• 16.04.2024, 20:57
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

RGBpx LED strip with 30 addressable LED's behind a monitor?

Sonntag, 9. Mai 2021, 11:22

Hi. I'm new here and I'm just getting in to (custom) water cooling.
I was, or actually still am, interested in most of EKWB's gear but after finding out that their controller software is one of the worst coded and worst supported fan/rgb control applications out there I came across someone mentioning Aquasuite which eventually led me to their web-site/shop where a new doors opened up to me.
One of those doors led to something I have been looking in to for a while now, on and off, which is ambient lighting, more specifically creating a more immersive background lighting experience by placing addressable LED's behind my monitor, but so far I haven't found anything that fits my needs. Philips HUE comes close with some of the best options on offer but it's pretty expensive to get it all set up, especially if you don't use their ecosystem yet. NZXT has a more affordable solution which looks good on paper but from what i've gathered so far that solution seems far from perfect while support for it doesn't seem to be a priority for NZXT at the moment.
Now in comes Aqua-computer's AMBIENTpx solution which looks pretty promising to me and also at a reasonable price, so much so that I'm willing to try it out, but I do have some questions about a few things after having looked in to the available options and what I need to get things up and running. One of those things is the choice in RGBpx LED strips and I was wondering if it would also be possible to use the 27,3cm RGBpx LED strips with 30 addressable LED's (prod. nr. 53270) instead of the mainly used strips with 15 addressable LED's, and if so will the AMBIENTpx effects be "better" for it or will difference be negligible that it's not worth the extra hassle and cost compared to the standard RGBpx lighting strips used in the set for monitors?

I am also aware of the fact that I will have to make use of the Farbwerk 360 when addressing more than 90 LED's but I will probably have to use that controller any way seeing as I have a ultrawide monitor for which I would probably need to use 8 LED strips in total. The thing I was wondering about that though is how do I fit 3 strips of each being 27.3cm or 32cm in length horizontally on the back of my monitor's top or bottom which is 82.5cm in width?
Do I overlap them and not assign the LED's which are overlapping? Do I have to cut two of the strips to the size that it will all fit? Or do I use 6 LED strips instead of 8 and have them more centered on the back of my ultrawide monitor, or rather spaced out? It's not really clear to me how to set this up properly.

And then there's one last thing, which is more a remark rather than a question. The Farbwerk Nano sets come with 1 LED strip included so you'll have to get the extra LED strip set for monitors if you intend to deck out your monitor. This set has 4 LED strips included so you have 5 LED strips in total, while you need 6 according to the instruction video if you want to go all around the edge of your monitor. Wouldn't a set of 5 LED strips or including 2 LED strips instead of 1 in the Farbwerk Nano sets make more sense then? Perhaps I'm missing something, but like I said, it's more a remark than a question so take from it what you will. It just seemed a bit strange to me having to buy a single LED strip and single connection cable separately in addition to both for mentioned sets in order to complete a monitor sized rectangle.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »-SambaL-« (9. Mai 2021, 11:28)

Sonntag, 9. Mai 2021, 23:44

Hi and welcome!

"I was wondering if it would also be possible to use the 27,3cm RGBpx LED strips with 30 addressable LED's
(prod. nr. 53270) instead of the mainly used strips with 15 addressable
LED's, and if so will the AMBIENTpx effects be "better" for it or will
difference be negligible that it's not worth the extra hassle and cost
compared to the standard RGBpx lighting strips used in the set for
monitors?"

Yes, it's possible. I have a couple of those connected up to my own RGBpx kit.

'Better' is highly subjective, really. More LEDs means more light, and might be useful if you have your monitor brightness set really high, in which case the extra light might show up against the monitor glare.

Alternatively, you may find that the 4-pack of 15-LED strips puts out more than enough light for your needs.

To give you an example:

I have a 27" monitor. It's 62cm wide and 36½cm tall. I have the standard monitor lighting set, with one 32cm strip sat centrally behind each edge. That puts out more than enough light for the AmbientPX effect. In truth, I mainly use it as background ambient light instead of a desk lamp, so under that profile I just have the top and bottom strips giving out a warm-tinted yellowish light. I don't even need to use the strips up the sides.

"The thing I was
wondering about that though is how do I fit 3 strips of each
being 27.3cm or 32cm in length horizontally on the back of my monitor's
top or bottom which is 82.5cm in width?
Do
I overlap them and not assign the LED's which are overlapping? Do I
have to cut two of the strips to the size that it will all fit? Or do I
use 6 LED strips instead of 8 and have them more centered on the back of
my ultrawide monitor, or rather spaced out? It's not really clear to me
how to set this up properly."
Another example:

A friend of mine has an Ultrawide (Asus, I believe) and it comes with an LED ring around the VESA mount. It's only about 6" diameter, but it puts out enough light to achieve the same effect as the AquaComputer kit.

One idea, therefore,
is to simply put the four strips in a square around the central point
of the monitor. It should still output enough light to create the right
effect, but with a small area similar to this Asus one.

TBH, this is probably going to be a case of trial and error. You may find four strips is
enough, especially if placed in a central square. If you're using the standard 15-LED strips, you can run six of
them with a single Farbwerk Nano (external).

For fairly complete coverage, I would suggest trying 6 strips. Place one along the top and another along the bottom. The other four you place diagonally across the corners, so you end up with something shaped vaguely like this:

<=>

One of the biggest factors will be what you're shining the light strips onto, whether it's a flat wall or other surface behind the screen, how far away from the screen it is, whether it's at an angle, etc.

Something I
would advise is sticking the strips up with BluTac or some other
temporary measure until you find a setup that you like.

Something I would not advise is cutting the strips, as you may decide to repurpose them later, If you have to, just overlap them.

"The Farbwerk Nano sets come with 1 LED strip included so you'll have to get the extra LED strip set for monitors
if you intend to deck out your monitor. This set has 4 LED strips
included so you have 5 LED strips in total, while you need 6 according
to the instruction video if you want to go all around the edge of your
monitor. Wouldn't a set of 5 LED strips or including 2 LED strips
instead of 1 in the
Farbwerk Nano sets
make more sense then?"

Nope. I only need four strips, someone else might want six, while you were of the opinion you'd need eight.

That'd mean having several different SKUs comprising sets of three, five and seven strips to cater for all likely customers' needs, along with however many other strips might be required by people who use the Nano for lighting things other than monitors... desk shelves, for example, which is something I was debating.

It's easier to just have one SKU of the most commonly required quantity and go from there.

Hopefully all of that made sense?

Samstag, 22. Mai 2021, 12:28

It did. Cheers for your thoughts and advice.

Because a lot of the products I want/need are out of stock basically everywhere I ended up buying a Quadro controller incl. rgbpx monitor lighting set (4 lightstrips) and a Farbwerk 360 which comes with 2 rgbpx lightstrips. Then I combined the lightstrips and stuck the 6 of them to the back of my monitor along the edges in a rectangle. The gaps between the strips are a bit wide for my taste but I thought I'd just give it a go and I'm happy to say that it does not seem to have an impact on the overal background illumination. so I'm pretty satisfied with the end result.
It did take me some time to figure out how to correctly configure the strips but once I started to understand the software better I was able to get it all set up correctly. It's true that Aquasuite overwhelms you with the amount of customization but once you get the hang of it it really gives you a lot options to fine tune everything to your liking. I am still getting in to it but I have to say that I'm very impressed so far.