• 16.04.2024, 15:05
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Aquasuite avoid noisy spin up/down around start point

Montag, 17. Januar 2022, 12:27

I'm sure some one must have asked a similar question, but I think I'm entering the wrong search terms into Google and the forum.

I have an Octo with a temperature probe to measure the case temperature and two case fans connected.

I've set up a simple curve where the fan speed gradually increases with the temperature. This seems to work fine. If I'm just surfing the web, the case temp will stay low and the fans will not spin. If I'm running a game or doing some AI things, the case is heating enough and the fans spin up just fine.

However, there are combinations of activities that I can perform on my computer where the load on the machine will make it so the case temperature is close to the start point of the fans. At that point, the fans can start to spin up and down every 10 or 20 seconds. This makes a very annoying noise.

I've tried to lower or raise the start point and adjust the curve, but this just moves the problem to another "load-point".

What are my options to reduce this? I've tried running without start boost, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea for my fans and the reliability of the system in general (Noctua fans)?
Is there some way to put some kind of hysteresis on the curve? Or to increase it (I suspect there is already something like that implemented behind the scenes)

Remayz

Montag, 17. Januar 2022, 13:23

make your fan curve start at a low temperature your room will never reach? like 15°C?

You can also add hysteresis with the virtual sensors, creating a virtual temperature output. use your real sensor as input and add a filter in between input and output, like, averaging for x seconds.

Then set your fan curve to be controlled by this averaged virtual sensor and bob's your uncle.

Start boost is useless with PWM fans. it's mostly good for 3 pin DC fans set to run at low speeds. They sometimes require a little help to get spinning because of the low supply voltage.

Mittwoch, 19. Januar 2022, 17:20

Thanks, those are some good ideas to try.

Donnerstag, 20. Januar 2022, 14:40

One way to address the fan control issue is to use the 'Input' function:
  • create an input object to place on your desktop and attach to the fan curve {input.jpg}
  • when temp is in acceptable range, leave the 'Input' at zero {normal.jpg}
  • when temp is at the curve switch range, adjust the 'Input' up or down to activate/deactivate the fans {adjusted.jpg}
By adding/subtracting from the fan curve source, you shift the curve into a on/off range.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »InfoSeeker« (20. Januar 2022, 14:43)