple Splitty4s... :(

Mittwoch, 6. Februar 2019, 00:08

Yup, im on that boat for sure, im not buying another Quadro to connect 7 Corsair HD RGB fans, can we just join 2 RGBPX cables from 2 splitty 4 to 1 Quadro?

Mittwoch, 6. Februar 2019, 00:43

can we just join 2 RGBPX cables from 2 splitty 4 to 1 Quadro?
You could create a Y-Cable to connect 2 Splitty4 to a single Quadro.
The Problem is that this will create two groups of Fans, one group for each Splitty4.
Both groups always have the same color sequence, because the data with the colors is split with the Y-Cable and sent to each of the Splitty4.

Other theoretical options (i dont know if these actually work, but they should work in theory)

You could be able to chain two Splitty4. This allows you to connect more than 4 Fans to a Quadro.
for this you need to solder three cables to the correct pins on the back side of the first Splitty4 and connect these to the second Splitty4. (see Attachment)

Another option is to modify the Fan RGB Cable and chain several Fans directly.
For this you need to find out which Cable is for the Data in and Data out.
Connecting the Data out cable of the first Fan to the Data in Cable of the next Fan could work, too.

WARNING:
I dont know the Pin layout of the Splitty4 nor the Pin Layout of the Fans, so you need to do the modifications at your own Risk.
I dont know the maximum Power output of the Quadro RGBpx Connector. If you connect too many LEDs it might damage your Quadro.

How the addressable RGB color changing works:
The Quadro send the Data containing a Counter (starting at 63) and 64 different colors to the LED Strip (or Fan).
The first LED of the Strip will read the Counter (63), and apply the color number corresponding to the Counter.
Then the LED decreases the Counter by 1 and sends the Data packet to the next LED.
The second LED will read the Counter (now 62) and apply the color, then decreases the Counter by 1 and send the data to the next LED.
This continues until the Counter reaches 0. LEDs after that wont change the color anymore.
This is why there cant be a real Splitter. You always have to chain the LEDs.

»Hufeisen« hat folgende Datei angehängt:

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 13 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Hufeisen« (7. Februar 2019, 00:57)

Mittwoch, 6. Februar 2019, 02:46

Thank you Hulfeisen, I have 7 Corsair HD fans that contains a total of 84 RGB leds, I can use it as 2 groups no problem in that as long as Quadro can power 84 leds.

Can it power 84 leds? and if i can, can I join the 2 RGBpx cables to connect then to a single Quadro?

Donnerstag, 7. Februar 2019, 00:45

Can it power 84 leds?
I dont know, there is no information about this in the Manual of the Quadro.
If you want to be on the safe side, you can connect the pwr and gnd cables directly to the power supply instead of the quadro. only the data cables need to be on the quadro.

can I join the 2 RGBpx cables to connect then to a single Quadro?
It should work in theory.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Hufeisen« (7. Februar 2019, 00:53)

Donnerstag, 7. Februar 2019, 08:58

The quadro can control 64 leds. when you connect more. the leds are not controlable.
If you connect more than 64 LEDs (multiple Strips with y- cables) then the maximum current capability of the hardware is exceeded.
You can damage your hardware if you connect the strips in a different way than the one described in the manual.

levifig

Dienstag, 12. Februar 2019, 20:52

The quadro can control 64 leds. when you connect more. the leds are not controlable.
If you connect more than 64 LEDs (multiple Strips with y- cables) then the maximum current capability of the hardware is exceeded.
You can damage your hardware if you connect the strips in a different way than the one described in the manual.
Why isn't there an official way to connect multiple Splitty4s to a single Quadro? For example: I have 3x Splitty4s, controlling 12 ML120 PRO RGB. They have 4 LEDs each, so 12x4 is exactly 48. This is under 64... I'm incredibly surprised how this wasn't supported from the beginning, honestly. :o

Mittwoch, 13. Februar 2019, 02:25

each one ML pro RGB fan contains 12 leds, so 4 fans = 48 leds, you cannot use 3 x splitty 4 as I was reading without a Quadro for each one, you need a Quadro for each Splitty 4

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »hossam.sy« (13. Februar 2019, 18:50)

Mittwoch, 13. Februar 2019, 07:15

You can connect as many devices as you want via USB. Only via aquabus can you connect only 2 to an aquaero.

Mittwoch, 13. Februar 2019, 18:48

And Aquasuite will still be able to manage and show 5 Quadros for example?

Mittwoch, 13. Februar 2019, 23:40

You can connect as many devices as you want via USB. Only via aquabus can you connect only 2 to an aquaero.

Since I have only one USB 2.0 motherboard header, I was told I will have communications issues if I chain two HUBBY7s to each other for more USB inputs.

Also, are there any new stock of HUBBY7s soon or at least in the states as they seem to be sold out everywhere and refuse to pay almost double for it from bottom of the earth scalpers.

levifig

Donnerstag, 14. Februar 2019, 05:28

each one ML pro RGB fan contains 12 leds, so 4 fans = 48 leds, you cannot use 3 x splitty 4 as I was reading without a Quadro for each one, you need a Quadro for each Splitty 4

Nope, they have 4 each. I have 3 of them, and I just tried them with a Quadro + Splitty4. On Aquasuite, I incremented the LED one by one, and when it showed 4 per fan, 12 total for my 3 fans. That means that I could totally plug my 12 fans to a single RGBpx port.

levifig

Donnerstag, 14. Februar 2019, 05:30

Since I have only one USB 2.0 motherboard header, I was told I will have communications issues if I chain two HUBBY7s to each other for more USB inputs.

Honestly, you'll be better off buying an NZXT internal USB 2.0 hub. They're about $20 and give you 3 internal headers (off of a single one) + 2 USB-A ports. They work great (I use them).

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »levifig« (14. Februar 2019, 05:44)

Freitag, 15. Februar 2019, 06:09

Yeah sorry thought you were talking about the new LL ones, ML120 PRO RGB has 4 leds as you mentioned, you might be able to connect those led in serial way to control all of them individually or someone might be able to help with that.

Freitag, 15. Februar 2019, 13:08

Honestly, you'll be better off buying an NZXT internal USB 2.0 hub. They're about $20 and give you 3 internal headers (off of a single one) + 2 USB-A ports. They work great (I use them).

The HUBBY7 is the same thing and better imo. I already own a NZXT hub but don't want to risk it since I've read they can go bad on your system or cause issues. Regardless, the HUBBY7 is the only USB internal hub I'd install in my complex system.

levifig

Sonntag, 19. Mai 2019, 22:48

can we just join 2 RGBPX cables from 2 splitty 4 to 1 Quadro?
Other theoretical options (i dont know if these actually work, but they should work in theory)

You could be able to chain two Splitty4. This allows you to connect more than 4 Fans to a Quadro.
for this you need to solder three cables to the correct pins on the back side of the first Splitty4 and connect these to the second Splitty4.

Using the initial concept from Hufeisen's post and a little bit of multimeter + soldering iron work, I managed to hook up 3x Splitty4s into a single QUADRO. Like I said in a previous post, each RGBpx "line" from a QUADRO supports up to 64 LEDs. I have 12x ML120s, which have 4 LEDs each, so I had plenty of room to work with.

Here's a video of the final result: https://youtu.be/6noq_M50LhA

If there's enough interest, I might write up a simple tutorial on how I did this. :)

EDIT: Photo of how the Splitty4s are connected:

EDIT2: yes, I need to redo those cables, to sleeve and cut them to the right length. This was a just an initial test to make sure everything worked. ;)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »levifig« (19. Mai 2019, 23:09)