• 20.04.2024, 00:20
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Aquaero might have saved my computer today

Sonntag, 21. Juni 2020, 05:26

I was surfing the web and a dialog box that I had never seen before suddenly appeared:
"Water leak detected. Shutting down machine in 5 seconds."

I actually thought maybe the machine had a virus at first. I run water cooling, so that part checked out. The thing is, I don't have any level sensors or pressure sensors in the system, so there's no way to detect a leak until a gallon of coolant has been dumped and the pump runs dry.

Or so I thought.

The controller somehow caught this before the first drop had fallen. I'm stunned that the controller was able to detect the ever so slight change in pump load associated with this very tiny leak. That might have saved the motherboard.

This loop has only a basic Alphacool VPP655 PWM pump (connected to a Quadro which itself is connected to an Aquaero 6 via Aquabus) and a Cuplex Kryos Next with Vision. Shoggy - was this leak detected by monitoring the pump, or is there a pressure sensor in the Cuplex that I didn't know about?

phuzz

Montag, 22. Juni 2020, 18:01

Looks like that was dripping right above your RAM, fingers crossed it's all ok!

Dienstag, 23. Juni 2020, 17:45

Looks like that was dripping right above your RAM, fingers crossed it's all ok!
Everything survived with no damage - not even data loss from the sudden shutdown. The machine executed a safe shutdown, the bad cooling loop was removed from the system, and then I used the quick disconnects to reroute the CPU block to one of my GPU loops. The machine was back up and running in under 5 minutes.

The whole experience was surreal. I'm very very impressed.

Dienstag, 23. Juni 2020, 21:43

The Kryos has a connector for a flow sensor and the facility to monitor this data in Aquasuite, which can alternatively be used as alarm output... But you'd need to actually connect one up, which I believe involves popping off the VISION screen and threading the cable up through the hole to the PCB.

Donnerstag, 25. Juni 2020, 14:16

Looks interesting, how did aquaero + quadro + cuplex detected a leak, having no fill level or pressure sensors installed?

E.g. my Maximus 9 Apex has condensation detection, which forces board to triple start, if she thinks ambient temperature is too cold (<19C in my case). It may be your ROG high end motherboard having such leak-detection mechanism.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »k2viper« (25. Juni 2020, 20:01)

Samstag, 25. Juli 2020, 20:36

Ah, yes, that makes much more sense. I had no idea my motherboard had such a feature. The dialog box that popped up didn't identify where it was originated.

Either way, it was a good save AND it got me to buy more Aquacomputer stuff (new Ultitube + D5 Next to replace the cracked Alphacool unit).