• 16.04.2024, 20:36
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Can the QUADRO fan controller run unplugged from the motherboard after it has been programmed?

Mittwoch, 5. Mai 2021, 13:07

Hi,

I want to use the QUADRO fan controller to run 4x140mm fans, powered by a 12v 5a power supply with molex adapter, to use as cooling for a projector hush box.

Is it possible to setup the QUADRO fan controller on my PC via USB first, choose the temperature setting via the software, then unplug it and put it in a box by itself?

Does it "remember" the settings and work with the USB unplugged from the motherboard?

I've looked into many fan controllers and this seems to be the best, so would love to use it if this setup works.

Advice much appreciated!

Mittwoch, 5. Mai 2021, 15:09

The QUADRO is completely autonomous, once the data is set it continues to run and only needs power.
If you connect temperature sensors, it will continue to be controlled by these sensors.
However, I think that your power supply will not be enough, because the Quadro needs 12V and 5V.
Es gibt keinen Ausweg, den ein Mensch nicht beschreitet, um die tatsächliche Arbeit des Denkens zu vermeiden.
Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931), amerik. Erfinder

Mittwoch, 5. Mai 2021, 16:24

Thanks Taubenhaucher!

That's great news. I would like to set the data, remove it from the PC, and then run it with the sensors as you say. If I can find the right power supply it sound like the QUARDO will be perfect.

What kind of power supply will be sufficient? I would like to run 4x140mm Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 fans via the QUADRO, the fans are 3.6 watts each.
FANS

This is the power supply I was planning to get (with a molex adapter):
Power Supply
I'm not knowledgeable about electronics, so would love some advice and not burn down the house. I'm UK based so trying to source parts from here, but happy to get the right thing somewhere else.

Thanks again!

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »TTR_sonobeno« (5. Mai 2021, 16:36)

Mittwoch, 5. Mai 2021, 17:15

Finding a good quality external Power supply is hard...

The Quadro requires +5V for the Controller and the LED functions.
5V 1A is enough for the Controller, if you connect LEDs, you need more than 1A.

A Warning:
Do not use an external Power supply and the USB connection at the same time! This can damage your Hardware.
If the Quadro is connected with USB, you must use the internal Power supply from your Computer.
Please use the external Power Supply only when the USB is disconnected.

Mittwoch, 5. Mai 2021, 18:07

Thanks Hufeisen! Good to know!

I'm planning to plug it in my computer only for programming and testing.
When I have the settings I want, it will go in the hush box by itself, no USB or LEDs connected, only the 4x140mm Be Quiet fans and the temperature sensor.

I was hoping the 12V 5A Power Supply would be enough, but if not I suppose I can get a normal PC PSU, then I don't need the molex adapter either.

Maybe something like this PSU ?

Its just another fan in the case, which means potential more noise, which is something I'd like to avoid.

Or this 12V 8A ?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »TTR_sonobeno« (5. Mai 2021, 18:10)

Mittwoch, 5. Mai 2021, 18:40

The amps are not the first problem, the power supply must provide both 12V and 5V voltage at the same time.
A computer power supply does that, the vast majority of external power supplies do not.
The Quadro will not work with a pure 12V power supply!
What you take best I can not say.
Es gibt keinen Ausweg, den ein Mensch nicht beschreitet, um die tatsächliche Arbeit des Denkens zu vermeiden.

Mittwoch, 5. Mai 2021, 19:49

Thanks Taubenhaucher,

Now I understand what you meant with 12V AND 5V.
I will get a computer PSU then. I assume most or all PSU's will deliver both 12V and 5V.

Considering it will only power the 4 fans, would a 300W PSU be enough? Like this one ?

Much appreciate the help!

Donnerstag, 6. Mai 2021, 07:24

How about this one , or the 400W variant, if the 300W is not available on stock, it's smaller.

The power is exaggerated for the purpose, but there are hardly any weaker power supplies.
BeQuiet builds good power supplies.

Donnerstag, 6. Mai 2021, 13:34

Thanks Taubenhaucher,

I don't see a molux connector on the Be Quiet 300W SFX model you linked?

I had a look at their site and they have a diagram for the cables, but unless the HHD is also a molux I don't understand if it can work with the QUADRO?

Donnerstag, 6. Mai 2021, 13:46

The HDD is a 4 pin Molex.
You can see it in the 360° picture
look: https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.…nze_951172.html

Donnerstag, 6. Mai 2021, 17:24

I see it! Thanks Taubenhaucher.

That seals the deal for me.

Thanks for answering all my electronic newbie questions.

Donnerstag, 6. Mai 2021, 17:34

If you use a ATX Power Supply, you need a ATX start plug for it to turn it on. https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_inf…roducts_id=1961
(or run a wire between the green cable and any black cable)

Another problem can be the minimum power requirement for the Power Supply to turn on.
Power Supplies using ATX Version 2.3 and below require a minimum Power of 0.5A at 12V to turn on. (according to the Specification)
With ATX Version 2.4, the minimum Power Requirement has changed to 0.05A.
Please make sure you buy a Power supply that complies with ATX Version 2.4 to avoid that problem.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Hufeisen« (6. Mai 2021, 17:36)

Freitag, 7. Mai 2021, 13:06

Thanks Hufeisen,

That's a very good point! I had not considered how the PSU will turn on without a motherboard.

I'm planning to run the setup via a Master/Slave extension lead, (like this )so when I turn on the projector, the power supply gets turned on automatically.
Would that work if I get the plug you linked?

Samstag, 8. Mai 2021, 01:56

Yes you need +12VDC and +5VDC, and yes a computer power supply will provide that. There are other options you may want to consider. A quick search on Amazon found this Meanwell supply that puts out +5VDC at 4-amps and +12VDC at 1-amp. This particular model may not exactly meet your needs but if you do a little searching, there are plenty of "industrial" switching supplies that are used in various situations that require+12VDC and +5 VDC. They are not uncommon and might be a little cheaper than a computer power supply that has extra outputs (PCIE etc.) that you do not need. I would not buy the cheapest no-name brand you can find. Look at Meanwell, Acopian, OMRON, SOLA, and Siemens.

It's an interesting ap[plication, and one that can benefit from the fact that the Octo has its own internal processor, and once configured, can run without an active USB connection.

Good luck!

Freitag, 14. Mai 2021, 01:54

Thanks Speed-VI,

That meanwell power supply looks good, but too advanced for me. I'm not savvy enough with electronics to take advantage of this option, and I'm happy to spend more money on my build, if it means spending less time, and less risk things going wrong for me.

I'm using the QUADRO not the OCTO, but hopefully it will work as well. It should arrive soon so I can test over the weekend. Will report back on how it goes.

Dienstag, 18. Mai 2021, 13:28

Great success! Did this test setup and it works like a charm. Super impressed with the QUADRO software as well, a bliss to set everything up just the way you want it.