• 16.04.2024, 22:50
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Splitty 9 fans diagram (how many splitty9s?)

Mittwoch, 1. Dezember 2021, 09:54

I think this is going to be a properly noob question about fan speed control diagram, but here goes and thanks in advance! I have 3 radiators, with 6 fans each. I want to control each bank of 6 fans separately. Do I need :

A: 1 Splitty9, with 6 3-way fan splitter cables (ie 2 3-way splitter cables, one cable for each of the 3 fans per radiator)?

Or,

B: 3 Splitty9s, where each Splitty9 receives 6 fan cables?

I think I need Option B so as to maintain individual control over each of the respective radiators fan banks, as Option A (if it works) would give me the same speed for all radiator fan banks.

Thanks all :)

Mittwoch, 1. Dezember 2021, 11:27

The question here is what fan controller and what fans will you be using.
Each fan controller has a maximum power per channel and each fan has a power consumption specification.

If your six fans per radiator do not exceed the maximum power of your fan controller, you can connect a radiator to one channel, whether with PWM distribution cables or Splitty 9.

If the 6 fans exceed the maximum power, you need a splitty 9 active per radiator.

All 18 fans on one channel aggravates the situation :-)
Then you should see if the Splitty 9 active can deliver enough power, for most fans a single fan channel will not be able to.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Es gibt keinen Ausweg, den ein Mensch nicht beschreitet, um die tatsächliche Arbeit des Denkens zu vermeiden.
Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931), amerik. Erfinder

Remayz

Mittwoch, 1. Dezember 2021, 11:27

B is obviously what you want for speed control per radiator, but with that many fans it would be better to use active splitty 9 to avoid straining your fan controller's output too much.

Edit : too late :p

Mittwoch, 1. Dezember 2021, 11:43

Thanks guys. For the controller, I will be using Aquaero 6LT. The fans will all be EKWB Varder X3M 120ER D-RGB fans.

Mittwoch, 1. Dezember 2021, 18:10

The EK Vardar Fans dont work with the Splitty9. The problem is, that all Tach Cables are connected together in the Splitty9, and the Vardar Fans dont like that.

As a Workaround, you have to remove the Tach Cables from all Fan connectors (except for the Fan that is connected to the RPM port on the Splitty9)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Hufeisen« (1. Dezember 2021, 18:17)

Remayz

Mittwoch, 1. Dezember 2021, 20:48

why wouldn't they like it? they work fine on splitters. Only one socket has the tach signal on the splitty 9 active and passive.
The 8 other sockets have their tach signals connected together?

Mittwoch, 1. Dezember 2021, 21:41

The EK Vardar Fans dont work with the Splitty9. The problem is, that all Tach Cables are connected together in the Splitty9, and the Vardar Fans dont like that.

As a Workaround, you have to remove the Tach Cables from all Fan connectors (except for the Fan that is connected to the RPM port on the Splitty9)

Hi thanks for the reply, could you elaborate further on this answer? Am not sure I understand why these fans won’t work, or the comments on the tach cables? I was anticipating to connect six fans to each splitty, each fan directly to the splitty, with no daisy chaining. Thanks!

Remayz

Mittwoch, 1. Dezember 2021, 22:32

the older vardar fans like the first noctua PPC industrial had trouble working with splitters because teh PWM signal was getting corrrupted, but the tach signal has nothing to do with it.
The active Splitty 9 has a PWM buffer to deal with that anyway.

But AFAIK, the X3M, and even the older ER end EVO do not have that problem.

Mittwoch, 1. Dezember 2021, 23:07

I was anticipating to connect six fans to each splitty, each fan directly to the splitty,
You can try this. If EK fixed their Fans, it works, if not, you have to make modifications.
But if you run into problems where you cannot control the Fan speed and the Fan Speed increases or decreases at random, you have to remove the 3rd pin from the Fan connector.

Here is an official Reply to this problem from Aquacomputer Staff:
PWM fans on auqaero 6 lt are not working as expected

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Hufeisen« (1. Dezember 2021, 23:16)

Mittwoch, 1. Dezember 2021, 23:59

Ok thanks, so that’s not good reading…! Will have to see once it’s set up as to whether this is going to be an issue for me. It sounds like from the other thread that once the tach wire is cut it all works perfectly, but am not clear how a fan’s speed can be still controlled if the tach wire is cut?

Remayz

Donnerstag, 2. Dezember 2021, 00:49

interesting.It's true cable splitters don't have the tach signals connected at all, only one fan has it; all the others are absent.
Nothing a flush cutter can't solve by snipping the useless pins on the splitty, or cutting the tracks. But that looks like an unusual oversight fron Aquacomputer too, even if the fans shouldn't behave like that either. There's no functional need to run a track to those 8 unused pins, or to ground them. They should have been left floating.

As for the speed control, the controller reads only one fan speed from the fan connected to the socket with "RPM" marked.
The PWM signal is the same for all the fans (that's why these are sometimes called PWM repeaters), so, if the fans are the same model, they will run at the same speed.

Donnerstag, 2. Dezember 2021, 04:29

interesting.It's true cable splitters don't have the tach signals connected at all, only one fan has it; all the others are absent.
Nothing a flush cutter can't solve by snipping the useless pins on the splitty, or cutting the tracks. But that looks like an unusual oversight fron Aquacomputer too, even if the fans shouldn't behave like that either. There's no functional need to run a track to those 8 unused pins, or to ground them. They should have been left floating.

As for the speed control, the controller reads only one fan speed from the fan connected to the socket with "RPM" marked.
The PWM signal is the same for all the fans (that's why these are sometimes called PWM repeaters), so, if the fans are the same model, they will run at the same speed.

The splitty9 has an aquabus splitter option, so all pins 3 need to be contiguous for when that option is selected.
The splitty9 active may not have all pins 3 connected, but that is not discussed in the manual.

Donnerstag, 2. Dezember 2021, 11:53

It’s a shame this is not mentioned in the Splitty9 product details or manual. But will try the clipped pin method if this becomes an issue for me.

Donnerstag, 2. Dezember 2021, 12:02

It's not a fault of the Splitty 9 after all, but a fault of the fans.
Why should this then appear in the Splitty's manual?
Only fans that do not adhere to the applicable standards have this problem.
Es gibt keinen Ausweg, den ein Mensch nicht beschreitet, um die tatsächliche Arbeit des Denkens zu vermeiden.

Donnerstag, 2. Dezember 2021, 12:49

It’s a shame this is not mentioned in the Splitty9 product details or manual. But will try the clipped pin method if this becomes an issue for me.

The splitty 9 and splitty9 active are two different devices.
The splitty9 product page & manual do give notice all pins 3 are connected with the exception of port RPM when the jumper is removed.

Zitat

By setting the jumper to the “aquabus” position, all four
aquabus signal lines are forwarded to all black connectors.

The splitty9 active does not have an aquabus option, but it does require a SATA power lead.
Not having the aquabus option, there may not be connections between any of the pins 3 on the PWM ports, but it does not state that explicitly.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »InfoSeeker« (2. Dezember 2021, 16:17)

Donnerstag, 2. Dezember 2021, 14:45

Thanks, yes I read that manual but it was not clear (to me at least) in the text. It reads as if 3 and 4 pin are compatible (notwithstanding the comments that the ‘fault’ is with the fan and not the splitty9, but AC might mention known compatibility issues with major fan manufacturer products in the product literature perhaps)

As mentioned it’s not a big deal to remove pins on the splitty headers. Will let you guys know how I get on :)

Remayz

Donnerstag, 2. Dezember 2021, 14:53

Now that i see how it works with Aquabus, it's clearer.
It would be tough for AC to add that mention to the manual.
It may work with 2 fans.. or 3.. maybe not with 4 or more, what models exactly.. and what if the manufacturer changes the fan controller etc.. so it's totally on the fan manufacturer really.
And for one or two models, not worth respinning a new PCB to solve the issue

Donnerstag, 2. Dezember 2021, 15:07

Yep fair enough.

Freitag, 3. Dezember 2021, 10:44

So I am new to this area of pc builds, can anyone explain how this works in more detail? Is it that the RPM signal tells the aquaero controller how fast the fans are rotating, and then the aquaero uses this information to adjust the power to the fans accordingly? And this is why only one of the fans needs to report an RPM? Ie, the RPM is not the signal that directly controls a fan's speed, it's the power signal that does this. Thanks, sorry for all the questions! :)

Freitag, 3. Dezember 2021, 10:57

The RPM signal is a pure output and therefore cannot control the fan, the PWM signal is used to control the fans.
Of course you can use the RPM signal to control the PWM signal and thus control the fan by speed.

Only one RPM signal can be returned, because the signals of all fans together would no longer make sense.