• 16.04.2024, 22:29
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Aquasuite Resource Usage Question

Donnerstag, 19. November 2020, 22:08

I have been running benchmarks and have noticed something and wanted to understand it a little more. I asked about this in a Reddit thread and it was suggested that I ask about this here.

When the system is at idle, nothing else running but the normal background processes, the GPU is usually at 0%, because it's not really being used. When I turn on the Aquasuite monitoring software desktop overlay, the GPU starts frequent spikes, jumping from 0% up to as much as 50% then back, every 1-5 seconds.

I assume it's doing this while gaming as well, which has got to affect my GPU output. I'll run a few tests with Aquasuite on the second monitor or not:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Results:

The Aquasuite background process, without the graphical overlay does not run the GPU, only the desktop overlay

TimeSpy 64bit Benchmark
-----------------------Overlay On--------- Overlay Off
Overall Score--------8543 ----------------9700
GPU Score-----------8222-----------------9443
Graphics 1 (FPS)---52.52--------------- 61.07
Graphics 2 (FPS)-- 48.00----------------54.52
CPU Score--------- 10973----------------11471
CPU Test (FPS)----36.87-----------------38.54

I took a hit. An overall score loss of 1157 seems significant.

Any reason why Aquasuite hits the GPU so hard and frequently?

*** Some of my initial issues I commented on in Reddit had to do with a badly overclocked memory; however, after fixing and properly overclocking I get similar disparities.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »snypehunter« (19. November 2020, 22:20)

Freitag, 20. November 2020, 09:27

Your graphics card must render everything that appears on your screen, including the Aquasuite overlay.
The effect of the overlay on the GPU depends on the selected overlay and the resolution of the monitor it is on.
If you have a lot of graphics in the overlay and they move fast, the GPU load is high, if there are only boxes with numbers it is lower.
To the displayed load of the card there is also a question, at which GPU clock you have this load in idle?

To the benchmark results, benchmarks are there to measure the performance of hardware, typically on a naked system, any running software distorts the benchmark.

If you notice during normal use of your system that the overlay has a noticeable negative impact on your work or gaming experience, I would turn it off, if your concern was only about benchmark values I would ignore it.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Es gibt keinen Ausweg, den ein Mensch nicht beschreitet, um die tatsächliche Arbeit des Denkens zu vermeiden.
Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931), amerik. Erfinder

Good info

Freitag, 20. November 2020, 19:04

That's all really good to know. The overlay I built is quite beautiful and animated. I'll build a very simple one and see how that works.
I'm not a computer drag racer. I use benchmarks based on my system running in standard run states. The final number is not really the target, but the disparity between numbers when making changes is. So, if I change out a part, the benchmark disparity will give me an idea about what happened. It's not definitive, but is a good first step in evaluating shifts in performance. In this case, the benchmark disparity between running and not running the suite showed me where I was losing FPS.
But you are right. If it was all about benchmarks, I'd be running a virgin OS.
Your description helps me a lot; somehow, I had thought, over the years, that they moved the desktop animations from the GPU to the CPU graphics processor (the 0%GPU states is what confused me there, it was probably a 0.5% GPU state rounding down). I can now design a low resource overlay with just the simple number I like to watch.
Thank you for the support. Keeps me a happy customer (now, if you could just burp out more Farbwerks faster!!! ,lol>)

Aquero

Freitag, 20. November 2020, 19:55

I was wondering if the Aquero would absorb this, process the overlay data instead of the GPU? I know it's a significantly more powerful tool than an Octo, and it has display capabilities of its own. I assume it'd not use resources to display to itself, but does it have a graphical output or the ability to output its readings to an external display, like an Android tablet or it's own 127mm display? Maybe I'm asking too much, but dreamers feed scientists which make toys for dreamers... :P