• 18.04.2024, 02:22
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

P.C.Zen

Using multiple ambient temperature sensors to control fans with a Quadro, based on the delta between air & coolant...

Mittwoch, 8. September 2021, 14:43

My question is, is it possible?

I was planning on buying two extra temperature sensors so that I can take ambient temperature readings at each intake, and use the sum of the three values as the ambient for the air:coolant delta.

Is that actually possible?

Can I use the software to make my own virtual sensor based on the readings from three separate temperature sensors?

I'm planning on placing the temperature sensors in front of the fan hub of each fan in each of my three intakes....

...is that a good place to put them...?...and is it possible to use all three readings to make the virtual sensor I'm hoping to make?

Remayz

Mittwoch, 8. September 2021, 16:46

short answer : yes, you can do all that, average your 3 sensors, or take the highest divided by the square root of water flow over CPU frequency averaged.. and i'm not even joking, you can do that too :)

you could create a sensor adding the 3 intake temps, dividing by 3 to get the average, add a low pass filter to smooth out fast temperature changes, and substract that to water temp to get a smooth delta T reading.

P.C.Zen

Mittwoch, 8. September 2021, 17:05

short answer : yes, you can do all that, average your 3 sensors, or take the highest divided by the square root of water flow over CPU frequency averaged.. and i'm not even joking, you can do that too :)

you could create a sensor adding the 3 intake temps, dividing by 3 to get the average, add a low pass filter to smooth out fast temperature changes, and substract that to water temp to get a smooth delta T reading.
Thanks, :0)

Not 100% sure how that would all work but not sure I'm even going to have the loop up and running before the end of the year...so...I guess it's a case of crossing that bridge when I come to it. :S

Also...

Is in front of the intake fan hub a good place for the temp sensor...?...and I have three sensors here (from an old fan controller) which should plug into my Quadro, but they're quite a few years old now (probably over ten years old) and I'm wondering if newer temp sensors might be more accurate, or if I can just stick with the one's I have?

Remayz

Mittwoch, 8. September 2021, 18:13

calibration may be slightly off between sensors but the reading is accurate enough for PC cooling. but you can calibrate that in aquasuite, keeping all the sensors together and setting the offset so they read all identical., then install them where they have to go.

Now, using 3 sensors for an ambient reading may be a tad overkill. you may end up sticking with just one in the end. The added accuracy may make a difference of a few RPM on fan speed, and pretty much nothing in water temperature :)
But do it, it's a fun experiment to get used to the Playground, making virtual sensors :) and you'll see if it makes any difference using one or 3 sensors. See for yourself.

And the fan hub is a small dead zone, little to no airflow there, so, the reading should be somewhat more stable than in front of the blades.

Mittwoch, 8. September 2021, 23:24

snip

Is in front of the intake fan hub a good place for the temp sensor...?...
If you are talking in front of case fans, sure... but in front of radiator fans, be cautious of radiant heat from the radiator biasing the sensor.

Zitat

and I have three sensors here (from an old fan controller) which should plug into my Quadro, but they're quite a few years old now (probably over ten years old) and I'm wondering if newer temp sensors might be more accurate, or if I can just stick with the one's I have?
temperature sensors are relatively cheap. I would replace 10 year old sensors in case of brittle wire failure, so as to not have to replace.

P.C.Zen

Donnerstag, 9. September 2021, 09:26

@Remayz & @InfoSeeker

Thanks so much for responding, it's very appreciated...

...with regards the radiant heat from the rads, I'll probably just run one sensor out of the bottom of the case and have it hang off of the desk so that it takes readings from below the case.

For the moment I'll probably use the sensor that comes with the Quadro I've ordered but I'm thinking I might swap in a two-pin Lamptron sensor because if it's going to be hanging out of the bottom of the case the Lampron sensor is sleeved and looks a little better.

Edit: Actually probably test to see if the radiant heat reaches the sensor at the fan hub: if not...I'll go with a sensor in front of each hub.

Also, thinking the wind chill from the fan blades might not be so bad? It might actually be a more accurate measure of actual air temperature passing through the rads?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »P.C.Zen« (9. September 2021, 09:38)

Donnerstag, 9. September 2021, 19:16

I ran into an issue using a temp sensor not made by Aquacomputer. The problem was not the sensor, it was the 2-pin connector on it. I had a few old Corsair temp sensors that I wanted to use. I tried to connect one. It worked fine and gave me the same reading as the Aquacomputer temp sensor that came with my OCTO, but the 2-pin connector body is a bit thicker than the Aquacomputer #53026 temp sensor. The sensor inputs on the OCTO and QUADRO are very close together. I could only plug the Corsair temp sensor into temp input #1 or #4 because there is room for the thicker connector body. It would not plug into temp sensor inputs #2 or #3 because the 2-pin connector body would hit the adjacent temp sensor input pins.

I have not been able to find Aquacomputer temp sensors (AQ #53026) in the USA. ModMyMods, Performance PCs, and Aquatuning US don't carry them for whatever reason. I ended up getting a bunch of Phobya #82395 temp sensors from ModMyMods. The 2-pin connector is very thin like the Aquacomputer #530256 temp sensor. They also have sleeved cables which is nice. Of note is that the 2-pin connector body is so thin that one of them cracked on me, so you need to be careful when plugging them in. ModMyMods also sells a Phobya 2-pin Extension Cable #82395.

P.C.Zen

Donnerstag, 9. September 2021, 19:35

I ran into an issue using a temp sensor not made by Aquacomputer. The problem was not the sensor, it was the 2-pin connector on it. I had a few old Corsair temp sensors that I wanted to use. I tried to connect one. It worked fine and gave me the same reading as the Aquacomputer temp sensor that came with my OCTO, but the 2-pin connector body is a bit thicker than the Aquacomputer #53026 temp sensor. The sensor inputs on the OCTO and QUADRO are very close together. I could only plug the Corsair temp sensor into temp input #1 or #4 because there is room for the thicker connector body. It would not plug into temp sensor inputs #2 or #3 because the 2-pin connector body would hit the adjacent temp sensor input pins.

I have not been able to find Aquacomputer temp sensors (AQ #53026) in the USA. ModMyMods, Performance PCs, and Aquatuning US don't carry them for whatever reason. I ended up getting a bunch of Phobya #82395 temp sensors from ModMyMods. The 2-pin connector is very thin like the Aquacomputer #530256 temp sensor. They also have sleeved cables which is nice. Of note is that the 2-pin connector body is so thin that one of them cracked on me, so you need to be careful when plugging them in. ModMyMods also sells a Phobya 2-pin Extension Cable #82395.
Thanks for the heads up...I bought two Lamptron temp sensors :S

I'm hoping they'll fit the quadro...if not I guess I'll look at the Phobya temp sensors. Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

Edit: If they don't fit, I might try filing them down. :S

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »P.C.Zen« (9. September 2021, 19:36)

Donnerstag, 9. September 2021, 20:13

Thanks for the heads up...I bought two Lamptron temp sensors :S

I'm hoping they'll fit the quadro...if not I guess I'll look at the Phobya temp sensors. Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

Edit: If they don't fit, I might try filing them down. :S

They look like they will fit to me. The Corsair ones have a thicker connector body and key slots on one side. Here is a kind of blurry picture of the Corsair 2-pin connector next to a Phobya 2-pin connector. Corsair vs Phobya Temp Sensor Connectors Not a great pic but you can see how much beefier the Corsair 2-pin connector is. I was disappointed when I realized these would not fit on my OCTO because I have a bunch of them sitting in a drawer. IIRC, Corsair incudes 4 temp sensors when you buy a Commander Pro (because it has 4 temp sensor inputs). It's like the only thing Corsair does better than Aquacomputer. Good luck and please do post if the Lamptron ones fit.

P.C.Zen

Donnerstag, 9. September 2021, 20:58

They look like they will fit to me. The Corsair ones have a thicker connector body and key slots on one side. Here is a kind of blurry picture of the Corsair 2-pin connector next to a Phobya 2-pin connector. Corsair vs Phobya Temp Sensor Connectors Not a great pic but you can see how much beefier the Corsair 2-pin connector is. I was disappointed when I realized these would not fit on my OCTO because I have a bunch of them sitting in a drawer. IIRC, Corsair incudes 4 temp sensors when you buy a Commander Pro (because it has 4 temp sensor inputs). It's like the only thing Corsair does better than Aquacomputer. Good luck and please do post if the Lamptron ones fit.
Thanks again :0)

That's really reassuring; I was thinking the difference in connector size must just have been very slight. The photo gives me more confidence that the Lamptron sensors will fit, and yes I'll post back here to let the forum know if they do or not.

I should be receiving the Quadro along with a High Flow Next from Aquatuning when they get the High Flow Next back in stock; Aquatuning have told me they're expecting stock of the High Flow Next on the 17th September, so they should ship the Quadro etc. out to me around that time and once it reaches me (here in the U.K.) I'll test it out. :thumbup:

...so yeah, probably at the very least a week and a half until I can report back, but I'll be sure to do so.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »P.C.Zen« (9. September 2021, 21:00)

P.C.Zen

Dienstag, 14. September 2021, 19:15

Hi guys, sorry for the double post but just to let you know delivery of the High Flow Next has been pushed back to the 20th of October, so...it's going to be a little longer before I can report back about the thermal sensor compatibility.

Sorry about that. :rolleyes:

Remayz

Dienstag, 14. September 2021, 23:40

the nerves of those people... asking questions and being late at reporting back..

P.C.Zen

Donnerstag, 13. Januar 2022, 14:09

Hi guys :0)

It's been a while...the High Flow Next was pushed back again and it kind of led me to getting side-tracked.

But, I can confirm the Lamptron, LAMP-TS701 temp sensor is compatible with the Octo. :)

Remayz

Donnerstag, 13. Januar 2022, 15:36

Any 10Kohms PTC sensor will work. Pretty much all sensors sold for computers are that type, so you can use any you like. That goes for water temperature ones too. Plug types, in-line types.. get what looks best :p

P.C.Zen

Donnerstag, 13. Januar 2022, 19:56

Yeah, they look like just standard connectors for this type; I think Speedy-VI just had one with an odd form-factor.

Donnerstag, 13. Januar 2022, 22:37

Thanks for reporting back that the Lamptron temp sensor 2-pin connector will fit on the Quadro (and Octo).

Corsair is well known for having proprietary connectors on their products. As you can see from the photo I posted earlier, the 2-pin connector they use on their 10k temp sensors is way too thick to plug into the center temp ports on an Octo or Quadro. It's also keyed on one side. The Commander Pro mating receptacle for the temp sensor connector is recessed in the chassis so the pins are protected. They don't stick up above the chassis surface like the Octo and Quadro. That is why the 2-pin connector on the Corsair sensor cable is so much thicker than the Aquacomputer, Dark Side, and Lamptron sensors. All of the connectors on a Commander Pro are recessed and keyed. I guess Corsair felt that they had to make it idiot proof, since idiots tend to buy their products. (Just kidding, sort of, and personally guilty of buying numerous Corsair products before I learned better). :rolleyes: