• 16.04.2024, 05:49
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

VISION LCD screen burn-in/ dimming

Donnerstag, 28. Mai 2020, 00:46

Has anyone experienced any burn-in or localized dimming of the pixels in their VISION LCD screen?

I never noticed it because I always had the temperature displaying on the LCD screen as I have a dedicated flow meter and no other sensors associated with VISION.

See the images below to see what I am talking about.

Should I replace the screen? Warranty?

Thanks
»cesarnono13« hat folgende Dateien angehängt:
  • Vision 1.jpg (790,39 kB - 178 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 14. April 2024, 14:59)
  • Vision 2.jpg (591,28 kB - 139 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 11. April 2024, 10:02)
  • Vision 3.jpg (726,87 kB - 138 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 22. März 2024, 03:16)
  • Vision 4.jpg (674,48 kB - 140 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 31. März 2024, 20:12)

Donnerstag, 28. Mai 2020, 01:08

From those photos, it looks like fairly typical image persistence. Just about all LCDs are susceptible to this, but unlike actual burn-in as with CRTs, this is rarely permanent.

Try having the display off for about 48hrs, as the crystals may revert to their natural state.

Donnerstag, 28. Mai 2020, 01:46

Darn. My system had already been completely off about 4 days due to me doing yearly maintenance and waiting for parts. I'll try leaving it off, but if 4 days didn't do anything for it, I doubt it will be much help.

Thank you for the reply/tip!
From those photos, it looks like fairly typical image persistence. Just about all LCDs are susceptible to this, but unlike actual burn-in as with CRTs, this is rarely permanent.

Try having the display off for about 48hrs, as the crystals may revert to their natural state.

Donnerstag, 28. Mai 2020, 01:57

They are OLED screens, which are more susceptible to permanent image retention than standard LEDs. I would have hoped they'd be more resilient than this on such a tiny screen that's designed to display stats all day, but oh well. I suppose it's to be expected if you only have ONE screen active; I just hope that they last a good while when you have plenty of other screens active.

Things that (I presume) help avoid burn-in:

1) Lower brightness.
2) Black background (non-inverted).
3) More screens.
4) Faster transitions.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Undesirable« (28. Mai 2020, 02:04)

Donnerstag, 28. Mai 2020, 10:33

You could also try running the screen with multiple displays, set to the fastest possible transition. That may help jog the pixels back into line.

If it comes to it, replacement screens are available for about £30, too - https://shop.aquacomputer.de/index.php?cPath=62_4022

Freitag, 29. Mai 2020, 03:05

Thank you, I'll try these out in the future. I agree, i hoped the screen would be more resilient. I can imagine that there might be several people in my position where they want just 1 statistic to be displayed on the screen and nothing else. I'll try your suggestions in the future.
They are OLED screens, which are more susceptible to permanent image retention than standard LEDs. I would have hoped they'd be more resilient than this on such a tiny screen that's designed to display stats all day, but oh well. I suppose it's to be expected if you only have ONE screen active; I just hope that they last a good while when you have plenty of other screens active.

Things that (I presume) help avoid burn-in:

1) Lower brightness.
2) Black background (non-inverted).
3) More screens.
4) Faster transitions.

Freitag, 29. Mai 2020, 03:08

Just set it up as you suggested. Ill give it a few days, but I don't have much hope for it. I think I'll have to end up replacing the screen, which is a bummer. Seems like you should get at least a year out of a CPU block without having to replace a major component.
You could also try running the screen with multiple displays, set to the fastest possible transition. That may help jog the pixels back into line.

If it comes to it, replacement screens are available for about £30, too - https://shop.aquacomputer.de/index.php?cPath=62_4022

Freitag, 29. Mai 2020, 13:38

Just set it up as you suggested. Ill give it a few days, but I don't have much hope for it. I think I'll have to end up replacing the screen, which is a bummer. Seems like you should get at least a year out of a CPU block without having to replace a major component.

While I agree in principle, I expect the screens themselves were not designed for single image display. You see this a lot on OLED televisions in shops, where the static adverts start to burn in.

I also know that even my phone OLED would suffer at least long-term image retention, if not permanent burn-in, if I only ever displayed the one static image. As is, I get it slightly after just a few hours of using the Kindle app and it takes a few minutes before that starts to fade away. I can only presume it's a limitation of the screen technology, rather than anything specific to AC.

I'll be buying one myself soon anyway, so we'll see....

Sonntag, 3. Januar 2021, 01:56

I have a VISION LCD on my GPU block, set to low brightness with 10 sec rotation between 3 different data screens and it has burned in badly.

Oddly the "desktop" version of the VISION screen doesn't have this problem.

Are these under warranty? I'm rather disappointed.