• 18.04.2024, 22:38
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Octo firmware update in VM fails...

Samstag, 15. Januar 2022, 14:56

In the past I have used the Aquaero 5 and 6LT, have been away from the hobby for awhile, am now running aircooled but wanted to get back in the game and bought a Octo to start with.
Am running Linux Mint and I know all about the problems, so I am running a Windows 10 VM, in which the Octo is recognised both by Windows and Aquasuite. When I load Aquasuite X.47 I get the message that I need to update the firmware of the device. When I start the firmware update the LED on the Octo starts flashing error (maybe this is normal when updating the firmware?) and shortly thereafter Aquasuite tells me that the update failed.
I have tried putting the Octo on different headers on my motherboard, I have nothing connected to it besides power and the USB cable. I don't have another computer to try and update with. Is it the VM that is causing my problem? If so, I haven't read much about it. Many people seem to be running Aquacomputer devices in a VM, so if that works, why shouldn't the fimware update work?
Best Regards,
Johan

Sonntag, 16. Januar 2022, 05:21

Ok, so it would seem that either noone has encountered this problem before me, noone is interested in helping or the answer is something obvious that I should have seen, but didn't, or since using a VM isn't officially supported I'm on my own.

Anyway, for whatever it's worth I'm gonna post how I solved the problem, maybe it can help someone else when they encounter the same issue, or it will just get buried amongst the other threads in the forum.
What I did was to download the Windows 10 ISO File:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software…ad/windows10ISO
Then i downloaded WinToUSB:
https://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/
WinToUSB uses the ISO image to create a Windows 10 installation on the USB drive, you can then run Windows 10 directly from the USB drive. Doing that, I had no problems updating the firmware on the Octo and now it works just fine running Aquasuite X.47 on my Windows 10 VM under Linux Mint.
Hopefully this can help somebody else someday...until Linux support has been implemented this is one way of doing it.

Sonntag, 16. Januar 2022, 19:37

Thanks for posting this very clever solution. I am sorry that no one jumped in to help you. I have never tried to update firmware with Aquasuite (AQS) running in a VM so I had no advice to offer you. I think most people using AQS either have another computer or a Windows laptop laying around, so they just use that if they have to update firmware. Your solution is a good one and I have tagged it for reference. Glad you were able to resolve the issue.

Remayz

Sonntag, 16. Januar 2022, 19:44

the subject was brought up a few months back. I think it's just not supported if i remembre well. it's somewhere in the forum, maybe in the main aquasuite thread..