• 16.04.2024, 08:54
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

D5 next failed

Donnerstag, 4. Juni 2020, 05:00

I have a D5 next pump, purchased in March 2019, which just failed last night. I was asleep and the computer was on; the machine shut down but not before the heat was sufficient to soften the hard tubing in my system so that it drooped from gravity. I'm lucky that the coolant did not leak onto the components of the machine.

But my concern here is the pump. It was not spinning at all, and when I briefly powered up the machine today it the low pump RPM alarm did sound. The current graph showed spikes of 1A as the pump tried to start, but it wouldn't move any fluid. I have disassembled everything it and the impeller seems to sit too low, as if the place where it contacts the fixed stem in the base has eroded. When it rotates, the impeller grinds against the pump body. It was extremely difficult to remove the impeller from the base as if the bearing had become stuck up in the impeller.

I'm not sure what I should do at this point. If I need to wait for shipping back and forth from Germany then I might just be better off buying another D5 Next from a US source but of course I don't need the whole thing, just the pump itself and maybe just the impeller.

I can't explain why the pump failed as I thought D5 pumps were supposed to be quite durable. The machine has been running mostly continuously for about eight months and the coolant level was always fine. I'm just running Primochill True in the recommended mix ratio, not any of the fancy fluids that contain particulates. Everything appears to be clean.

Suggestions are welcome. I just want to get up and running again.

Donnerstag, 4. Juni 2020, 11:38

I'm in a bit of a hurry but for future reference, use a water temp probe and setup alarms to shutdown the PC like I have if the water temp exceeds a certain amount so it doesn't compromise the tubing and boy are you lucky that it didn't leak. Must've had them on there tight.

I think the average max water temp on these tubings is somewhere around 60-65c before they become compromised iirc.

RE: D5 next failed

Donnerstag, 4. Juni 2020, 13:36

I have a D5 next pump, purchased in March 2019, which just failed last night. I was asleep and the computer was on; the machine shut down but not before the heat was sufficient to soften the hard tubing in my system so that it drooped from gravity. I'm lucky that the coolant did not leak onto the components of the machine.

But my concern here is the pump. It was not spinning at all, and when I briefly powered up the machine today it the low pump RPM alarm did sound. The current graph showed spikes of 1A as the pump tried to start, but it wouldn't move any fluid. I have disassembled everything it and the impeller seems to sit too low, as if the place where it contacts the fixed stem in the base has eroded. When it rotates, the impeller grinds against the pump body. It was extremely difficult to remove the impeller from the base as if the bearing had become stuck up in the impeller.

I'm not sure what I should do at this point. If I need to wait for shipping back and forth from Germany then I might just be better off buying another D5 Next from a US source but of course I don't need the whole thing, just the pump itself and maybe just the impeller.

I can't explain why the pump failed as I thought D5 pumps were supposed to be quite durable. The machine has been running mostly continuously for about eight months and the coolant level was always fine. I'm just running Primochill True in the recommended mix ratio, not any of the fancy fluids that contain particulates. Everything appears to be clean.

Suggestions are welcome. I just want to get up and running again.

support@aqua-computer.de

Freitag, 5. Juni 2020, 13:12

If the rotor is too low the pump has run without fluid and the bearing has become so hot that it has been melted a little bit inside the plastic of the rotor. This can not be repaired as spare parts of the rotor are not available.
So the pump will try to start up and detects a too high current and stops. After a few seconds it will try again and again.

You can contact our support - maybe they have spare from another pump with a different error. Anyway you should check why there was air inside the bearing area. Maybe the pump was mounted in a wrong position and there was a air bubble. This can happen in Koolane Bay reservoirs for example.

Have a look at the manual for allowed mounting directions.