Fan 2 = Top Left Case
Fan 3 = Top Right Case
Fan 4 = Bottom Right Case
Fan 5 =Bottom Left Case
Fan 6 = Coolant Pump
Fan 7 = Radiator A Fans
Fan 8 = Radiator B Fans

Case Fans are all identical EZDIY Fab Moonlight fans
Radiator Fans are Arctic P12 PWM PST(3 per radiator)
Coolant Pump is a EKWB Quantum FLT DDC

I have Fan 1 set to a curve controlled by Water Temp Delta with all others set to use Fan 1 as control.

Everything works as expected as with one exception which I dientified whilst confirming which fan was connected where.

The Fan connected to Fan 1 on the OCTO is always spinning even when switched to Power Preset and set to 0% despite the RPM in Aquasuite showing as 0RPM

The other (identical) Fans when set to 0% power spindown as expected.

If I take any of Fans 2-5 and switch them to Fan 1 header they all exhibit the above behavior. ie they dont spin down when Power Preset =0% although Indicated RPM is 0RPM

Also the fan normally connected to Fan Header 1 behaves as expected when connected to any other Fan Header ie it spins down when Power Preset =0%

Sonntag, 10. Oktober 2021, 17:46

I Googled the EZDIY Fab Moonlight fans and found them on Amazon. I think these are cheapo 3-pin DC fans - not PWM controlled, which is part of the reason that a 6-pack of them with an RGB controller only costs $50. The Octo is designed to control PWM fans only. The Octo product page states, "All fan outputs are only suitable for PWM fans with four-pole connection plugs and are protected against overload.". I think the aquaero is the only Aquacomputer controller that can control 3-pin DC fans. A 3-pin DC fan will spin no matter where you set the speed because it is always getting 12VDC power from the Octo PWM fan port. Aquasuite (AQS) will report 0RPM fan speed because the DC fan does not send a tach signal to the fan port (because there is no 4th wire).

Your RAD fans and pump will work fine because they are all PWM controlled and have 4-pin power connectors on them. I am not convinced that ANY of the EZDIY Fab Moonlight fans are working properly. If they are all 3-pin DC fans, they should all do exactly what you describe for Octo fan port 1 - never stop regardless of speed setting and show 0RPM in AQS. Since the fans are not reporting speed, you really can't tell what their speed is. My guess is they are running at max speed all the time. I am not sure why case fans 2 though 5 spin down when speed is set to 0% but case fan 1 does not. There is nothing special about fan port 1 on the Octo so it may just be an anomaly with this one fan.

The short answer is that if these are 3-pin DC fans, they are not going to work properly when connected to a PWM ONLY fan port on an Octo PWM fan controller,

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Speedy-VI« (11. Oktober 2021, 19:28)

Sonntag, 10. Oktober 2021, 18:52

I Googled the EZDIY Fab Moonlight fans and found them on Amazon. I think these are cheapo 3-pin DC fans - not PWM controlled, which is part of the reason that a 6-pack of them with an RGB controller only costs $50. The Octo is designed to control PWM fans only. The Octo product page states, "All fan outputs are only suitable for PWM fans with four-pole connection plugs and are protected against overload.". I think the aquaero is the only Aquacomputer controller that can control 3-pin DC fans. A 3-pin DC fan will spin no matter where you set the speed because it is always getting 12VDC power from the Octo PWM fan port. Aquasuite (AQS) will report 0RPM fan speed because the DC fan does not send a tach signal to the fan port (because there is no 4th wire).

These are most definitely PWM fans :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08LKRNJTS/

I'm only experiencing the issue with any of the EZDIY fans connected to Fan Header 1 (admittedly I havent yet tried the Arctics on there)

The EZDIY fans connected to Fan Headers 2-5 work exactly as expected

Montag, 11. Oktober 2021, 19:38

These are most definitely PWM fans :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08LKRNJTS/

I'm only experiencing the issue with any of the EZDIY fans connected to Fan Header 1 (admittedly I havent yet tried the Arctics on there)

The EZDIY fans connected to Fan Headers 2-5 work exactly as expected

OK my bad When I Googled the fans what I found on Amazon were DC fans. Your link is to PWM fans. Since they are PWM fans, it sounds like your Octo Fan Port 1 has a problem. I guess start and RMA. Good luck!

Montag, 11. Oktober 2021, 19:54

OK my bad When I Googled the fans what I found on Amazon were DC fans. Your link is to PWM fans. Since they are PWM fans, it sounds like your Octo Fan Port 1 has a problem. I guess start and RMA. Good luck!
That's the bit I was worried about ;o)

I'm 99% certain it was working before the latest software update although this is the first time I've specifically checked as I've had a rebuild (been running this since earlier this year)

Dienstag, 12. Oktober 2021, 08:15

What happens if you define your own curve controller on other channels, or set PWM to 0% manually?
With PWM fans there are different behaviors at 0% PWM, normally they go to 100% power, which would make the behavior of the fan on port 1 look normal for now.
I think that by taking the controller from port 1, the OCTO controls the other ports differently.
But that's just a guess that would have to be checked.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Es gibt keinen Ausweg, den ein Mensch nicht beschreitet, um die tatsächliche Arbeit des Denkens zu vermeiden.
Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931), amerik. Erfinder

Mittwoch, 13. Oktober 2021, 00:43

What happens if you define your own curve controller on other channels, or set PWM to 0% manually?
With PWM fans there are different behaviors at 0% PWM, normally they go to 100% power, which would make the behavior of the fan on port 1 look normal for now.
I think that by taking the controller from port 1, the OCTO controls the other ports differently.
But that's just a guess that would have to be checked.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
SO what I found when I was testing it was.

If I unlinked all the other fans & pump from Fan Header 1 (ie they were all controlled individually) then whichever of the 5 identical fans I connected to Fan Header 1 gave the same behaviour

ie if I connect any of the 5 EZDIY fans to Fan Header 1 and set the Power Preset to 0% then although Aquasuite reports 0RPM the fan is still turning

Using any of the 5 EZDIY fans on Fan Headers 2-5 then if I set their power presets to 0% then Aquasuite reports 0RPM and the fan spins down to a stop as expected

Actually something else I've noticed in regards to Fan Header 1 is that whichever of the 5 EZDIY fans is connected it always seems to spin at a constant speed regardless of power level

Intersting, in the screenshot I have 1 to 5 all on individual Power Presets of 100% but Fan1 is showing a much lower speed. Need to (when I have some more free time) swap them around again and see if the other Fans on there do the same thing

NB I note Fan 2 also seems to be reporting a lower speed ( am aware there will be some variance between individual fans), again something else to furter look at to see if that symptom stays on the header or if it moves with the fan

Screenshot

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LnqFZpmk8Lph8V54A

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »WinstonWoof« (13. Oktober 2021, 00:49)

Mittwoch, 13. Oktober 2021, 01:02

footnote:

it appears ttat if I set the Power % on Fan Header 1 to anything from 1-100% it always reports the same speed (which from a comparison with "how it looks" when the other EZDIY fans are spinning at just over 600rpm seems to be the speed the fan is at all the time.

At 0% it reports 0RPM but is still spinning at a visually unchnaged speed

Mittwoch, 13. Oktober 2021, 01:07

and its also really annoying that you cant install an older version (I'm currently on X.44) to rule out an obscure software issue

Mittwoch, 13. Oktober 2021, 07:59

I do not suspect a software error, then there would be more messages about it.
With your description, I would guess either the OCTO or the fans, but more likely the OCTO.

If you have other fans at hand, you can check it again, but I now also think that it runs out on a RMA.

Just contact the support: support@aqua-computer.de
Es gibt keinen Ausweg, den ein Mensch nicht beschreitet, um die tatsächliche Arbeit des Denkens zu vermeiden.
Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931), amerik. Erfinder

octo fan

Mittwoch, 13. Oktober 2021, 10:07

I've worked with that case before, and it's fans shouldn't be giving you this much trouble. That said, they are a few years old now, and may be going bad. If you have a spare fan lying around, you could plug it into a header that theR3's fans are using now. If the spare fan works, then simply replace the fans.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »iris mark« (18. Oktober 2021, 10:38)

Mittwoch, 13. Oktober 2021, 15:35

**SIGH** guess I'm going to have to play the who do I contact shuffle.

www.aquatuning.co.uk who I bought the Octo from back in May (as Aquacomputer at the time and maybe currently) don't ship to the UK or direct with Aquacomputer?

Either way it has to be the Octo (or more remotely but unlikely the software) as any fan, whether thats one of the arctic P12s, the EZDY or the corsairs I had lying around all exhibit the same symptoms

ie any fan connected to Fan Header 1 runs at a fixed speed of around 600RPM regardless of Power input % and when set to 0% power continues to spin at that fixed speed even though the software reports 0RPM

Remayz

Mittwoch, 13. Oktober 2021, 16:23

support@aqua-computer.de

if aquatuning doesn't ship to the UK, it may be best to go directly with AC.

Mittwoch, 13. Oktober 2021, 16:43

support@aqua-computer.de

if aquatuning doesn't ship to the UK, it may be best to go directly with AC.

its the other way around, Aquacomputer don't (or didn't) ship to the UK hence why I had to go via a 3rd party :)

Remayz

Mittwoch, 13. Oktober 2021, 16:57

oh duh.. me learns to read ze engliche :P

Mittwoch, 13. Oktober 2021, 17:20

oh duh.. me learns to read ze engliche :P

you're doing better than I do with German :thumbup:

Remayz

Mittwoch, 13. Oktober 2021, 19:55

i'm not even german but i am overworked hehe

Donnerstag, 14. Oktober 2021, 11:57

ok so mail fired over to the support address above summarising the issue as follows

------------------

Have had my Octo since May2021 and love both it and the associated
Aquasuite software.

Recently though I have observed that any fan (I've used multiple fans
from Arctic, EZDIY & Corsair) connected to Fan Header 1 runs at a
fixed speed regardless of Power input % and when set to 0% power
continues to spin at that fixed speed even though the software reports
0RPM.

Same fans connected to any other Fan Header behave as expected.

NB at any Power Input % of between 1 & 100% on Fan Header 1 the speed
is always reported as around (depending on the actual fan connected)
600RPM

Dienstag, 19. Oktober 2021, 11:28

Had the following response from Sven @ Aquacomputer

*SIgh* RMA time with Aquatuning (the dealer) however given that probably means being without the Octo for a potentially extended period I may just order another one

--------------

Based on your description the PWM controller of the board must have been damaged. This usually happens by a backwards injected overvoltage. This is nothing that can be fixed by yourself.

I recommend to return the device to your dealer.