• 17.04.2024, 01:00
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

What do I need to control this many fans?

Montag, 26. Juli 2021, 17:06

I have a Corsair 5000x with 10 QL120's and the xd5 pump res. I thought on using an octo with 3 RGBpx splitty 4 in groups of 3 fans per splitty except for the last one that would drive 4 fans. However, the documentation is confusing. It says that the splitty can handle four fans, but then it says maximum two fans for the QL120. What are my options here?

Remayz

Montag, 26. Juli 2021, 17:24

it can handle 4 fans for PWM, but it can only drive 2 fans for RGB, because AC controllers are 90 LEDs per channel, and each QL fan is 34 LEDs.
So you will more likely need an Octo + a farbwerk360 (4 channels RGBpx).
PWM on Octo, RGB on Farbwerk.
ALso, the Farbwerk RGB is more advanced, you can stack up effects and play with transparency between effects(as you could with Corsair controllers). Octo doesn't do that.
Whenever someone uses QL fans it's a bit more complicated because they fill up RGB channels quickly so you have to use more Splittys, even tho it's not needed on the PWM side.

Montag, 26. Juli 2021, 17:26

The Corsair QL Fans use 34 LEDs each.
The Aquacomputer RGBpx System is limited to 90 LEDs for each RGBpx Channel.
If you want to control the LEDs with Aquasuite Software, you can only connect 2 QL Fans.

If you only want to control the Fan Speed, and use the Corsair Commander for the LED Control, you can connect up to 4 Fans.

Please note:
The RGBpx Splitty4 is a passive PCB, that serves as a Y-Cable for Fan and LEDs. It does NOT have the ability to control things.
You always need a dedicated Controller for the Splitty4 to work. (e.g. Quadro, Octo, D5 Next, Farbwerk360, etc)

Montag, 26. Juli 2021, 19:04

The Corsair QL Fans use 34 LEDs each.
The Aquacomputer RGBpx System is limited to 90 LEDs for each RGBpx Channel.
If you want to control the LEDs with Aquasuite Software, you can only connect 2 QL Fans.

If you only want to control the Fan Speed, and use the Corsair Commander for the LED Control, you can connect up to 4 Fans.

Please note:
The RGBpx Splitty4 is a passive PCB, that serves as a Y-Cable for Fan and LEDs. It does NOT have the ability to control things.
You always need a dedicated Controller for the Splitty4 to work. (e.g. Quadro, Octo, D5 Next, Farbwerk360, etc)

OP could use a Commander Pro and 2 Corsair RGB hubs, but if he bought the QL120 fans in 3-packs, they come with a Lighting Node Core. Each Lighting Node Core can handle 6 x QL fans, so OP would need 2 of them. Using Corsair controllers unfortunately means using Corsair iCue, or OpenRGB, or one of the other RGB utilities that can control Corsair RGB controllers. If OP wants all RGB under Aquasuite control, he will have to install 5 x Splitty4s. If OP is OK with using Corsair iCue or whatever Corsair compatible RGB control program, then using the Lighting Node Cores is the least hardware intensive way to do it.

I have 7 QL fans in my rig. I am using 2 x Lighting Node Cores and controlling them with SIV (NOT iCue). My pump LEDs and all of my RGBpx LED strips are controlled by Aquasuite via 2 x Farbwek360's. Motherboard and RAM RGB is controlled by Open RGB. It's not optimal since I still have 3 different programs controlling lighting, but at least I have managed to eliminate iCue and Asus Aura & Armoury Crate. I refuse to install any of those programs. Aquasuite RGB control is very nice to work with, and offers some great presets that the user can heavily modify. That said, there are things that I can do in iCue that I have not been able to replicate or eve get close to in Aquasuite. I like those effects, but not enough to install iCue on my system. Another thing I have discovered is that if you have multiple Farbwek360's running, there does not appear to be any synchronization between them, so you have to be careful about how you group things.

Good luck and please do post your progress. Always interested in the solutions people come up with for RGB control. Unfortunately, the RGB craze evolved in a rather haphazard way, resulting in a free for all of RGB hardware and software.

Montag, 26. Juli 2021, 20:07

I have zero interest in using Corsair's software and I'd very much prefer to do everything from aquasuite. If I go the farbwerk way, do I need to buy any additional adaptors? Not being cheap, just trying to buy everything in one go.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »SweetSnots« (26. Juli 2021, 20:11)

Montag, 26. Juli 2021, 22:28

You need:
1* Octo
1* Farbwerk 360
5* RGBpx Splitty4

and two free USB2.0 ports on your Motherboard. If you dont have enough internal USB Ports, you can buy a Hubby7.

All required cables are included.

Montag, 26. Juli 2021, 23:18

Awesome, thank you so much! I'm sorry to ask because I'm not familiar with these products yet (hundreds of computers built but this will be my first water cooled PC). So the way it'd end up connected would be:
  • Fan PWMs connected to RGBpxSplitties Fan headers.
  • Fan RGB connected to RGBpxSplitties in groups of two fans per splitty.
  • Splitties PWM connected to Octo.
  • Splitties RGB connected to Farbwerk.
  • Octo and Farb connected to one USB header each.

Is that a correct assumption?

Remayz

Montag, 26. Juli 2021, 23:18

actually, the octo and fatbwerk use half a header each, so they can work off one single header. just watch the pinout

Montag, 26. Juli 2021, 23:30

So the rest was correct?

Remayz

Dienstag, 27. Juli 2021, 00:16

maybe check on the shop how many RGBpx cables come with splittys and Farbwerk, to make sure you have enough. apart from that it looks good

Dienstag, 27. Juli 2021, 00:57

Your list looks correct to me (FWIW).I don't blame you for not wanting to install iCue. I am guessing you have already been down that path.

Thinking this through, if I have this right, you will have 5 x Splitty4's but only 4 RGBpx ports on the Farbwerk360. You could connect the RGBpx of the 5th Splitty4 to an RGBpx port on the Octo, but Octo RGBpx ports are more limited than the RGBpx ports on the Farkwerk360. The other option is to do what I did and get a 2nd Farbwerk360, then connect the RGBpx port on the 5th Splitty4 to an RGBpx port on the 2nd Farbwerk360. Note that the Farbwerk360s operate asynchronously, which could be an issue depending on what RGB effects you will be using. Also note that the Farbwerk360 comes with 2 x RGBpx cables #53287 (50cm) and 2 x 15-LED RGBpx LED strips. The Splitty4 comes with 1 x 50cm RGBpx cable and 1 x 70cm 4-pin PWM fan cable, so you are covered for PWM fan and RGBpx cables.

Other stuff to consider ordering:

If you end up adding a 2nd Farbwerk360, you need another USB port to plug it into. All of their USB cables are 5-pin at the USB header end so you can get 2 of them on 1 USB10-pin port. I would just add a Hubby7.

You might want to throw in a couple of Aquacompter #53282 adapters. These little guys come in handy if you want to connect an RGB device that has the standard ARGB connectors on it to an Aquacomputer RGBpx port. I used one to connect the LEDs in my Fractal Celsius+ RGB pump to a Farbwerk360 port. They also have the opposite adapter #53285 that allows an RGBpx device to be connected to a standard ARGB +5VDC mobo port (or whatever).

If you have need of these adapters, you will also need RGBpx cables to connect to these adapters. These are actually just Molex Picoblade connectors, so you can buy the parts to make them yourself if so inclined. Molex also has pre-made cables but I think the standard pinout is different than the Aquacomputer pinout. Easier to just buy the Aquacomputer RGBpx cables unless you will be using a lot of them. Unlike Corsair, Aquacomputer provides these adapters to allow interconnecting their RGB devices to other products. Maybe if Corsair had more confidence in their iCue platform, they would not make it all a closed proprietary system with no provision to connect a non-Corsair RGB device.

Freitag, 30. Juli 2021, 01:38

Octo RGBpx ports are more limited than the RGBpx ports on the Farkwerk360
Could you please elaborate on this? I've already spent several thousand dollars on this build and my wallet is exhausted. I'm thinking of your first idea of plugging the last one to the Octo.

Remayz

Freitag, 30. Juli 2021, 02:45

you can't stack effects on Octo and Quadro.
On Farbwerk, you can set multiple effects to work on the same LEDs with transparency. Like, set a background effect, and add on top other effects etc..

Freitag, 30. Juli 2021, 03:05

Here is what I know, from the operation manuals for the Octo and the Farbwerk360. Each LED preset can be customized in various different ways, and assigned to some specific number of LEDs. You do this by adding "LED Controllers" in Aquasuite. There is a limit to how many of these LED Controllers you can have. On the Farbwek360, the limit is 20, total, for all 4 RGBpx ports. On the Octo, the limit is 6 LED Controllers for each RGBpx port.

The other difference is Transparency. With both the Farbwerk360 and the Octo, you can "stack" LED Controllers so that more than one effect is assigned to the same LEDs. The top ones get priority over lower ones. With Octo RGBpx ports, the colors in the RGB Controllers are considered "solid" so a higher level controller will completely occlude lower controllers. With the Farbwerk360, you can assign levels of Opacity. so lower level effects can "bleed through" the higher level effects. I feel like I am not explaining this clearly and suggest you read the User and Installation manuals for both. The Octo limitation of 6 concurrent LED Controllers per port is stated in section 11.1 of the manual. For the Farbwerk, the 20 LED Controller limit is stated in section 10.1. Transparency is section 10.7 (Farbwerk360 only).

There may be other differences that I am not aware of but these are the main 2 things that I know are more limited on the Octo. They may make no difference to your RGB plans at all, but if you are planning to set up multiple effects that are concurrently assigned to the same group of LEDs, the Farbwerk360 Transparency feature allows things that are not possible with the Octo. If you are just planning on solid colors or single level effects, the Octo RGBpx ports will be all you need.

Samstag, 31. Juli 2021, 15:11

Thank you so much for such an insightful response, I understood everything perfectly. Well I have no plans for unicorn rainbow, but I do want my fans running at a very low bright and desaturated shade of blue with a single, brighter dot traveling through all the fans so yeah will need the big guns. Thanks a lot!

Remayz

Samstag, 31. Juli 2021, 16:22

you can achieve that effect with the Scanner or Laser effect in one go.
laser goes in only one direction, while Scanner goes back and forth.

Now if you want to animate a bit your blue background (like a flame flicker in blue) you will need to stack effects

Dienstag, 10. August 2021, 18:11

Well I just tested everything and it all worked beautiful. However, I'm now disappointed at the QL120s and will be replacing them with Lian Lis AL120s. Do I need to buy any additional connectors?

Donnerstag, 12. August 2021, 11:44

Glad to see it worked but I was planning to use QL120: why do you want to change?

Montag, 16. August 2021, 23:18

Not OP but guessing he was disappointed with the QL-120 performance. They look great (I think) but Corsair spec for static pressure is only 1.5mm H2O. Airflow is 41.8 CFM. The Lion Li SL120 spec says static pressure is 2.54mm H2O and airflow is 58.84 CFM. So higher static pressure and more air flow. Corsair does not make an RGB fan with 2.54mm H2O of static pressure. Even their SP120 only does 1.46mm. The old HD120 (single color) fans do 2.25mm. This all presumes that you can believe any of Corsair's specs. If your main criteria for a fan is performance, the QL series are not good choices. If you main criteria is how many LEDs they managed to cram into a fan, the QL series are great. Unfortunately, the 90 LED limit on Aquacomputer RGBpx ports does not divide well by 34 LEDs per QL series fan. Hence OP's need for so many Splitty4s.