• 23.04.2024, 13:09
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

pump failure imminent?

Montag, 12. Dezember 2022, 22:02

My Pump-2 is acting up, anyone else SEEN something similar?

Dienstag, 13. Dezember 2022, 01:16

Very strange, especially the current draw wiggling around like that. What is a Crystal Motor?

Remayz

Dienstag, 13. Dezember 2022, 12:58

are the two pumps in series?
i was wondering if maybe turbulence or whatever would make one more unstable than the other.
Never really used pumps powered from the PWM port otherwise.

Dienstag, 13. Dezember 2022, 14:08

Pump 2 stopped again last night. I will try to swap it back to port 2 to see if it resets.

Very strange, especially the current draw wiggling around like that. What is a Crystal Motor?
The AZZA case looked a bit empty at the apex, so I added a glass prism rotated by a small 12V MOTOR. It can be seen at the end of this short CLIP.

are the two pumps in series?
i was wondering if maybe turbulence or whatever would make one more unstable than the other.
Never really used pumps powered from the PWM port otherwise.
Yes, the pumps are in series. I believe there are many who run two pumps in series, so I suspect that should not be a problem.
There are probably far fewer builds that also take the 12V from the fan port, but the power/current draws are well below the limitations of an OCTO.

Remayz

Dienstag, 13. Dezember 2022, 17:45

if it's a D5, they can take over 2A at startup i believe even if in use they will not go above. Maybe that doesn't help. But again why would pump 2 fail while pump 1 is fine..
You tried opening a support ticket yet? maybe AC has done testing on that already when developping the Quadro and Octo.

Mittwoch, 14. Dezember 2022, 13:37

The pumps are both aquacomputer pwm D5s
Even with a 2A rush at start-up, that is still below the OCTO's rating, which probably has a start rush allowance also.

I swapped the failed D5 from port 8 back to the original port 2, and it still doesn't work.
Pump 1 now shows 11.8V and all fans show 11.9V

I guess it is tear-down/rebuild time :(

Mittwoch, 14. Dezember 2022, 13:56

You have to Connect the D5 Pumps to the Power Supply ! Only the Control wires to the fan port!

When you connect the D5 with Power to the Octo, you can damage the controller an the pump.
Why do you think there is a plug for a power supply?

CONNECT THE PUMP POWER ONLY TO A PSU!

Zitat

Even with a 2A rush at start-up
More than 3-4A.

Mittwoch, 14. Dezember 2022, 17:48

What is the current start rush capability of an octo?

Mittwoch, 14. Dezember 2022, 17:51

The Absolute Maximum Rating is 2.1A.
This limit must NEVER be exceeded.

Mittwoch, 14. Dezember 2022, 22:50

So the 25W limit stated in the product description and the "12 V / max. 2 A" limit in the manual are inclusive of any start-up current rush.
Is there then a recommended maximum operating power limit that allows for startup inrush?

Sonntag, 18. Dezember 2022, 13:11

Why do you think there is a plug for a power supply?

I don't know, you tell me.

Remayz

Sonntag, 18. Dezember 2022, 14:13

the 12V from the PSU isn't a straight connexion from the molex to the PWM ports. it goes through the driver chip which has a maximum rating.. the molex pins on the PWM ports are also rated to 2 - 2.5A max depending on the wire gauge attached. They too are overloaded when the pump starts up or accelerates.
It's a lot easier and safer to use a Molex splitter to power the Octo and two pumps direct from the PSU

Sonntag, 18. Dezember 2022, 14:29

the 12V from the PSU isn't a straight connexion from the molex to the PWM ports. it goes through the driver chip which has a maximum rating.. the molex pins on the PWM ports are also rated to 2 - 2.5A max depending on the wire gauge attached. They too are overloaded when the pump starts up or accelerates.
It's a lot easier and safer to use a Molex splitter to power the Octo and two pumps direct from the PSU

Not arguing any of those points.

The primary point is, we are challenged to assume things that are violated within the spectrum of their stable of equipment.
One needs to change the connectors to power pumps with the poweradjust.

Aquacomputer, hands down, has the best controlling systems out there, but documentation trends to the weak side.

Remayz

Sonntag, 18. Dezember 2022, 17:33

the poweradjust is a DC controller. it's just completely different from the Octo, and would only make sense for old DC controlled pumps, or if you really want to get it toasty by not using PWM on the pumps, which would make no sense since it will piss out power as heat for nothing... and you'd need one poweradust per pump. Constant 12V straight from PSU plus PWM control is a lot more efficient.

But for a PWM D5, it's understood that you power from SATA or Molex since that's what's attached on the pump. No PWM controller is made to directly power PWM pumps.
Any electric motor has high starting current, so when they say power can go up to 23W in use (~2A), you know the startup current is much higher than that. The documentation can't account for all the possible DIY use cases. The poweradjust being made to power pumps, it states in its manual the maximum continuous power, and maximum short term load. The Octo doesn't.

That aside, is there a reason why you don't want to use the original Molex plug to power them? even on a Mora you can find ways to hide a cable splitter to power an octo and two pumps.

Sonntag, 18. Dezember 2022, 20:29

the poweradjust is a DC controller. it's just completely different from the Octo, and would only make sense for old DC controlled pumps, or if you really want to get it toasty by not using PWM on the pumps, which would make no sense since it will piss out power as heat for nothing... and you'd need one poweradust per pump. Constant 12V straight from PSU plus PWM control is a lot more efficient.

But for a PWM D5, it's understood that you power from SATA or Molex since that's what's attached on the pump. No PWM controller is made to directly power PWM pumps.
Any electric motor has high starting current, so when they say power can go up to 23W in use (~2A), you know the startup current is much higher than that. The documentation can't account for all the possible DIY use cases. The poweradjust being made to power pumps, it states in its manual the maximum continuous power, and maximum short term load. The Octo doesn't.

That aside, is there a reason why you don't want to use the original Molex plug to power them? even on a Mora you can find ways to hide a cable splitter to power an octo and two pumps.

Not arguing any of those points.

The primary point is, we are challenged to assume things that are violated within the spectrum of their stable of equipment.
One needs to change the connectors to power pumps with the poweradjust.

Aquacomputer, hands down, has the best controlling systems out there, but documentation trends to the weak side.

Remayz

Sonntag, 18. Dezember 2022, 23:52

My point was either one doesn't know electrical too well, and plugs things as they are designed to be used, or one knows and looks for the required info to DIY safely. If you have to assume, don't. That's how devices pop.

I still have no idea what the max current is for a D5, but AIO ports on motherboard, with their pretty weak pumps, are already rated to 3A. So it would make sense that a big D5 takes more. That for example could be a safe asumption and would trigger you not to connect a D5 to a 2A port.

I also don't know why you talk of the poweradjust then.

Montag, 19. Dezember 2022, 01:41

My point was either one doesn't know electrical too well, and plugs things as they are designed to be used, or one knows and looks for the required info to DIY safely. If you have to assume, don't. That's how devices pop.
Finally you get to my point, lack of documentation. I felt comfortable running at 50% of rated capacity (pump_stats.jpg)
Being a dumb-ass consumer, not an electrician, I assumed the inrush start current was accounted for in the specs

If I had a 480 radiator with push/pull (8 FANS at 3W/fan), for 24W total, would that be OK?

Zitat

I still have no idea what the max current is for a D5, but AIO ports on motherboard, with their pretty weak pumps, are already rated to 3A. So it would make sense that a big D5 takes more. That for example could be a safe asumption and would trigger you not to connect a D5 to a 2A port.
*sigh*

Zitat

I also don't know why you talk of the poweradjust then.
If I had a D5 Vario (non-PWM), it would come with the standard 4-pin 5V/12V Molex connector. Where I to use a poweradjust, I would have to replace the connector to a fan style connector. So don't come at me as if I were breaking a rule because a different connector was installed. The name of this game is modification

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »InfoSeeker« (19. Dezember 2022, 01:48)

Remayz

Montag, 19. Dezember 2022, 09:42

no offense meant really, i was just confused :) All i try to do is help solve issues. We can't change the documentation, but we certainly can try to make the installation better.

I assumed you had one molex cable going from the PSU to an Octo installed on a Mora, which maybe was wrong on my part. So i was trying to understand the need to use PWM connectors.
I'm preparing one such installation with a dual DDC and i couldn't understand why use PWM conectors for power.

The annoying bit is even if you go half power, during startup, there's always that short time when the ports go to 100% before the firmware takes over to the speed you set.

For fans, you could split them between 2 ports to play safe, but i feel like (i assume!) that the power figures on the stickers are always a bit generous. So it should work anyway