• 27.04.2024, 08:43
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

dashboard: reporting CPU usage

Dienstag, 6. September 2022, 23:22

Hi all. Just trying to finalise a dashboard. For CPU % utlisation, what do you guys recommend to use for reporting an accurate CPU utilisation? 1: the first thread usage? Or 2: the CPU total? CPU total feels wrong as it's alway a pretty low figure, about half of what Task Manager performance reports for CPU. Should I average the performance cores (12900k)? Dont' think that would work.

Thanks guys.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »alexkyriak« (7. September 2022, 00:23)

Remayz

Mittwoch, 7. September 2022, 00:13

what i am thinking of doing with my future 13900k (thinking in advance :p) is making two virtual sensors.
One that averages the load across the P cores and one for the E cores.
This way it gives at least a useful information : How much each type is loaded
Otherwise for older generations with identical cores, yea, CPU total is the best IMO.

Mittwoch, 7. September 2022, 07:52

I use the total for the 5600x , seems to match what I see elsewhere.

If you do want to do your own averaging adapt the method I use for CPU speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2rTdCfQ…bh48H-&index=11

Actually with some tweaking you could create a virtual P core value and a virtual e core value

RE: dashboard: reporting CPU usage

Mittwoch, 7. September 2022, 08:09

Hi all. Just trying to finalise a dashboard. For CPU % utlisation, what do you guys recommend to use for reporting an accurate CPU utilisation? 1: the first thread usage? Or 2: the CPU total? CPU total feels wrong as it's alway a pretty low figure, about half of what Task Manager performance reports for CPU. Should I average the performance cores (12900k)? Dont' think that would work.

{snip}

Thanks guys.

I believe the aquasuite sampling rate is every 1000ms, which allows for huge swings in processor utilization between samples.
Comparing one monitoring system to another depends on when sampling is done, and most likely is not synchronized.

For me, the CPU Total best represents the processors capability, using a single core gives no indication of the utilization of the full processor.

If you use too much computing power to massage the data, you will effect the outcome with your calculations.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »InfoSeeker« (7. September 2022, 08:11)

RE: dashboard: reporting CPU usage

Mittwoch, 7. September 2022, 17:19

For CPU % utlisation, what do you guys recommend to use for reporting an accurate CPU utilisation?

I think it depends on what insight you are looking to gain from the data. Impact to the cooling system should be monitored via the TDP instead of utilization. Performance of the cooling system should be monitored by either CPU Package Temp or Hot Spot. If you are trying to see if an app is hung in a high utilization state, you will want both total utilization and the highest utilization of any individual core. To see if an app is hung in a low utilization state, your best option may be to check the Task Manager instead.

All of these options are very accurate for specific uses. I don't think there is one single metric which is very accurate for all uses.

Mittwoch, 7. September 2022, 21:10

Thanks all for the insights and responses.

Perhaps somewhat simplistically, I just wanted to see a plot of when the cpu is busy and to what extent. To correlate against other aspects of the reporting, such as water temp and gpu. I think I’ll get it to report cores activity in ghz per core instead somehow, but without it looking too busy. I had thought about doing an ‘average’ approach but I wasn’t sure that that is appropriate with multiple performance cores and efficiency cores - but might check this out WinstonWoof as per your vid and suggestion ;). I think going to look at it at tdp level is quite an interesting idea. Cheers guys, will have a play and report back!

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »alexkyriak« (7. September 2022, 22:34)