• 19.04.2024, 23:52
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Draining a loop with LEAKSHIELD

Donnerstag, 29. September 2022, 09:36

I purchased an AquaComputer fill port and am looking forward to the next time I fill my loop.
But my question is this… Is draining a loop with LEAKSHIELD the same as with any loop without LEAKSHIELD?
In other words, do I open a valve at the lowest point and open a port to allow air to enter?
Or am I somehow able to use LEAKSHIELD when draining a loop?

Donnerstag, 29. September 2022, 11:12

My experience is that filling with the LEAKSHIELD is more convenient and faster because you don't have to keep starting and shutting down the computer, furthermore serious leaks would show up immediately as the vacuum builds up.

However, you also have to be careful because the LEAKSHIELD will suck water until the reservoir is full and the water reaches the membrane of the LEAKSHIELD, you don't want that, so you always have to interrupt the process beforehand and start the computer to vent the loop.
If the fill port is located at the very bottom of the system, however, this will only be necessary once or twice at the most, in contrast to the classic method.

In my case with four 420 radiators and a 500 ml reservoir, I had to start the computer exactly once, then I refilled the small remainder during operation.

Emptying the circuit with the LEAKSHIELD also works, there is extra this attachment for beverage bottles , but these must be quite stable, otherwise the vacuum pulls the bottle together instead of the water from the computer.

I ordered the attachment immediately when it came out, but have not used it so far, because my loop is very good to empty and I'm too lazy to remove my LEAKSHIELD for it :D

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Es gibt keinen Ausweg, den ein Mensch nicht beschreitet, um die tatsächliche Arbeit des Denkens zu vermeiden.
Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931), amerik. Erfinder

Donnerstag, 29. September 2022, 21:03

It’s an interesting attachment, but I’m having trouble trying to think of how you’d use it. Only way I can think of:
- Remove leakshield from the top of your reservoir and attach to the adapter
- Attach bottle to adapter
- run a sealed line from your drain port to the adapter (ie attach tubing fittings at either end and run a tub between them)
- make sure leak shield is on top, and PET bottle the bottom
- open the drain port, and turn on leakshield, setting it to Fill mode

Trying to think of what the advantage of this would be compared to having a blower you can use to blow-out your lines

Donnerstag, 29. September 2022, 22:55

It’s an interesting attachment, but I’m having trouble trying to think of how you’d use it. Only way I can think of:
- run a sealed line from your drain port to the adapter (ie attach tubing fittings at either end and run a tub between them)

Trying to think of what the advantage of this would be compared to having a blower you can use to blow-out your lines
Great description. I have been wondering the same thing.

Freitag, 30. September 2022, 11:21

It may be better suited for systems that are not so easy to drain, but as I said, I haven't tried it out of laziness.
Es gibt keinen Ausweg, den ein Mensch nicht beschreitet, um die tatsächliche Arbeit des Denkens zu vermeiden.
Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931), amerik. Erfinder

Remayz

Freitag, 30. September 2022, 14:04

for draining i attach a length of soft tube to my loop high point air intake for draining, open the drain valve.. let the bulk pour out, then pull a John Coltrane on the loop :p
For some reason, it seems breath contamination doesn't survive in PC coolant.

Also depending on your loop layout, you may need quite the air flow to push water out.
Now, typing that.. i think i may have to try my shop vac next time :P

Freitag, 4. November 2022, 20:30

You're pretty much spot on. I have the adapter and have used it with some success. I took a scan of the adapter's "manual" and attached to this post for those interested.
»donmobliano« hat folgende Datei angehängt: