• 19.04.2024, 20:05
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

red-ray

Aqua Computer LeakShield Start-up and Event logging Observations

Sonntag, 23. Oktober 2022, 01:01

After getting a LeakShould I made a number of observations and identified several issues I feel should be fixed so I created the attached document.

It would not let be attach the original .PDF file as it's > 1.05 MB so I created a compressed .PDF and attached it.
»red-ray« hat folgende Datei angehängt:

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »red-ray« (23. Oktober 2022, 13:59)

red-ray

Your proposed work around is not possible when the background service is not running

Mittwoch, 2. November 2022, 09:41

The content of the PDF is from my point of view more a compilation of things that red-ray does not like, not a list of bugs.

None of this has ever affected the functionality of LEAKSHIELD in my computer.

In addition, there is a solution for the lost pump data, it is in the Aquasuite in the option background service the hook in front of "Automatically reset USB connection in case of errors".

Some are clearly bugs, others are poor design decisions or poor implementations that should be improved.

Clearly, I was more rigorous in my evaluation than you were.

I make it clear I was considering the situation when no AC software was running on the host system, given this the background service would not be running at all so your proposed work around is not possible.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 4 mal editiert, zuletzt von »red-ray« (2. November 2022, 11:42)

Mittwoch, 2. November 2022, 10:09

However, this problem cannot be solved in any other way because it is caused by Windows.
Es gibt keinen Ausweg, den ein Mensch nicht beschreitet, um die tatsächliche Arbeit des Denkens zu vermeiden.
Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931), amerik. Erfinder

red-ray

The firmware should be fixed to optionally remove or extend this timeout.

Mittwoch, 2. November 2022, 11:02

However, this problem cannot be solved in any other way because it is caused by Windows.

This is incorrect, it happens as the LKS 1017 firmware has a 300 second timeout on the "start-up pump data". The firmware should be fixed to optionally remove or extend this timeout. The default should be not to have a timeout, further when/if the AC Service fails or is stopped the firmware should revert to the "start-up pump data"

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »red-ray« (2. November 2022, 11:44)

Mittwoch, 2. November 2022, 16:55

This is very interesting, because the error comes from the fact that the USB protocol makes problems, in reality disappeared not only the values in the LEAKSHIELD, but also in the aquasuite itself, because the pump suddenly no longer sends data, because the USB connection no longer worked, this led, for example, in my system that the LEAKSHIELD constantly pumped to 420 mbar, because the data was missing, I had then also looked whether the error was on the LEAKSHIELD, he did not.

The problem and the solution were also extensively discussed here, but if you know better... :thumbup:
Es gibt keinen Ausweg, den ein Mensch nicht beschreitet, um die tatsächliche Arbeit des Denkens zu vermeiden.

red-ray

Mittwoch, 2. November 2022, 19:24

The problem and the solution were also extensively discussed here, but if you know better... :thumbup:

Thank you for the history. The issue I highlighted is a different issue which is that when the AC service is not running the pump speed and flow rate can't get sent to the LKS.

There already is the "start-up pump data" and it would be sensible to use this whenever the AC service was not updating the pump speed and/or flow rate.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »red-ray« (2. November 2022, 19:38)

Freitag, 4. November 2022, 08:44

We don't have to explain anything there.
The status page is for support and as an overview. We do not have to explain the internal values of the device.
We also don't have to support your software because you think there are errors. We have emailed you several times in support to tell you what we think.

The status page is constantly changing, values are removed, new ones are added.
This is simply so that we can better evaluate where to look for a problem in case of problems or for you to easily see all the values of the device at a glance.
You don't have to understand or interpret these values. Also these values are not implausible. To understand this, you simply have to understand more about the device and its internal functionality.

If you are not satisfied with our devices and the software, return it to your dealer.

red-ray

Your reply is incomplete as it fails to give any indication as to is AC will be fixing the bugs and/or reconsidering the poor design decisions that I identified.

Samstag, 5. November 2022, 10:05

We also don't have to support your software because you think there are errors.

You don't have to understand or interpret these values. Also these values are not implausible. To understand this, you simply have to understand more about the device and its internal functionality.

I have never asked and never would ask any 2nd/3rd party to support my software. I am confused as to how you can think I have, I have asked AC for information such that it would be easier for me to get SIV to report AC devices, AC declined to provide this as is their right. AC doing this is irksome, but it was easy enough to add LeakShield reporting, much of which I added in the 5.66 release before I had my own LeakShield.

Obviously, Owners don't need to understand the values, but I would like to. I did not specify the values are implausible, but rather that it seems strange that the same device reports very different values at different times and I would like to understand why. If for owners to understand the values they need to know "more about the device and its internal functionality" then clearly the LeakShield manual should include this. Given I did not start the Leakshield Status Diagram - What do all of the values mean? thread it's clear that others would also like to understand the values. The main reason I would like to understand what the values indicate is so I can know how well my LeakShield is working and if it's likely to have problems in the near future.

Your reply is incomplete as it fails to give any indication as to is AC will be fixing the bugs and/or reconsidering the poor design decisions that I identified.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »red-ray« (5. November 2022, 15:28)

Samstag, 5. November 2022, 10:31

Without wanting to offend you, do you know a company that, when reporting an error, directly says that the error will be fixed in e.g. 2 weeks?

As a user who uses Aquaero, Farbwerk 360, higflow NEXT, D5 NEXT and LEAKSHIELD in the main computer, I can tell you that there are no hardware errors that affect the use.

If there are errors, such as the date display on the first entry in the log of LEAKSHIELD, no one really cares, right?

I use the Aquasuite and the hardware since 2016 and it is by far the best solution on the market.

Of course, not everything is perfect, but who demands that is completely unrealistic.

The important thing is, as soon as there are problems, the support will help you, the Aquasuite and firmware are continuously improved and bugs are fixed.

Realistically and without the "I want that attitude", what more do you want as a customer?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

red-ray

Don't Shoot the Messenger

Samstag, 5. November 2022, 11:36

Without wanting to offend you, do you know a company that, when reporting an error, directly says that the error will be fixed in e.g. 2 weeks?

No, and I did not ask for a timescale. I did show fixing many of the observations was quite easy and I just don't get why they don't fix them.

Anyone who demands anything is not being realistic which is why I used the term "Obversions".

I did not go looking for bugs in AC software/firmware and found most of them while edge case testing the SIV AC hardware reporting. Obviously, I made the SIV code correctly handle the edge cases and assumed AC would wish to do the same, epically so given what is specified in Neu: aquasuite X

In the past I have reported bugs via email and got one-line replies such as "has been forwarded but I would not expect to see any changes." which is contrary to what is said in the above link.

I suspect my attention to correctly dealing with edge cases is down to my background in developing Windows WDM/KMDF Kernel Mode device drivers. These have to correctly deal with all the edge cases as if they don't the result is often a BSOD !

Samstag, 5. November 2022, 11:48

There we have it edge cases are a serious problem in the kernel driver, in normal software they are not, tapping the software for every conceivable problem would only make it more expensive and development significantly slower.

As my computer science professor said in 1993 "There is no such thing as bug-free software, the art is to have the bugs in places where users don't notice them".

red-ray

Samstag, 5. November 2022, 13:07

tapping the software for every conceivable problem would only make it more expensive and development significantly slower.

No, it's not just kernel mode software that need to reliably deal with edge cases, it's any software that is used for safety critical applications. Obvious examples are Nuclear Reactor + Air Traffic control systems and to a much lesser extent Computer Cooling control systems.

If there are errors, such as the date display on the first entry in the log of LEAKSHIELD, no one really cares, right?

The only reason I mentioned the first entry in the log was for completeness. If this had been the only issue then I suspect I would not have mentioned it, but the other times starting from 2021-05-03 (Sebastian's birthday?) is poor design as is time changes not being in the event log. In addition the state changes should also be logged.

I just rebooted my PC and noticed there is no event in the LeakShield event log to show the USB port had been restarted when I expected there to be one.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »red-ray« (5. November 2022, 13:23)

Samstag, 5. November 2022, 13:23

You win, I give up.