• 16.04.2024, 14:30
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

cuplex kryos NEXT sTRX4 FC - broken screw

Freitag, 23. April 2021, 15:48

Hi all.

I have a terrible situation here - one of the screws on the waterblock broke. Just yesterday I was assembling the system and now my waterblock is holding on to three screws instead of four and in addition there is now a piece of broken screw inside the socket.

I have two questions - first - where to write about this incident and second - if someone had the same broken screw - how did you get its broken pieces from the socket?

P.S. This is my first water cooling system, built entirely on aquacomputer components

Freitag, 23. April 2021, 18:28

Nasty.

support@aqua-computer.de

If you remove the block, is there enough left on the stub to grab with vise-grips?

Edit: perhaps an Easy Out type screw extractor?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »InfoSeeker« (23. April 2021, 18:38)

Freitag, 23. April 2021, 19:25

It's right under the level of the socket, i.e. nothing is sticking out. :(

Freitag, 23. April 2021, 20:03

Then a screw extractor may be your best solution.
The upside is the screw should not be rusted in or stuck.

Samstag, 24. April 2021, 16:39

From the back of the board, use a very small drill bit as if you were going to drill out the screw. Once the bit grabs, it should start unscrewing the screw.

Mittwoch, 28. April 2021, 15:44

I wonder when they will reply and send me this nasty screw. Or will I have to order it somewhere else. Somehow.

Mittwoch, 28. April 2021, 20:01

On their SUPPORT page they caution that it may take up to two weeks to reply.

Did you get the broken screw out?

Donnerstag, 29. April 2021, 07:25

No, why get it if there is nothing to replace it?

I think I found what type of screw it is (shoulder screw, m3.5*0.6 thread L=3.75 full lenght=20mm head D=8mm cap L=3.9mm shoulder L=12mm). They are sold everywhere except the aquacomputer shop (I mean as spare parts). So weird. God bless aliexpress (hope to find it there).

The screws seem to be made of nickel-plated brass. That's why they are so brittle.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 5 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Paul Oblomov« (29. April 2021, 08:40)

Donnerstag, 29. April 2021, 13:50

Oh, seems like they sent something :)

4 new screws! What a support! Thx! Hope I won't kill my socket extracting...

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Paul Oblomov« (29. April 2021, 14:00)

Samstag, 5. Juni 2021, 12:19

Thanks for the awesome technical support! Now all the screws are tightened.

BUT!

I am in the wildest shock. The thermal grease, which is included in the package - scratched all over my waterblock and CPU cover! I can catch the craters that are left with my fingernail. And where there were no screws, there are almost no scratches. The upper left corner is in the picture.

How much is the waterblock cover ? This is the included thermal paste... I'm shocked. I read that it can scratch, they had a bad batch. How did I get so "lucky". That's a damn shame!

I'm going to write to thermalgrizzly now.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Paul Oblomov« (5. Juni 2021, 12:21)

Samstag, 5. Juni 2021, 13:39

I'm curious, how can thermal paste scratch your cooling block?
Es gibt keinen Ausweg, den ein Mensch nicht beschreitet, um die tatsächliche Arbeit des Denkens zu vermeiden.
Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931), amerik. Erfinder

Samstag, 5. Juni 2021, 17:05

Coz they did crappy thermal paste... And now I used noctua h2 for this new fresh install. It doesn't scratch anything and is cheaper, than this crap.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threa…atching.261985/

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Paul Oblomov« (5. Juni 2021, 17:14)

Remayz

Samstag, 5. Juni 2021, 18:30

never had any scrach using kryonaut.. as they say, there's lots of counterfeiting, and also the possibility to get bad batches.
When some say MX4 spreads better than kryonaut, clearly they didn't get the stuff i know. MX4 is super thick and kryonaut very fluid.
Now remember that you had your cooler secured with 3 screws for a while, that throws everything off balance. doesn't surprise me you have two opposite corners marked. just fiddling with the broken screw could do that. the paste squishes out and you got metal to metal contact.

unrealted but, breaking the screw isn't a good sign ^^' you probably applied too much torque too. it's m3.5, the kind of stuff you do finger tight.. and shouldered is even more fragile than a straight M3.5.
All the pressure is done by the spring. as soon as you feel the shoulder bottom out, that's it, no need to torque down at all.

Samstag, 5. Juni 2021, 18:46

Polished metal rubs against polished metal and produces scratches (you can see btw the small dots, like sand particles were pressed into) :) Genius! But it's unlikely about the balance - there are three pressure points anyway.

About the fake thermal paste it's unthinkable - I used the paste from the waterblock kit. And to break the powdered brass is not so difficult, as my example showed :)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Paul Oblomov« (5. Juni 2021, 18:50)

Samstag, 5. Juni 2021, 18:52

My question was rather designed to learn what should have been in the paste that can cause such scratches.
The particles must have had a size that you would have felt or heard it immediately during mounting or assembly.

On the other hand, you can not really find much about such a problem on the Internet, which surprises me, because just the PC enthusiasts are immediately very loud.

Questions about questions.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Es gibt keinen Ausweg, den ein Mensch nicht beschreitet, um die tatsächliche Arbeit des Denkens zu vermeiden.
Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931), amerik. Erfinder

Remayz

Samstag, 5. Juni 2021, 19:35

the Ryzen IHS is not smooth, only the lettering is. that surface scuffs up very quickly, same on intel actually. that's the kind of marking i usually got with thicker thermal pastes like the MX. Not that the paste itself has big bits but it sometimes clumps, maybe because short shelf life? no idea.
Usually the paste gives like a tarnish, but not such sharp points.
Was it actually kryonaut, and not a cheaper one like Hydronaut or Aeronaut?
I'm really surprised, because kryonaut is so fluid and thin.. i don't see how it could possibly do this. Maybe the 1g syringes that ship with waterblocks don't hold up as long as the bigger retail ones.. really weird.

Sonntag, 6. Juni 2021, 10:20

I don't understand why you're all so surprised. There are a huge number of these stories with Kryonaut. It's a defective batch. Thermalgrizzly RMA to some. Sometimes.

I'm just offended that first the screw broke, then I ran into a defective thermal paste.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/th…asive.18827970/

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Paul Oblomov« (6. Juni 2021, 10:21)

Remayz

Sonntag, 6. Juni 2021, 17:15

Well, i buy a 5g syringe every 2 years at most sooo i don't read about it all that much ^^'
Unless you have the issue, you won't search it.

The screw is more annoying yea. i wonder why they thought using a crappy brass screw was a good idea to compress such a spring.
I'm kinda surprised you have 3 that didn't snap!
All the coolers i ever bought, air or water, came with steel hardware.

Montag, 7. Juni 2021, 08:34

I think it's because brass is easier to work with.

As for the thermal paste, I'm shocked myself. This is the first fiasco of this kind in my memory :(

Dienstag, 8. Juni 2021, 03:00

I've seen that type of pitting from a number of different pastes over the years. I just figured it was normal.