• 18.04.2024, 15:12
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Is it possible to make a liveliness watchdog in Playground?

Donnerstag, 11. August 2022, 04:29

Had a weird failure today: My D5 Next stopped updating the temperature that it was reporting to aquasuite but was working normally aside from that. It responded to inputs from aquasuite, and it showed the correct temperature on its display, but the temperature it was reporting back to the computer was stuck. When I noticed, I tried restarting the service and that had no effect. Rebooting the PC fixed it.

I have all of the fans keyed to this temperature. That means when this temperature is incorrect, the loop itself could overheat. This failure mode also means that the aquasuite service does not change the sensor to its fallback value because aquasuite thinks everything is operating normally.

I was thinking that one way to make this a safer failure in the future would be to set a watchdog timer which would change the temp to a fallback value if the sensor value has not changed over a specified time interval, like 30 seconds. When things are operating correctly, there will always be some level of variation in temperature. What happened today was it was stuck at exactly 38.08C for several hours.

Is this watchdog something that could be performed via the Playground?

RE: Is it possible to make a liveliness watchdog in Playground?

Donnerstag, 11. August 2022, 08:16

Had a weird failure today: My D5 Next stopped updating the temperature that it was reporting to aquasuite but was working normally aside from that. It responded to inputs from aquasuite, and it showed the correct temperature on its display, but the temperature it was reporting back to the computer was stuck. When I noticed, I tried restarting the service and that had no effect. Rebooting the PC fixed it.

I have all of the fans keyed to this temperature. That means when this temperature is incorrect, the loop itself could overheat. This failure mode also means that the aquasuite service does not change the sensor to its fallback value because aquasuite thinks everything is operating normally.

I was thinking that one way to make this a safer failure in the future would be to set a watchdog timer which would change the temp to a fallback value if the sensor value has not changed over a specified time interval, like 30 seconds. When things are operating correctly, there will always be some level of variation in temperature. What happened today was it was stuck at exactly 38.08C for several hours.

Is this watchdog something that could be performed via the Playground?

I love getting my little grey cells working in the morning:)

So this is a quick stab at a watchdog sensor that I think will do what you have asked for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxoOKzBpcnA

Donnerstag, 11. August 2022, 14:13

Wow - awesome!

This is perfect. Thank you!

Donnerstag, 11. August 2022, 15:44

Wow - awesome!

This is perfect. Thank you!

I was still on my first coffee of the day lol

Donnerstag, 11. August 2022, 17:55

lol. I'll save the really tough ones for when you've had three cups.

After watching it run for a bit, I made one small change. I multiplied the D5N temp by 100 to try and increase the effective resolution of the trend function. Without the multiplier, small variations of .01C didn't seem to be registering on the trend. Adding the multiplier seems to have cleared that up.

Donnerstag, 11. August 2022, 18:55

lol. I'll save the really tough ones for when you've had three cups.

After watching it run for a bit, I made one small change. I multiplied the D5N temp by 100 to try and increase the effective resolution of the trend function. Without the multiplier, small variations of .01C didn't seem to be registering on the trend. Adding the multiplier seems to have cleared that up.

Cool.

Hadn't even thought about that :)

Donnerstag, 11. August 2022, 20:13

I had initially assumed that the calculation was handled to more sig figs than on display, but then I noticed that the switch was triggering sometimes even when I saw the raw temp value moving .01C. Adding the multiplier doesn't add any precision to the temp value, but it effectively does add them to the trend calculation. The .01C changes that had been shown on the Trend function as 0 are now getting processed by the Equals function as non-zero.

Donnerstag, 11. August 2022, 20:18

I had initially assumed that the calculation was handled to more sig figs than on display, but then I noticed that the switch was triggering sometimes even when I saw the raw temp value moving .01C. Adding the multiplier doesn't add any precision to the temp value, but it effectively does add them to the trend calculation. The .01C changes that had been shown on the Trend function as 0 are now getting processed by the Equals function as non-zero.

[attach]9593[/attach]

I think another way that might achieve the same result is to add a delay step between the Trend and the A=B steps.

And this is what I like about the Playground :)