• 24.04.2024, 01:01
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

'Desktop' display mode not working

Dienstag, 1. März 2022, 13:46

Just bought a Quad, sold to me partly on the Desktop gauge display mode shown in Youtube movies. Sadly, it does not work on my system. When I press the button the gauges disappear from the Aquasuite window replaced by a message saying they are on the Desktop, however they are not visible.

I am using Windows 11 fully updated and I have the desktop extended over three monitors one of which is a small (1280x400) display on the computer case, which is where I want the gauges. I can manually drag the Aquasuite window on to this monitor and maximise it. This is fine except the unwanted menu panel takes about a quarter of the available space. I can manually adjust the window size and drag it to the side so the menu panel is off-screen, but this is a faff because it is not persistent and keeps needing to be readjusted. A way to hide the menu panel might actually serve my needs better, but I would like to try desktop mode to get rid of all the unwanted elements.

Dienstag, 1. März 2022, 14:15

you have to move the screen element in edit mode to the correct desktop position in the aquasuite.
Post screnshots from your workflow.

Remayz

Dienstag, 1. März 2022, 14:59

click the edge of the menu panel and it folds (along where the vertical aquacomputer logo is)

Dienstag, 1. März 2022, 16:35

click the edge of the menu panel and it folds (along where the vertical aquacomputer logo is)
Thanks Remayz. Sodding graphics designers strike again! The triangle that is supposed to cue us to that functionality is composed of grey dots on a marginally darker grey ground - almost invisible to my aged eyes!

Dienstag, 1. März 2022, 17:00

you have to move the screen element in edit mode to the correct desktop position in the aquasuite.
Post screnshots from your workflow.
Thanks - I think I am working it out, my gauges were in a region of the virtual screen not existing on any of the physical screens. I need to find a program which will give me the virtual co-ordinates of my physical screens. However, my understanding is that any screen to the left of the main screen has negative virtual coordinates and the settings for items will not accept negative values for X or Y?

I want the gauges on screen 3 which I believe has a negative X origin and a positive Y - but I am not sure! I think 0,0 is top left of screen 2 (the 'main' display) - but again not sure!

It would be a lot easier if the 'Overview page configuration' allowed setting the origin coordinates, preferably either to a x,y value OR to the origin of a specified screen. Then the Aquasuite origin could be offset to match the desired 'desktop' origin and we wouldn't have to leave masses of clear space to the top and/or left of the work area. This solution would also obviate the need for negative coordinates in Aquasuite (except for the offsets themselves).

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »JohnHind« (1. März 2022, 17:05)

Mittwoch, 2. März 2022, 08:02

. I need to find a program which will give me the virtual co-ordinates of my physical screens. However, my understanding is that any screen to the left of the main screen has negative virtual coordinates and the settings for items will not accept negative values for X or Y?
When you edit a aquasuite desktop page, you see a screenshot from all your screens. you have to move your elements to the correct screen position, scroll down or left.
Make a few screenshots from your aquasuite and your desktop. Windows have some problem when you use different dpi scales.

Mittwoch, 2. März 2022, 15:52

When you edit a aquasuite desktop page, you see a screenshot from all your screens. you have to move your elements to the correct screen position, scroll down or left.
Make a few screenshots from your aquasuite and your desktop. Windows have some problem when you use different dpi scales.
OK, this is my latest attempt:
Sorry it is fuzzy, your website refused to upload the full resolution version (giving an unhelpful, misleading error message incidentally). The screenshot is the entire virtual screen. Physical screen 1 (3840x2160, 150%) has 'Display Settings' maximised. Physical screen 2 (2160x3840, 150%) is the 'main display' showing 'Winspector' maximised. Physical screen 3 (1280x400, 100%) has 'Aquasuite' maximised. Note that I moved screen 3 to a new position specifically so it has positive virtual coordinates.

Winspector reports the rectangles and sizes of the windows (bottom right pane), but I cannot screenshot these as operating the screenshot changes the selected window. They are as follows:

Screen 1: Display Settings -3840, 0, -1280, 1440 (2560x1440)
Screen 2 ('main'): Winspector 0, 0, 1444, 2519 (1444x2519)
Screen 3: Aquasuite 0, 3840, 1280, 4240 (1280x400)

Note that the origin positions of the three screens are as expected, with the 'main' screen at 0,0 and negative x values to the left of this screen. But the sizes of the 150% screens seem to be scaled. However screen 3 has exactly the position and size expected.

In Aquasuite, I created a new Overview page and placed a sensor gauge:
Note there is a bug here - after entering off screen coordinates for the gauge, the canvass did not move so this was on screen and no scroll bar appears. I had to lock and unlock the page whereupon the scroll bar appeared and I could manually scroll down to show the gauge.

At this point after checking the coordinates so carefully, I was quite confident the gauge would show up at top left of screen 3. This was the actual, disappointing, result:
No gauge anywhere on any of the screens (I cropped screen 1 to save space, but take my word for it, it is not there either!

I tried moving the Y position of the gauge up by increments of 400 all the way back to 0,0 but still it did not appear. It is very hard to understand why it does not appear even when it is unambiguously on the 'main' screen!

I did see the gauge yesterday in desktop mode with it positioned at 0,0 and the main screen being the only screen. Also with screen 3 the main screen and positioned top left of the virtual screen the gauge was on screen though displaced by about half a screen vertically and horizontally from the expected position.

Mittwoch, 2. März 2022, 16:56

Open the Aquasuite Window and resize it so it covers all the screen, even all the way down to your vertical screen. Part of it will be in an inaccessible area. Not sure if Windows will allow you to size the Window into an inaccessible area, but you can try.

Also, I can reproduce that dragging an item further down as the actual available screen hight would allow, are can be fidgety. The dragged item keeps jumping up a bit, but it does extend the vertical space everytime, even though not really consistently.

But maybe you can simply export the display page into a .page file and open this with an editor. It's basically a XML file. You can edit the coordinates and everything else in there manually. That can help a lot sometimes.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Grestorn« (2. März 2022, 16:57)

Intel 12900K - Asus Maximus z690 Formula - 2x16 GB G.Skill DDR5 6000/36 - NVidia RTX 4090 FE
Acer Predator x27 - Thermaltake Core P5 - Corsair HX850i
-> Bilder und weitere Details <-

Mittwoch, 2. März 2022, 18:52

As you suggested, I expanded the Aquasuite window to span all three screens, so the Page design canvass fills nearly the whole virtual desktop (minus the menu bar to the left and the title bar at the top). I created a new gauge and dragged it onto screen 3:

Note that collapsing the menu bar moves the gauge, but it remains on screen 3. Also the screenshot is showing the original gauge bottom left, but it is not actually visible since there is no screen there.

This is all very well, but the gauge is still not visible when I switch to Desktop mode.

There is clearly something that is not right with how Aquasuite maps coordinates on the design canvass (origin 0,0; positive only) to the virtual desktop coordinates (0,0 at top left of 'main' screen, may be negative if there are screens to the left or above).

Remayz

Mittwoch, 2. März 2022, 19:00

out of curiosity, what prevents you from setting screen 3 above screen 1 on your layout? If negative values are a problem, it seems like the obvious solution

Mittwoch, 2. März 2022, 21:24

What would be nice is if Aquasuite had a more intuitive (& Graphical) way of letting you Select which desktop and where on that desktop the variou selements are displayed.

EG DisplayX Monitors in a task bar/breadcrumb view a la Display Properties but smaller)

Select Monitor to work with

Edit layout in Main Window below Task Bar

Select 2nd Monitor

Edit Layout for Monitor 2

rinse and repeat as often as necessary

Mittwoch, 2. März 2022, 23:12

out of curiosity, what prevents you from setting screen 3 above screen 1 on your layout? If negative values are a problem, it seems like the obvious solution
I already rearranged it so screen 3 has positive coordinates, but it still does not work for some reason I do not understand. If screen 3 was above screen 1, it would have negative Y coordinates unless it was also the 'main' screen and that does not work for me because then the task bar would be on it. The lack of support for negative coordinates is a clue that they have not fully thought out multiple monitors, but sadly avoiding them is not a work-around.

Mittwoch, 2. März 2022, 23:17

What would be nice is if Aquasuite had a more intuitive (& Graphical) way of letting you Select which desktop and where on that desktop the variou selements are displayed.
Yes, they could simply size the canvass to the size of the entire virtual screen and show outlines of the physical screens on it (in edit mode only).

Suggestion - Add a Global [x,y] offset to all items in an overview page

Donnerstag, 3. März 2022, 02:42

The following may be a little off subject but I think may be relevant to OPs efforts and this discussion.

TLDR - I think it would be very helpful to have the ability to select multiple items (or just all items) in an overview page and then be able to enter a Global [x.y] pixel offset. For example, if I move the display that the overview page drives in the Windows raster for whatever reason, every item in the overview page has to have it's coordinates updated one by one. It would be much easier to be able to relocate the entire overview page with a single Global [x,y] Offset command.

I went through something very similar to what OP is doing now. I have 2 screens that are both 1920x 1080. They sit side by side and the left one is the Main screen in Windows. I don't have anything to the left of it so I did not run into negative coordinate issues. I added a small stat display screen that is 1024x600. In the Windows raster, this screen's upper left pixel is at [3841,1] and it's lower right hand pixel is at [4865,600]. I built an overview page for this stat display and set everything up based on this location in the Windows raster. So far so good. While I was setting up the stat display, I moved it around in the Windows raster several times because I kept having programs (including Aquasuite) open on the stat screen display instead of the Windows main display or the other large display next to the main display. HWINFO and Explorer windows would open on the stat display sometimes too. Most of the time these programs would open on the same screen as they were running on previously but they were "jumping" to the stat screen often enough to be annoying. I don't know if this is a program bug or a Windows issue or a graphics driver issue. I thought that maybe if I relocated the stat display in the Window raster so it was to the far right, program windows would stop jumping to it. Every time I moved the stat display in the Windows raster, I had to then edit the coordinates of every item in the overview page, one by one which was a PITA.

Then I bought another stat display that is 1920x480. This one ended up in portrait orientation sitting to the right of the 1024x600 stat display in the Windows raster. It's upper left pixel is at [4865,1] and its lower right hand pixel is at [5345,1920]. When I added the second stat display (1920x480) I originally had it in landscape orientation. I built an overview page for it based on this, and I experimented with where to put it in the Windows raster. Later I decided to mount it vertically so I had to re-do the overview page for portrait orientation. Here is a LINK to where all my displays are currently located in the Windows raster and a LINK to what it looks like physically. My overview page for these displays includes all items for both displays because you can only send one overview page at a time to a display, which in my case is actually 2 displays. Since I put the stat displays where they are now I have not had programs or Windows stuff jumping to them other than when I am updating graphics drivers. Things usually go back to where they should be after a reboot.

Eventually I will move this rig into the "every day work computer" position in my office. It will be connected to 5 existing displays plus the 2 stat displays. I will have to decide where to put the 2 stat displays in the Windows raster along with the other 5 regular displays. After I make that decision, I will have to update the coordinates of every item that appears on the 2 stat displays. This is why I suggested to the AQS devs that they could add a "global offset" to the Settings menu of multiple devices selected at once (or maybe just all devices in the overview page). You would enter a global x and y coordinate and every selected item would move that many pixels from where it is. This would make it very easy to update overview pages when the display they drive gets rearranged in the Windows raster for whatever reason. I think it would be easy to implement and really hope they add this ability. I think what JohnHind and WinstonWoof are suggesting are similar but more advanced than a relatively simple Global Offset. The larger point in that manipulating the coordinates of items in overview pages could be improved. They do have grid and snap, and you can drag and drop, but if you want things set up precisely, you will end up typing in coordinates. My overview page for these 2 stat screens has over 50 items and having to enter coordinates item by item to move the page in the Windows raster is very tedious and time consuming. A Global [x,y] Offset command would make this very easy to do

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Speedy-VI« (3. März 2022, 02:46)

Donnerstag, 3. März 2022, 07:30

You have to activate the Desktop Mode AND the edit mode.
Than you have a screenshot from all your Displays and you can move the items to the correct location.

Donnerstag, 3. März 2022, 19:49

Nope!

The desktop should look like this:

The canvass in Aquasuite with both desktop and edit modes selected:

As above, edit mode deselected:

Note that in the second and third screenshots both have Aquasuite expanded as much as possible over all three screens. Screen 1 is only showing the bottom quarter or so, screen 2 only the left quarter and missing desktop icons and the taskbar is displaced relative to the wallpaper, screen 3 is intact but displaced from its actual position relative to 1 and 2 and is missing its wallpaper. The gauge shows in edit mode but disappears when edit mode is deselected. I also tried with the gauge positioned at the right side of screen 3, but it still does not show when edit mode is off.

Freitag, 4. März 2022, 07:14

This looks like an issue with different display scalings. We cant solve that. you have to try and find out the correct location for your display and the position.
i would try here:

Otherwise you have to change your layout from your Monitor configurations.

Freitag, 4. März 2022, 08:51

EG DisplayX Monitors in a task bar/breadcrumb view a la Display Properties but smaller)

Select Monitor to work with

Edit layout in Main Window below Task Bar

Select 2nd Monitor

Edit Layout for Monitor 2

rinse and repeat as often as necessary

This is the sort of thing I mean.

So rther than having to worry about negative & positive offsets etc the number of monitors is displayed across the top and the slected one is highlighted.

Everything is then relative to that monitor only

why doesnt my image show up directly above this sentence, its wrapped in the [ I M G ] tags as per clicking the insert picture option??

http://sharetheexperience.co.uk/upload/Aquasuite_Mockup.png

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »WinstonWoof« (4. März 2022, 08:52)

Freitag, 4. März 2022, 16:38

That would be better, but I'd do it this way:

The screen icon on the overview page would spawn the gauges on that page off to their own window. You could then drag that window to any position on the desktop using the ordinary OS window positioning features (which we know work!). When you took the page out of edit mode, the window frame would be removed and the window background made transparent so it became part of the desktop. Putting it back into edit mode (in the Aquasuite menu pane) would show the window frame again allowing it to be repositioned (and edited).

You would be able to have multiple pages showing in multiple windows on the desktop. This would give full flexibility since you could have one page per monitor, one page spanning multiple monitors, or several pages in different positions on one monitor.

For the moment, I've wasted much to much time on this and it is clear that I cannot have a layout that works around the bugs in Aquasuite and also works for me generally. I will simply position the main Aquasuite window on my small monitor and hide the menu bar. Not ideal, but good enough!
;(

Remayz

Freitag, 4. März 2022, 17:26

keep it simple ^^

Besides, on my end at least, i've seen that the overlay uses more CPU and GPU time than the main window.