• 16.04.2024, 21:13
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

girion

Aquaero 6 LT USB vs Aquabus

Sonntag, 21. Februar 2021, 14:09

I have 2 Aquaero6LT connected to a HUBBY7 (The Octo didn't exist when I got the system).

As I understand you have to choose: Either Aquabus or USB, they must not be used at the same time on a device.

I'm planning to extend the system with a flow meter and an extra pump. If I get the upgrades from NEXT line I will reach the limit of the HUBBY7: A farbwerk 360 won't fit in the system without an extra usb hub.

What's the pros & cons of using the USB connectors over the Aquabus?

Is the Aquabus able to supply power as well as signal, in that case how great is the power delivery (W) through the Aquabus interface? i.e. can I put 'cable management' and/ or 'extendable' up on the pros list for the Aquabus?

So far this is what I have managed to find:

Pros USB
  • The Aquaeros work fine using just USB.
  • Easy to maintain and update.
Cons USB
  • You get all devices listed separately in Aquasuite. (may be a pro for some)
  • The devices can't share data between each other without going through the Aquasuite SW.
Pros Aquabus
  • All devices on the bus shares data, i.e. the 6 LT master can use sensors and control devices on the slave.
  • Connecting devices to an Aquaero through the bus lets the SW in the Aquaero use the device, it thereby becomes independent from the system to which it is connected. No drivers needed and less hassle for many use cases.
Cons Aquabus
  • Requires a splitter cable, X4 or HUBBY9 if you want to use more than one device connected to one Aquaero 6.
  • Significantly harder to upgrade an Aquaero 6 after you set in in slave mode (see here).
  • An Aquaero in slave mode becomes just an expensive Splitty4.
  • May result in a reduced experience after an upgrade as the slave will be put in an error state, rather than properly communicate with an upgraded master.

Edit: updated in response to InfoSeeker.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »girion« (21. Februar 2021, 17:46)

RE: Aquaero 6 LT USB vs Aquabus

Sonntag, 21. Februar 2021, 16:20

I have 2 Aquaero6LT connected to a HUBBY7 (The Octo didn't exist when I got the system).

Zitat

As I understand you have to choose: Either Aquabus or USB, they must not be used at the same time on a device.
Absolutely FALSE! Both may be used simultaneously.

There are some instances where.some functionality is lost by using an aquabus connection, but that is only because the aquabus slaves certain functions to the aquaero.
i.e. using aquabus on a QUADRO or OCTO slaves the fan ports to the aquaero, which has 4 controllers available, meaning you loose the 4/8 controllers on the QUADRO/OCTO.

Zitat

I'm planning to extend the system with a flow meter and an extra pump. If I get the upgrades from NEXT line I will reach the limit of the HUBBY7: A farbwerk 360 won't fit in the system without an extra usb hub.
Most USB 2.0 ports on motherboards are 9/10 pin ports, which actually constitutes two ports. The HUBBY7 has a 5-pin connector, of which two can be added to one 10/pin port on the motherboard.

Zitat

If the device has a USB 2.0 port, there is a good chance you will have to update the firmware in the future... much easier if you already have a USB connection.
Having a separate tab in the aquasuite is a positive for me... control the device independently.
The aquabus is particularly useful for non-Windows (Linux?) systems due to USB limitations.

Zitat

Is the Aquabus able to supply power as well as signal, in that case how great is the power delivery (W) through the Aquabus interface? i.e. can I put 'cable management' and/ or 'extendable' up on the pros list for the Aquabus?
The 4-pin aquabus cable does provide some 5V, but I do not know how much.
'Cable management' could be considered a plus for either (USB/aquabus) if used exclusively, as apposed to both.
I believe the only limitation to the number of items addable to an aquabus connection, is the defined port numbers for the aquabus devices.

Zitat

So far this is what I have managed to find:

Pros USB
  • The Aquaeros work fine using just USB. True
  • Easy to maintain and update. True
Cons USB
  • You get all devices listed separately in Aquasuite True, separate devices get separate tabs, a plus for me
  • The devices can't share data between each other without going through the Aquasuite SW. True
Pros Aquabus
  • All devices on the bus shares data, i.e. the 6 LT master can use sensors and control devices on the slave. True
Cons Aquabus
  • Requires a splitter cable, X4 or HUBBY9 if you want to use more than one device connected to one Aquaero 6.
  • Significantly harder to upgrade an Aquaero 6 after you set in in slave mode (see here).
  • May result in a reduced experience after an upgrade as the slave will be put in an error state, rather than properly communicate with an upgraded master.
Personally, I would never slave one aquaero to another... it essentially makes the slaved aquaero a splitty4.
Much better to invest in a 2nd HUBBY7

girion

RE: RE: Aquaero 6 LT USB vs Aquabus

Sonntag, 21. Februar 2021, 17:40

Thanks for several clarifying replies!

Zitat

Absolutely FALSE! Both may be used simultaneously.
I got some serious overvolting issues when I tried to connect both today. Maybe a topic for another thread?
There are some instances where.some functionality is lost by using an aquabus connection, but that is only because the aquabus slaves certain functions to the aquaero.
i.e. using aquabus on a QUADRO or OCTO slaves the fan ports to the aquaero, which has 4 controllers available, meaning you loose the 4/8 controllers on the QUADRO/OCTO.
That sounds very interesting, it seems like a dual Aquaero 6 is more in line of what I want. I currently run a total of 13 fans and a pump. I've been toying with the idea so make one of my rads a push/pull, thus making it a 17 fan set up; the control you get by making smaller groups are great; my rig is basically completely silent even in 4k gaming.

Zitat

If the device has a USB 2.0 port, there is a good chance you will have to update the firmware in the future... much easier if you already have a USB connection.
Having a separate tab in the aquasuite is a positive for me... control the device independently.
The aquabus is particularly useful for non-Windows (Linux?) systems due to USB limitations.
I wasn't aware of the Linux part, at least I never thought about it. One of the main reasons I got an Aquacomputer system is so that I dont need to care about cooling when working in *nix (I mainly run Gentoo, Mint and Kali). Just not having to care about fans while working is a great plus for me. Sounds like something to chalk up on the 'pro list', though not for Aquaero6.

Zitat

The 4-pin aquabus cable does provide some 5V, but I do not know how much.
'Cable management' could be considered a plus for either (USB/aquabus) if used exclusively, as apposed to both.
That's what I thought; 5V might be a bit too little to drive a Farbrewerk, but might be enough for a flow sensor?
I believe the only limitation to the number of items addable to an aquabus connection, is the defined port numbers for the aquabus devices.
It's a bus architecture after all, seems like a 7 or 8 bit addressing scheme (the RTC is at 111, so at least 7); so 127-255 max number of attached devices, maybe? Should be enough for any full tower build.
Personally, I would never slave one aquaero to another... it essentially makes the slaved aquaero a splitty4.
Much better to invest in a 2nd HUBBY7
Thanks for the advice, seems like the Aquabus interface is really good for connecting devices, more than controllers.

Montag, 22. Februar 2021, 05:54

I have both USB & Aquabus connected and it's never been an issue, as InfoSeeker said it makes it much easier when there's a firmware update.
"no shit lady, does it sound like i'm ordering pizza?"

girion

Dienstag, 23. Februar 2021, 21:45

I have both USB & Aquabus connected and it's never been an issue, as InfoSeeker said it makes it much easier when there's a firmware update.

Thanks for clarifying.
Seems like I had more problems than I though, basically the pump controller is broken as well as one of the fan headers on the Aquaero.