• 26.04.2024, 05:42
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Slow boot up

Donnerstag, 25. August 2022, 23:00

Hi all, does Aquacomputer kit cause slow boot up time in any way? Trying to figure out why my newly built system is taking a while to boot.

Motherboard is asus z690 maximus extreme running a 12900k (stock profile or OC profile). From pressing case ‘on’ button to seeing the boot logo on monitor, takes 26 seconds or so. And a further 12-14 seconds to get to windows. By contrast my old system (4790k on a z97x-soc) was much quicker.

- This system has a few aquacomputer controllers attached (as did the old system).

- I have fast boot enabled in bios.

- I am hiding the post and set it to 2 seconds for the window in which to press F2.

- Windows 10 OS is running from an NVME m.2.

- I have disabled loads of ‘startup’ software and various things in MSC boot window in windows.

- I don’t have any usb sticks or external drives plugged in, or any gaming peripherals. I have a usb hub connected (same as on the old system)

All in, boot up from on button to windows is approx 48 seconds or so. Old system on new install with no software loaded in half that, and still faster than this new system, even with software installed. Can’t work it out. Any ideas how I can speed this up or what might be wrong? System runs perfectly other than this. But just trying to ascertain if it might be some of the aquacomputer kit (hubby, octo, aquero, etc) that might be causing the issue or not.

Much appreciated :)

Freitag, 26. August 2022, 08:21

Disconnect the suspect kit, disable the suspect software from starting on boot (you can do this with Aquasuite in services) , retest

Add hardware back one item at a time retesting each time

Renable any software startup , retest

Freitag, 26. August 2022, 08:30

the other questions are

"how much of an inconvenience is this other than on the stop watch?"

"how many times a day do you need to restart your PC?"

FWIW my dual boot 5600x /64gb of ram from cold takes about 30 seconds to the dual boot screen and a further 18 seconds from selecting the required OS to the Windows login screen so 48 seconds in total

Also even 60 seconds is only 0.07% of a full 24 hour day ;o)

Freitag, 26. August 2022, 12:44

Modern motherboards are much more complex than old ones, so a current PC boots slower, the initialization of each device takes time, the more functions your board has and the more is connected to the board, the longer the computer boots, I'm on my ASUS Dark Hero with a 5800X also at almost a minute until the computer is ready.
But as WinstonWoof already wrote, the computer does not need this time 20 times a day ;-)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Es gibt keinen Ausweg, den ein Mensch nicht beschreitet, um die tatsächliche Arbeit des Denkens zu vermeiden.
Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931), amerik. Erfinder

Freitag, 26. August 2022, 14:25

Cheers guys. It's not about inconvenience, it's more a question of "is this working correctly". I had expected this spec of modern kit to boot in a superfast time, hence querying if there is anything "wrong". Having since researched this further, it appears to be that the latest round of Asus board have this quite long post time, so it's apparently normal - as Taubenhaucher has also said.

But it IS an inconvenience .... I need to feel the powerrr!!!! I need to shave that 0.07 down to at least 0.035! ;)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »alexkyriak« (26. August 2022, 20:16)

Freitag, 26. August 2022, 14:52

Zitat

I need to shave that 0.07 down to at least 0.035! ;)
I wish you the best of luck. ;)
Es gibt keinen Ausweg, den ein Mensch nicht beschreitet, um die tatsächliche Arbeit des Denkens zu vermeiden.
Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931), amerik. Erfinder

Freitag, 26. August 2022, 18:45

My Asus Dark Hero takes about 35 seconds to get from power switch to Windows login, and about 50 seconds until HWINFO and AQS are up and running. I do have AQS start set to delay by 5 seconds. I agree its not a big deal though it can be annoying when I am working on a RAM overclock, which involves many cycles of booting into the BIOS, making a change, then booting into Windows, over and over again. I do recall some of my earlier systems booting up faster,

Remayz

Freitag, 26. August 2022, 20:33

my previous work laptop booted in 45 minutes :) like, mandatory coffee break in the morning lol

One thing you may want to try, if you only have NVMe drives is to disable entirely all sata support. Maybe it will shave a bit off boot time :)

That's always the first thing i do on a new build. Sata and onboard audio sent to oblivion.

Samstag, 27. August 2022, 15:31

I do have some sata data drives in there also, but I suspect this is the z690 / ddr5 issue that’s at play here.

This video on ddr5 ram and long posts by JayzTwoCents is probably relevant : https://youtu.be/uu9U7TVNImI

Remayz

Samstag, 27. August 2022, 18:07

His long boot times are when he changes memory settings. the motherboard tests them before starting. But that happens only at first boot.
By the way; mixing memory kits even with the same PN has always been a very bad idea, even on DDR4.

Even on my system (DDR4 on Z490), when i change sticks or reset the bios, requiring me to re-enable XMP, it takes a long time to apply the settings and reboot.
But once the timing has been tested and validated by the BIOS, the next boot will just use these timings and boot quick.

Also, one thing he doesn't mention is that the memory speed spec on Alder lake changes depending on your motherboard layout and your number of sticks used.

If your motherboards has 2 slots only, the CPU will support up to 4800mhz
if it has 4 slots and only one stick per channel, it will support up to 4400mhz
if it's 4 slots with 4 sticks, it will support up to 4000 mhz if the sticks are single rank, and 3600mhz if they are dual rank.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16959/intel-innovation-alder-lake-november-4th/4

The lower the actual spec supported, the higher the risk of XMP not to work.
In the video he's using 4 sticks so he's setting himself up to fail basically. The best setup will always be two sticks per channel, single or dual rank.

Nothing new, always happens when a new revision of DDR comes out. the first gen to support it isn't the best at overclocking.

But still, it's unrelated to your question i believe ^^

Samstag, 27. August 2022, 18:17

as long as my system boots before I have finished making my morning coffee I am happy :)

Remayz

Samstag, 27. August 2022, 19:38

I'm good too from what i see

:D

Samstag, 27. August 2022, 20:00

I'm good too from what i see

:D

8) 8) 8) 8)