• 16.04.2024, 19:12
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Swapped Motherboard - CPU Fans have gone nuts in an odd way.

Montag, 25. Mai 2020, 15:01

I've had the Aquacomputer 6 XT n place for years on my Gigabyte X399 motherboard. I upgraded to a Gigabyte TRX40 motherboard and something very odd started happening in my water cooled setup.

I have 3 leads leading to 11 case fans via daisy chain. Only one connector in each chain has an RPM (4th pin) to a fan. Not a hitch for years. I have a 3 pin wire to the motherboard CPU fan header from the Aquaero, and the motherboard set to PWM, and an EKWB DDC pump.

So the fans start going full tilt on the radiator lead, but the Aquaero sees it at half RPM, and I start checking for issues. I touch the wiring to inspect the connectors and all of a sudden the fans slow down, Move the wiring again, and a different lead starts speeding up, so I am thinking faulty connection. I break down each connection right up to the AQuaero itself, but I can't pinpoint any loose or faulty connections. I detach one lead, then another, one fan then another, and I can't isolate anything faulty. Depending on where I let the wiring sit I'll see normal speeds on the fans, sometimes it'll go full tilt and report half speed, other times it'll report 0 RPM but be full tilt.

So I nudge the cables into a "happy spot" and my system is running fine. UGH.

Ever seen this odd behavior?

Another odd thing.

Dienstag, 26. Mai 2020, 14:40

Aquaero, Temperature Sensors, CPU, VRM, SYSTEM1, CHIPSET, PCIE, GPU1, GPU2, Software Sensor 8 = 50c fixed. They don't move.
»Undermoose« hat folgende Datei angehängt:
  • aquaero-stuck.jpg (171,27 kB - 217 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 6. April 2024, 05:13)

New motherboard, old OS.

Dienstag, 26. Mai 2020, 15:29

When I swapped motherboards I didn't install my OS clean.

Maybe Aquasuite doesn't like this very much...

Dienstag, 26. Mai 2020, 15:42

Turn off your computer and wait a few secons after the aquasuite update.
ensure youre have all drivers (amd chipset) installed.

Steps so far.

Dienstag, 26. Mai 2020, 16:37

I've rebooted my computer many times. I've also shut it down and disconnected it from power.

I've uninstalled Aquasuite and reinstalled (deleting everything).

Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme TRX40 motherboard.

The software temperature sensors are still 50c stuck, but I gather I set these up for the old motherboard a long time ago and they just need to be reset. It's been a while, close to 900 days up time.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 6 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Undermoose« (26. Mai 2020, 18:11)

Ground issue?

Dienstag, 26. Mai 2020, 17:25

Regarding the wiring fault (very reproducible).

Grounding issue?

Since I am seeing it on two separate leads clearly (radiator fans x 4, and side case fans x4), I don't know what to think. The 3rd lead is probably affected too (front fan x2, rear fan x1), but don't recall seeing it. To be clear, I've disconnected one lead, and then the other, and seeing this effect.

Aquaero needs RMA? I highly doubt that since it was running perfectly on the old motherboard.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Undermoose« (26. Mai 2020, 18:12)

Dienstag, 26. Mai 2020, 19:22

compare the screenshot!
dou you see the auqa computer hardware monitoring data? When not the problem is a windows problem.

I don't think we're on the same page.

Dienstag, 26. Mai 2020, 23:26

Hi,

I'm not sure we are on the same page.

I think you're discussing the sensors, but I'm mostly concerned about the wiring fault.

Do you think the two are related?

Sensor Pics

Mittwoch, 27. Mai 2020, 01:16

So I found something interesting regarding the sensors.

The attachments in this reply:

Pic1 shows software sensor for CPU which I changed the data source.
Pic2 shows drilling down the Aqua Computer Hardware monitor to the Gigabyte motherboard's ITE IT8688E and seeing just 5 Temperature options.
Pic3 shows Data Quick view drilling down to Aqua Computer Hardware monitor, again the motherboard's ITE IT8688E, but now seeing a big list.

Why do they show a different list to select from?
»Undermoose« hat folgende Dateien angehängt:

RE: Sensor Pics

Mittwoch, 27. Mai 2020, 13:45

Pic2 shows drilling down the Aqua Computer Hardware monitor to the Gigabyte motherboard's ITE IT8688E and seeing just 5 Temperature options.
Pic3 shows Data Quick view drilling down to Aqua Computer Hardware monitor, again the motherboard's ITE IT8688E, but now seeing a big list.

Pic3, the 'big list', shows only 5 temperature sensors, the additional items are RPM & Volt.
Pic2, for virtual TEMPERATURE selection, displays ONLY the temperature subset (5 items) from the 'big list'

RE: RE: Sensor Pics

Mittwoch, 27. Mai 2020, 17:21

Pic3, the 'big list', shows only 5 temperature sensors, the additional items are RPM & Volt.
Pic2, for virtual TEMPERATURE selection, displays ONLY the temperature subset (5 items) from the 'big list'
That makes sense, it's been a long time. I do wish the temps were properly labelled. I have to figure out which is which? So setting the VPU, VRM, SYSTEM1, CHIPSET, PCIE is all done manually I take it. It's been a very long time since I fiddled with setting up a new motherboard :D

OK Sensors aside (I seem to recall I never used them) Back to the original issue.

Mittwoch, 27. Mai 2020, 17:35

Original post:
I have 3 leads leading to 11 case fans via daisy chain. Only one connector in each chain has an RPM (4th pin) to a fan. Not a hitch for years. I have a 3 pin wire to the motherboard CPU fan header from the Aquaero, and the motherboard set to PWM, and an EKWB DDC pump.

So the fans start going full tilt on the radiator lead, but the Aquaero sees it at half RPM, and I start checking for issues. I touch the wiring to inspect the connectors and all of a sudden the fans slow down, Move the wiring again, and a different lead starts speeding up, so I am thinking faulty connection. I break down each connection right up to the AQuaero itself, but I can't pinpoint any loose or faulty connections. I detach one lead, then another, one fan then another, and I can't isolate anything faulty. Depending on where I let the wiring sit I'll see normal speeds on the fans, sometimes it'll go full tilt and report half speed, other times it'll report 0 RPM but be full tilt. This is affecting multiple leads from the Aquaero.

So I nudge the cables into a "happy spot" and my system is running fine. UGH. Ever seen this odd behavior?

RE: OK Sensors aside (I seem to recall I never used them) Back to the original issue.

Mittwoch, 27. Mai 2020, 23:18

Original post:

So the fans start going full tilt on the radiator lead, but the Aquaero sees it at half RPM, and I start checking for issues. I touch the wiring to inspect the connectors and all of a sudden the fans slow down, Move the wiring again, and a different lead starts speeding up, so I am thinking faulty connection. I break down each connection right up to the AQuaero itself, but I can't pinpoint any loose or faulty connections. I detach one lead, then another, one fan then another, and I can't isolate anything faulty. Depending on where I let the wiring sit I'll see normal speeds on the fans, sometimes it'll go full tilt and report half speed, other times it'll report 0 RPM but be full tilt. This is affecting multiple leads from the Aquaero.

So I nudge the cables into a "happy spot" and my system is running fine. UGH. Ever seen this odd behavior?

My interpretation of these facts would indicate a wiring/connector issue... at least that is what I would look at.

RE: RE: OK Sensors aside (I seem to recall I never used them) Back to the original issue.

Donnerstag, 28. Mai 2020, 00:19

Original post:

My interpretation of these facts would indicate a wiring/connector issue... at least that is what I would look at.
Thank you for the reply. That's exactly what I was thinking, but I've disconnected everything, leaving only 1 lead at a time connected and can reproduce the issue. Everything was running fine until I swapped motherboards, so the only new connection is the Aquaero to the MB CPU Fan header (3pin). This is only new because it's a new MB, the wire was in place on the old MB.

RE: RE: RE: OK Sensors aside (I seem to recall I never used them) Back to the original issue.

Donnerstag, 28. Mai 2020, 06:11

Original post:

Thank you for the reply. That's exactly what I was thinking, but I've disconnected everything, leaving only 1 lead at a time connected and can reproduce the issue. Everything was running fine until I swapped motherboards, so the only new connection is the Aquaero to the MB CPU Fan header (3pin). This is only new because it's a new MB, the wire was in place on the old MB.

If the 3-pin cable to the motherboard CPU fan header is from the aquaero RPM port, that is a one way communication... probably only the RPM reporting pin is carrying a signal. I do not see that causing your fans to ramp up & down.

Where are you 'jiggling' the cable?
You swapped motherboards, but that may be coincidental to the issue... the physical process may have damaged something else.
If you can jiggle the cable, and make it go good and bad, you most likely have a physical connection issue.

RE: RE: RE: RE: OK Sensors aside (I seem to recall I never used them) Back to the original issue.

Donnerstag, 28. Mai 2020, 07:27

Original post:

If the 3-pin cable to the motherboard CPU fan header is from the aquaero RPM port, that is a one way communication... probably only the RPM reporting pin is carrying a signal. I do not see that causing your fans to ramp up & down.

You swapped motherboards, but that may be coincidental to the issue... the physical process may have damaged something else.
If you can jiggle the cable, and make it go good and bad, you most likely have a physical connection issue.
I agree the motherboard swap could be coincidental. It just so happens I had to touch the leads to rearrange the motherboard connections.
The fan leads are all back side of the case. There are 3 leads chaining 11 fans.
I am not jiggling cables, more like gently moving where they hang / secured. Moving one lead can affect another, hence why I disconnected them one at a time, but could not find a source bad connection. I traced them back to the Aquaero.
The daisy chain of cables were all purchased same time, and it's not expensive to replace them, so I suppose that's next step in the chance they have some sort of environmental issue causing electrical instability.

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: OK Sensors aside (I seem to recall I never used them) Back to the original issue.

Donnerstag, 28. Mai 2020, 09:59

Original post:

I agree the motherboard swap could be coincidental. It just so happens I had to touch the leads to rearrange the motherboard connections.
The fan leads are all back side of the case. There are 3 leads chaining 11 fans.
I am not jiggling cables, more like gently moving where they hang / secured. Moving one lead can affect another, hence why I disconnected them one at a time, but could not find a source bad connection. I traced them back to the Aquaero.
The daisy chain of cables were all purchased same time, and it's not expensive to replace them, so I suppose that's next step in the chance they have some sort of environmental issue causing electrical instability.

Rather than buy a load more cable splitters why not buy some splitty9's? That's what I did for each bank of rad fans, that way it's a lot less mess and maybe more reliable than the splitter cables.
"no shit lady, does it sound like i'm ordering pizza?"

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: OK Sensors aside (I seem to recall I never used them) Back to the original issue.

Donnerstag, 28. Mai 2020, 16:52

Original post:

Rather than buy a load more cable splitters why not buy some splitty9's? That's what I did for each bank of rad fans, that way it's a lot less mess and maybe more reliable than the splitter cables.
I'll investigate that. I already own one, but have 3 fan leads and the wiring solution worked well for 2.5 years. Maybe not so well now ;) I'll check out Aquacomputer's offerings.

3 Splitty4's ordered from PerformancePCS!

Donnerstag, 28. Mai 2020, 20:31

I think the Splitty4 solution will work great and they are ordered.

Good suggestion!

:D