• 16.04.2024, 20:22
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

[GUIDE] Remove "Eject QUADRO" / "Eject OCTO" button from taskbar

Mittwoch, 24. Februar 2021, 22:57

Hi there,

I recently got an Aquacomputer Quadro fan controller and love it. I was however very unhappy about the Eject QUADRO button that appeared in my taskbar system tray. Being the OCD person that I am, I worked out how to prevent this button from ever appearing again. And so can you, in just 15 simple steps! :D This guide is written for the Quadro, but if you're looking for help with an octo, literally just replace the word quadro with octo whenever it comes up and you will be good to go.

To be clear, here is an image of what we are looking to get rid of (thank you DMorcheti for this):

Requirements for this guide are nssm (to make a service that runs on startup), use of notepad.exe to make a bat file, the registry editor and the command line with administrator access.

1. Go to Device Manager via the start menu -> Universal Serial Bus Devices -> QUADRO -> double click (or right click and select properties).

2. Select Details and then in the dropdown select Device instance path, copy the value.

3. Open up Registry Editor from the start menu. In the bar at the top type

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\

Then paste the Device instance path you copied earlier. Hit Enter.

4. Double click on the Capabilities entry, and set the value to 94.

5. In the top right corner, click File -> Export... -> name the file "quadro-fix" and save it to your desktop.

6. Create a folder called "quadro-fix" somewhere permanent (e.g. your documents folder) and move quadro-fix.reg inside.

7. Create a new text document, edit it with notepad.exe and add this line:

regedit /s "C:\path\to\quadro-fix\quadro-fix.reg"

Make sure you replace path\to with the path to your quadro-fix.reg file.

8. Hit File -> Save As -> name the file quadro-fix.bat (make sure it saves as a .bat file and not a .txt file). Save it in the quadro-fix folder.

9. Go to https://nssm.cc/download and download the Featured pre-release version (or whatever is the newest version/compatible with your system).

10. Extract the folder from the zip and place it in C:\Windows\System32

11. Open up a command line with Administrator access and type

cd C:\Windows\System32\nssm-2.24-101-g897c7ad\win64

Hit Enter. (Replace win64 with win32 if on a 32 bit OS. Also change nssm-2.24-101-g897c7ad to whatever the folder containing nssm is called).

Then type

.\nssm install quadro-fix

Hit Enter. The NSSM service installer window will open.

12. In the NSSM window, click on the ellipses button next to the Path: field and select your quadro-fix bat file.

13. Under details, make sure the task is set to Automatic, set the Display name to Quadro Fix and give a description if you like.

14. Under Log On, select This account and then fill in your Windows username and password. There are two entries for password, fill them both in with the same thing (it's to confirm you got the password right).

15. Finally, select the Install service button. Restart your computer, log in and bam! The Eject QUADRO button is gone. Woooooo!

Once the service is installed, you can check it's there in services.msc. It should be called
Quadro Fix/Octo Fix or whatever you named it under the Display name in nssm. It might throw an error if you try to manually start it, but that's fine. It is still running the registry edit, and will simply pause after doing so.

I hope this guide helps you, alleviates your OCD tendencies and helps you feel better about your future as a whole! Let me know how it goes, or if you need any help.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 10 mal editiert, zuletzt von »d0mini« (26. Februar 2021, 13:14)

Not really a solution

Freitag, 21. Mai 2021, 00:16

Hello,

Unlucky for us that have some degree of OCD this might not be the solution :thumbdown: ....
Running a script at every startup is not really tidy, and this method doesn't remove the Eject Media icon.

If you're like me where usually I have no USB drives connected and the only removable device is the D5 Next or the Octo applying this fix will not get rid of the Safely Eject media icon, and opening that icon will just reveal an empty list containing "..."

I wish aquacomputer will get rid of this finally at a driver-level, a Microsoft tech told me that this is how the driver exposes the hardware as: Removable on request

For now my only solution for a peaceful desktop experience is to just remove the usbs and let them do their job alone in isolation.

Freitag, 21. Mai 2021, 07:52

I wish aquacomputer will get rid of this finally at a driver-level, a Microsoft tech told me that this is how the driver exposes the hardware as: Removable on request
This is an issue with the Micosoft WINUSB Driver. Every Device that use this Driver is listed in the tray to eject the device. Microsoft ignore the own defined device descriptors and protocols.
Only Microsoft can fix this issue in their driver.

RE: Not really a solution

Dienstag, 15. Juni 2021, 13:54

Hello,

Unlucky for us that have some degree of OCD this might not be the solution :thumbdown: ....
Running a script at every startup is not really tidy, and this method doesn't remove the Eject Media icon.

If you're like me where usually I have no USB drives connected and the only removable device is the D5 Next or the Octo applying this fix will not get rid of the Safely Eject media icon, and opening that icon will just reveal an empty list containing "..."

For now my only solution for a peaceful desktop experience is to just remove the usbs and let them do their job alone in isolation.
Hey dallatorre,

Yes the Safely Eject media icon with the empty tray does occasionally pop up, but it's resolved with a restart for me. The way I set up the startup script in the guide is key - the script has to run as early as possible for it to work. If you'd rather not run a script at startup to resolve the issue that's fair enough. I find it to be pretty clean considering it does get rid of the Eject Media icon for me (after a restart).

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »d0mini« (15. Juni 2021, 13:57)