• 19.04.2024, 15:01
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

How hot can I allow my coolant to run?

Freitag, 12. August 2022, 20:49

I'm running 100% DP Ultra in a loop with a D5 Next, Ultitube 100, Aquacomputer 16/10 EPDM tubing, a HIghFlow NEXT, LEAKSHIELD, a Cuplex CPU block, and Kryographics XCS GPU blocks. Every component in the loop aside from the radiators and barb fittings is from Aquacomputer.

Provided that the GPUs and CPU are operating at acceptable temps, what is the maximum recommended coolant temp for continuous 24/7 usage?

Remayz

Freitag, 12. August 2022, 21:17

lower is better hehehe

The big red flag is the 60°C mark. Most watercooling equipment is rated up to that maximum temperature.
As long as you have a comfortable margin when under crazy load you should be good to go.
D5 pumps are watercooled, and shouldn't go above 60.

After that it's up to you and how the ambient temperature is where you live.
Central texas without AC, 40 - 55°C water temp wouldn't be crazy.
Most people probably run in the 30-45°C mark

Freitag, 12. August 2022, 22:55

I don't run any overclocks, so I find that CPU & GPU temps are just fine with coolant as hot as 50C. To me, "just fine" means there is no thermal throttling and temps are at or below what they were using the stock air cooler and fan curve (where applicable).

I currently have my target coolant temp at 38C and was just thinking that the loop fans could run slower and the room air conditioner could run less if the coolant could be 45C instead. But I also don't want to put the loop in danger by running it too hot for months at a time.

When I see coolant temps that people post on various forums and subreddits, I'm always left thinking the person is either a liar or an idiot :D I see claims of 25C being normal from people who are clearly lying and claims of 60C being just fine from people who have hacked together loops that make my face twitch when I look at them. So, I've never really known what temp to be shooting for.

I'm kind of hoping that someone from Aquacomputer will see this and share a number. Literally everything in my loop is from them except for the rads (they don't have a size compatible with this case, so I'm using Alphacool) and barbs (which they don't make, so I used Alphacool). If there is anyone on this planet who knows the highest safe temperature for continuous use, it is someone who works there. :)

Remayz

Samstag, 13. August 2022, 01:54

Well, with the room at 26, in idle i get 28 - 29°C. Under heavy load just over 40°C, so if you have AC in the room and are considering 50°C water temp, maybe there's other things to look at.
LIke, do you have a restrictive case in terms of airflow, where is it situated (room corners are hot spots, case too close to the wall.. in a desk cabinet is death), dust filters not removed from exhaust positions, radiators dumping heat in the case feeding the exhaust ones... etc..
Maybe not enough rads for the load you have too..

Samstag, 13. August 2022, 02:26

Cooling efficiency is an entirely different topic. I am not asking if my loop is as efficient as others (although efficiency does go up as coolant temp rises compared to ambient).

With ambient air at 27C and the system at full ~900w thermal load, my loop maintains its target of 38C with the fans oscillating between 60-70% and pump at 90%. To maintain a target coolant temp of 50C, the fans would need to run at more like 30% and the pump at 60%. If 50C were safe for the loop, it would make sense to set that as the target temp to both reduce noise and improve longevity and even switch to lower airflow but quieter fans. I have already verified that this coolant temp does not negatively impact CPU and GPU performance. What I do not know yet is whether this temp is safe for the blocks, highflow next sensor, pump, tubing, and seals.

Remayz

Samstag, 13. August 2022, 03:12

well.. i should have RTFM..
https://aquacomputer.de/handbuecher.html

Ultitube and D5 NEXT states a coolant temp of 50°C max.

Indeed with 900W thermal load, it's almost double what a single GPU rig has, so yours can't compare obviously. It's best to check each exact component but my guess is it will be 10-50°C for all.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Remayz« (13. August 2022, 03:15)

Sonntag, 14. August 2022, 15:26

I'm curious if 50C is the 24/7 operational limit, or if 50C is the limit for occasional accidental exposure. If I recall correctly, the default alarm setting on the D5 Next is only 40C.

Sonntag, 14. August 2022, 17:47

It's so hot where I am right now that the water temp is 34.5 idle, room ambient is 31-32. It's a loft space and have no AC. The obvious fact that the water temp will never go below room ambient just exacerbates the situation, any form of gaming and the water temps are instantly up to 38/39/40! Am also curious as to the definition of the "limits"

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »alexkyriak« (14. August 2022, 17:51)

Dienstag, 16. August 2022, 17:59

I'm curious if 50C is the 24/7 operational limit
Yes, the 50°C is the 24/7 operational limit.
The Pump itself is rated for 60°C, however, the electronics module of the D5 Next can get overheated if the water temperature rises above 50°C.

Mittwoch, 17. August 2022, 04:37

Yes, the 50°C is the 24/7 operational limit.
The Pump itself is rated for 60°C, however, the electronics module of the D5 Next can get overheated if the water temperature rises above 50°C.

Perfect! Thank you. That means I can let my loop run warmer and let my fans and pump relax a bit :)

Samstag, 20. August 2022, 21:55

I’m glad the heatwave where I live has relaxed a bit. I was worrying I’d built my system badly, but I think actually it’s just the mad temperatures! Idle and gaming temps are much more behaved, and consequently the ‘acoustics’ of the system.