• 25.04.2024, 02:23
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Will 15% Propylene Glycol 85% Distilled H20 clog or damage a Leakshield Membrane?

Samstag, 10. September 2022, 01:17

I just bought a Ultitube D5 150 Pro Leakshield and am thinking about coolant. I intend to use DP Ultra because I want to monitor coolant conductivity and I don't want to clog up the Leakshield membrane. While I wait for DP Ultra to arrive, I want to start doing some testing.

Would using a mixture of 85% distilled H20 and 15% Propylene Glycol (PG) cause a problem with the Leakshield membrane? I read that a 15/85 mix of PG and H20 is a great coolant. The 15%PG acts as a biocide, an anti-corrosive, and a lubricant for the pump. I know that many coolants, including automotive coolants, use Ethylene Glycol (EG). More recent formulations use PG instead of EG due to PG's lower toxicity. Here is an interesting LINK about the advantages and disadvantages of PG vs EG. I don't know what's in DP Ultra but suspect it includes EG or PG. Does Aquacomputer have a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for DP Ultra?

I searched this forum for "Propylene Glycol" and found THIS THREAD wherein the OP thought that adding PG to his coolant caused a significant reduction in flow rate, but it turned out his flow meter was messed up. I have read several posts on this forum about a clogged or damaged Leakshield membrane and wonder if this mixture would clog up or otherwise adversely affect the membrane.

Samstag, 10. September 2022, 12:18

AC use GoreTex for the membrane from there data sheet they can supply membranes in ranges on 1 - 10 µm. GoreTex is made from PTFE which is known to have excellence chemical resistance

PG and water are much smaller than this, so assuming pure materials then there is no reason that it would be clogged.

The clogging of the membrane would be from other things, precipitation of metals and growth of microorganisms in the coolant.

PG is about 50 x more viscous than water, so I assume this is where the reduction flow comes from as described in Hagen–Poiseuille equation. e.g., https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arabjc.2012.07.012

The MSDS is on their website. https://www.aquatuning.de/download/SDS_D…_2016_04_06.pdf

I just used distilled water as it was only a few days to get DP ultra, so no need to make my own coolant in the mean time.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Ytterbium« (10. September 2022, 12:21)

Samstag, 10. September 2022, 19:24

Thank you. I appreciate your posting the MSDS sheet and should have looked harder for it myself. I see that they are using Ethylene Glycol and Benzotriazole which Google says is a corrosion inhibitor. Propylene Glycol is more viscous than Ethylene Glycol, but I suspect it would not be a problem. That said, I will just use 100% distilled H20 for testing. It is nice to know that I can mix up a batch of 85/15 H20/PG and use it as a long term coolant if I wanted to.

Now I just noticed that I appear to be missing one of the 2 brackets that is supposed to be included with the Ultitube D5 Next 150 w/ Leakshield. The bracket that I am missing does not appear to be available as a stand-alone product. I am not sure if I should reach out to the vendor I purchased if from (Titan Rig) or Aquacomputer directly. Mine came with the L-bracket #34111 but not the flat bracket with the "X" shape on it. I have attached a pic that shows which bracket is missing. Do you happen to know if this bracket is supposed to be included with the Ultitube D5 Next 150 w/ Leakshield? I assume it is since its shown in the included accessories picture. I am also not sure where it goes.

2022-0910 Accessories - Missing Bracket.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Speedy-VI« (10. September 2022, 19:32)

Samstag, 10. September 2022, 20:10

34150 is the number for the X one.

Samstag, 10. September 2022, 21:52

Thank you again! I just found the bracket that somehow got loose in the box and was wedged between 2 pieces of packing foam. I don't know how I did not see it earlier because I thought I searched that box thoroughly. I still can't figure out what it's for. The hole pattern matches the side of the L-bracket that sits under the pump. Maybe it attaches to that?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Speedy-VI« (11. September 2022, 02:55)