• 16.04.2024, 12:38
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Updating OCTO firmware now requires me to disconnect all devices?

Samstag, 16. Januar 2021, 01:49

Is this a joke? This is going to be a huge pain in the ass every time I need to update the firmware if I need to go in and remove everything connected to the OCTO, then rewire everything so that the removed items have power and I can boot into Windows to update the OCTO firmware, only to then have to swap everything back!

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Psychor« (16. Januar 2021, 01:56)

PA3Q

Montag, 18. Januar 2021, 09:02

Is there any confirmation of this?
IT will be unbearable to disconnect everything when updating.
If this is the case, I will have to stay on one software version for a very long time, or change fan controller.

Montag, 18. Januar 2021, 09:17

X35 contains a new firmware update that requires fans/pumps to be disconnected on Quadro/Octo, future updates may not require the same. I have asked in the Aquasuite thread that in future we can have a heads up if this is the case as it wasn't apparent until after the install and the firmware needed to be updated. That way if you don't have any issues with the version of Aquasuite your running you can decide if you want the update or not.

EDIT: This is the first time I have ever had to unplug anything and I have been using Aquasuite long before X versions.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Bartdude« (18. Januar 2021, 09:19)

"no shit lady, does it sound like i'm ordering pizza?"

Montag, 18. Januar 2021, 12:21

I have not tried THIS procedure, and don't know if it works for all systems, but I will try it if push comes to shove.

wpuser

Montag, 18. Januar 2021, 13:54

Is there any confirmation of this?
IT will be unbearable to disconnect everything when updating.
If this is the case, I will have to stay on one software version for a very long time, or change fan controller.

Yes, it is confirmed by Aqua Computer (in German)
Das wird bei jedem Firmware Update für OCTO und QUADRO der fall sein.

Montag, 18. Januar 2021, 14:17

After the bad user repsonse we will withdraw the obligation to remove the fans in future updates, but we will recommend it at any problem due the update and show an according message before flashing the device.

Montag, 18. Januar 2021, 15:28

After the bad user repsonse we will withdraw the obligation to remove the fans in future updates, but we will recommend it at any problem due the update and show an according message before flashing the device.

Why was this feature added in the first place? Who would want to disconnect everything for a firmware update? What was the point of this?

Montag, 18. Januar 2021, 15:45

It would be extremely powerful if we (consumers) were given an overview as to why fans/pumps should be PHYSICALLY disconnected from OCTOs/QUADROs on firmware update.

Montag, 18. Januar 2021, 18:31

We already worte it at the forum: We had some customers with problems at the firmware update of OCTO and QUADRO. If the power draw of RGB fans is high due the firwmare update there can be issues at the 5V power line. Some users also have bad Molex connectors at the PSU or damaged contacts due sleeving.
If only the device itself needs to be powered we expect no problems at the power supply of the unit. That's why we decided to remove the fans. The next update will be possible without again. :)

Montag, 18. Januar 2021, 18:50

Thank you for that information, it helps tremendously going forward.

If one has a full spiltty4 (or more) with 64 or so aRGBs, would it reduce the possibility of a 5V problem if they were turned off prior to an aquasuite/firmware update?

Dienstag, 19. Januar 2021, 00:40

We already worte it at the forum: We had some customers with problems at the firmware update of OCTO and QUADRO. If the power draw of RGB fans is high due the firwmare update there can be issues at the 5V power line. Some users also have bad Molex connectors at the PSU or damaged contacts due sleeving.
If only the device itself needs to be powered we expect no problems at the power supply of the unit. That's why we decided to remove the fans. The next update will be possible without again. :)

THANK... YOU... Stephan!

So what do we do now if we have a version asking to be updated by disconnecting everything? Do we just wait for the next release? I really don't want to take my entire system apart to get to the OCTO.

Dienstag, 19. Januar 2021, 10:06

According to stephan's point, a 5V power supply stability is mandatory while updating firmware.

Fans are not being powered from 5V line, but RGBpx leds are being fed from 5V. Though, it may be enough to disconnect or "soft turn off" leds prior to updating firmware. But afair, while updating e.g. farbwerk360's firmware, it is turning off leds itself, not forcing user to manually disconnect anything.

What's the point to disconnect fans, that are drawing nothing from 5V power line?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »k2viper« (19. Januar 2021, 10:08)