• 23.04.2024, 16:35
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Component Planning: Two external D5s with a Mo-Ra3 - Suggestions on best way to supply power?

Samstag, 2. Januar 2021, 10:07

Hey all.

I'm taking the plunge into external water cooling. Looking to setup a MoRa and two d5 Next pumps (+ a high flow 2 senor when in stock).

I'm trying to limit the amount of cables running from my PC. Ideally, I'd only like to run one single USB down to the Mo-Ra cooling 'unit' in order to look at data and start/stop pumps at startup/shutdown. The real question is... how do I power the two pumps separate from my PC? I've seen some people straight up using a separate PSU but hoping for a slightly more elegant (compact) solution.

I should be able to power the fans off the two pumps but would I really benefit from including an Octo or something like that?

Any tips/links on the setup would be appreciated! :)

Samstag, 2. Januar 2021, 15:18

That's pretty much what I am building atm, a Mo-Ra3 420 to run independantly.
There will be two hoses (in/out) and two cables (USB & 4-pin Molex 5v/12v), running between the radiator package and the computer.

I designed a mounting plate to which I will mount the reservoir, the dual pump top w/pumps, analog & digital flow meter/sensor, temp sensor and a junction box, which will house an OCTO, HUBBY7 and maybe a farbwerk 360.

I modified the junction box to mount a Molex 4-pin panel mount connector and a USB female B connector.The 4-pin Molex power connector is reversed from what would be optimum, so the terminal end will either need to be reterminated to female, or use a gender swap.

I also added a Molex 4-pin panel mount connector to the back of the computer, connected to the PSU.

To connect the coolant hoses, use you favorite quick disconnects.
To connect the 4-pin Molex power connectors, use any extension cable, and either reterminate the female end so both are male, or use the gender-changer mentioned above.
Use a standard USB 2.0 Male A to Male B cable, of the proper length, to connect the USB port to one of the computer USB ports on the back plate.

Snapshots of the connectors mounted to the j-box lid: outside.jpg inside.jpg

Sonntag, 3. Januar 2021, 03:21

There will be two hoses (in/out) and two cables (USB & 4-pin Molex 5v/12v), running between the radiator package and the computer.

I designed a mounting plate to which I will mount the reservoir, the dual pump top w/pumps, analog & digital flow meter/sensor, temp sensor and a junction box, which will house an OCTO, HUBBY7 and maybe a farbwerk 360.

I modified the junction box to mount a Molex 4-pin panel mount connector and a USB female B connector.The 4-pin Molex power connector is reversed from what would be optimum, so the terminal end will either need to be reterminated to female, or use a gender swap.

I also added a Molex 4-pin panel mount connector to the back of the computer, connected to the PSU.

To connect the 4-pin Molex power connectors, use any extension cable, and either reterminate the female end so both are male, or use the gender-changer mentioned above.
Use a standard USB 2.0 Male A to Male B cable, of the proper length, to connect the USB port to one of the computer USB ports on the back plate.
This is way over the top.... and I love it. Basically same idea but your execution has10x more polish haha. You've put in some thought to this.

I'm hoping my setup won't be as complex. The d5 should be able to power the four 200mm noctuas. The d5's temp sensor should also be sufficient as well.

I'm totally fine to have the USB cable routed from my computer alongside the water umbilical, but I'm trying to have the unit power itself apart from the PC. My desktop is on a sit/stand desk and the MoRa will need to be on the ground (approx. 6 feet away). There are two challenges with this: how to power and how to control on/off status.

How to power may be answered by one of these power supplies. I would love a little bit more power, but that might fit the bill. Also eyeing a pico PSU like this as another alternative.

The controlling of that power gets a bit more tricky. Some individuals on reddit/discord point to "being able to turn off the d5 Next on shutdown" which is great.... but I think they just mean spin the pump down to 0% power - the screen/leds/other devices will stay powered up. Haven't determined if that's okay yet or not long term. If it is possible to completely turn off the unit, I haven't found that in the documentation (I should get the actual pump sometime this week and be able to answer that question for myself).

Sonntag, 3. Januar 2021, 14:01

For sheer simplicity run a 4-pin Molex extension (up to 1,8 meters) from inside the case (sneak it out a penetration at the bottom) and clip something like THIS to the radiator end. Everything starts & stops when the system starts and stops.

Samstag, 2. April 2022, 05:55

Snapshots of the connectors mounted to the j-box lid: [attach]7962[/attach] [attach]7963[/attach]

Any chance you've got a finalized image or post of how all this came together? Would love to see the mounting plate thing and how that all works.

Also, what's your head pressure like? I'd really like to get a leakshield into my loop if possible, but I'd like to do two D5's with the Mora mount. Leakshield says max of 470 mbar and the d5 next's alone are 370. Curious what a 2-pump system in series does.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 4 mal editiert, zuletzt von »begna112« (2. April 2022, 09:53)

Samstag, 2. April 2022, 14:35

Camera is down atm, will post some pics soon.

Do not have a leakShield or mps pressure sensor installed, and do not know what pressures the system is running at.
Everything I have read indicates two D5's will probably overpower the LeakShield.

Samstag, 2. April 2022, 22:21

Camera is down atm, will post some pics soon.

Do not have a leakShield or mps pressure sensor installed, and do not know what pressures the system is running at.
Everything I have read indicates two D5's will probably overpower the LeakShield.
That King Instruments glass tube flow meter is very interesting. Can you explain how this device operates and how you plan to integrate it, and why?

Dienstag, 5. April 2022, 18:32

I went with a Blue-White flow meter. I liked the aesthetics better.

Mittwoch, 6. April 2022, 04:27

I went with a Blue-White flow meter. I liked the aesthetics better.
  • Front ([attach]9363[/attach])
  • Back([attach]9364[/attach])
  • Side ([attach]9365[/attach])
  • Side zoom ([attach]9366[/attach])
What's the black thing sticking out above the flow meter tube? And did you make the surrounding metal bracket thing yourself?

Mittwoch, 6. April 2022, 05:18

What's the black thing sticking out above the flow meter tube? And did you make the surrounding metal bracket thing yourself?

The black thing above the flow meter is a modified display case led light to light the flow meter.
It runs on 12v, so I put a fan connector on it and I use an input so I can take the fan controller from 1 (default) to 0 (off).
At 1 the octo fan controller puts out 12, volts and at 0 it does not.

I designed the mounting plate and contracted a machine shop to build it (Mounting_Plate_v6d-mm_Redacted.pdf)

Edit: THIS is a short video I made, but lighting is poor.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »InfoSeeker« (6. April 2022, 05:37)

Mittwoch, 6. April 2022, 15:58

The black thing above the flow meter is a modified display case led light to light the flow meter.
It runs on 12v, so I put a fan connector on it and I use an input so I can take the fan controller from 1 (default) to 0 (off).
At 1 the octo fan controller puts out 12, volts and at 0 it does not.

I designed the mounting plate and contracted a machine shop to build it ([attach]9367[/attach])

Edit: THIS is a short video I made, but lighting is poor.
This thing is really cool! Kudos on the engineering and assembly. When I looked at the "black thing" it reminded me of a pull cord on a lawn mower. :thumbup: