• 26.04.2024, 08:59
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Hartmann

Octo and Ek vardar evo 120 fans

Sonntag, 25. Dezember 2022, 12:42

Looking at buying the Octo for controlling my fans and pump the EK-Quantum kinetic 300 D5 pwn D-RGB with 16-18 EK vardar evo 120 fans, would there be any problems i shuld know about or will it work ?

Building a new custom loop in my corsair 7000X case with a 480 ,360 and 120 Rad so really dont wanna buy anything that wont end up working :)

So far from what i can read it should work but just wanna be sure befor buying the Octo, as i need something to control all those fans and pump, the pump itself i can control via the motherboard, its a EK-Quantum MSI mpg Z690 carbon EK X D-rgb

Just wanna be sure i can control fan speeds and the RGB without any surpries ahead

Thanks in Advance :)

sworfiss

Sonntag, 25. Dezember 2022, 22:12

Octo is best controller, worth it. It can control any fans PMW and DRGB. AQ 53282 and AQ- 53260 adapter required for EKWB DRGB.
If use 16-18fans, then get SPLITTY9 (53231) If with RGB, may be check farbwerk 360. Best to use coolant temperature sensors to control fans.
Flow sensor high flow NEXT(53293) is an excellent device

Hartmann

Sonntag, 25. Dezember 2022, 22:33

Octo is best controller, worth it. It can control any fans PMW and DRGB. AQ 53282 and AQ- 53260 adapter required for EKWB DRGB.
If use 16-18fans, then get SPLITTY9 (53231) If with RGB, may be check farbwerk 360. Best to use coolant temperature sensors to control fans.
Flow sensor high flow NEXT(53293) is an excellent device
thanks for the info, but cant i use the 2 RGBpx ports on the octo for controlling the rgb on the EK fans? since i can daisy chain the fans for rgb and the octo could control 90 leds per port so they should be able to do the job? and the 2 adapters, do i need 1 of each for every port on the octo?

going to use 1 temp sensor on one of the rads for controlling fan speed

Other things i have to look out for ?

Remayz

Sonntag, 25. Dezember 2022, 22:53

18 fans on one channel will overload it. You will certainly need a splitty 12 to power the RGB from the power supply.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Remayz« (25. Dezember 2022, 22:55)

Hartmann

Montag, 26. Dezember 2022, 10:50

18 fans on one channel will overload it. You will certainly need a splitty 12 to power the RGB from the power supply.
Didnt plan on putting all of the RGB on 1 port , The octo have 2 ports and the Octo info says it can control 90 Leds each, so if i split my 18 fans into 2 groups of 9 each, i should be good ? since those 9 fans could have up to 10 leds each to reach the 90 leds max

And planning on useing fans splitters to split all 16-18 fans over the 7 ports and last port would be for controlling the pump.
Plus adding a temp sensor to one of my rads to get control over fans with water temp

Could this work or do i need something else to make this work?

The power draw from each Fan is 2.16w per fan so far from the 100w max the Octo can handle.
This way i could use aquasuit for controlling everything, fans rgb and the pump

Remayz

Montag, 26. Dezember 2022, 15:57

i missed that you were planning to connect the reservoir to the motherboard :)
9 fans per channel would work, but you might still overload it on some settings like white color. but you'll see as you go. If the port protects itself and shuts down, then you may want to get one splitty 12 per channel, or invest on a Farbwerk360 to further divide the fans (and maybe get aquasuite to control the reservoir too).
You can test and see if you need that later, to avoid useless expenses.

For PWM, the limit is 2A per PWM port on the octo, so you are totally fine dividing them in groups yep.. like one port for front fans, one for side fans etc... no need to use up all 7 ports :)

sworfiss

Montag, 26. Dezember 2022, 19:47

adapters, do i need 1 of each
for every port on the octo?

Yes, you can use 2
adapters, connect to spitter RGB cables. I also agreed with Remayz said of
"Overload" It may be or not. It's best to try octo with 18fans RGB and
get the result.
Fan splitter is possible for each radiator fans without any issue. But always check Octo watts. Reserve 1st port for D5 pump. :D

2 Pass through
sensors recommended for radiators for inbetween GPU and CPU.
(GPU->pass through sensor ->radiator -> CPU ->pass through sensor
-> radiator). or
otherwise, if you know something with one sensor, it may be good.

1 pass through or
stop fitting sensor (back port of rad) for last radiator to reservoir.

Remayz

Montag, 26. Dezember 2022, 20:41

well, fitting sensors between blocks, or even radiators between blocks don't help much. the variation is too small to be helpful. the delta will mostly vary with pump flow, more than with load.
you're better off having two sensors before and after the radiators, said radiators being connected in series. That at least has the advantage of telling you how much your loop cools.
but cooling wise, loop order does not matter.

For the overload it's very variable.
I have a FW360 channel driving 81 leds on strips. never shuts down. but i managed to have shutdowns on one channel with 6 fans. Really depends what current the particular fans draw. But that was all on white lighting for tests.

Hartmann

Montag, 26. Dezember 2022, 21:21

Right now my loop ordre is

Pump -> Gpu -> Cpu -> 420 rad -> 420 rad-> pump

New loop would be , iam reusing my "old system" for the kids computer, thats why iam rebuilding new loop

Pump -> 480 rad -> Gpu -> Cpu -> 120 rad -> 360 rad -> Pump , loop ordre might change when i get to the building part but from what iam planning this seem the easiest route without having to cross to much and having to long hard tubes.
Temp sensor would be right after the gpu and cpu on the 120 and then on the out on the 480 so i can see how much cooling i get from this setup and can get fans to run as quite as one can without getting to high temps

Current system is all corsair but wanna use the EK fans and Ek pump, like how they look a lot more than the corsair ones, so the corsair commander pro will be moving to the "old system" and therefor i needed something new to control the 120 fans, pump, gpu block and cpu block

After checking my leftovers from others builds i can see i have a 6 port fan hub, that connects with a sata to PSU and 4 pin PWN connector, that could run prolly 8-10 fans with splitters but that could be controlled by the octo and also leave more headroom on the Octo

Temp sensors would be on the 480 rad in and out, so i can see how much the system is cooling.

P.s Yes this is way way beyon overkill with rads and fans but i can so :)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Hartmann« (26. Dezember 2022, 21:23)

Remayz

Montag, 26. Dezember 2022, 21:28

if you didn't get the EVO fans yet, have a look at the new FPT fans. No ball bearings, they are fluid dynamic bearings and have a new interconnect to daisy chain them easily. Just an idea ;)

Hartmann

Montag, 26. Dezember 2022, 21:48

if you didn't get the EVO fans yet, have a look at the new FPT fans. No ball bearings, they are fluid dynamic bearings and have a new interconnect to daisy chain them easily. Just an idea ;)
Got the evo fans on black friday at 70% off so that is to late :-)
And the diffence in static pressure is not that big

Thanks for the help and if anyone has other things to add please do since i still getting everything together before building

sworfiss

Dienstag, 27. Dezember 2022, 06:58

well, fitting sensors between blocks, or even radiators between blocks don't help much. the variation is too small to be helpful. the delta will mostly vary with pump flow, more than with load.
you're better off having two sensors before and after the radiators, said radiators being connected in series. That at least has the advantage of telling you how much your loop cools.
but cooling wise, loop order does not matter.

For the overload it's very variable.
I have a FW360 channel driving 81 leds on strips. never shuts down. but i managed to have shutdowns on one channel with 6 fans. Really depends what current the particular fans draw. But that was all on white lighting for tests.
hehe, agreed with your response. Regardless, I even installed 5 sensors - be sixth sense!- It brightens up my days!

Remayz

Dienstag, 27. Dezember 2022, 17:17

well, the two i described are the most useful, alas, i also have 3 sensors but try not to become a data hoarder :p

@Hartmann i was mostly pointing at the FPT fans because of the reputation of Evo and X3M fans for developping bearing failures. They use ball bearings and some tend to fail early, making a grinding noise. It's usually early failures, like they would make noise after a few months only. most fans though will last long without problems. EK support is very good anyway and i got mines replaced quickly when i had the issue.. 5 out of 9 fans replaced.
So yea, if ever yours develop that problem, you know the FPT have the same blade profile (very similar performance) but they use fluid dynamic bearings which are a LOT more reliable and silent :)

Hartmann

Dienstag, 27. Dezember 2022, 21:13

@Hartmann i was mostly pointing at the FPT fans because of the reputation of Evo and X3M fans for developping bearing failures. They use ball bearings and some tend to fail early, making a grinding noise. It's usually early failures, like they would make noise after a few months only. most fans though will last long without problems. EK support is very good anyway and i got mines replaced quickly when i had the issue.. 5 out of 9 fans replaced.
So yea, if ever yours develop that problem, you know the FPT have the same blade profile (very similar performance) but they use fluid dynamic bearings which are a LOT more reliable and silent :)
Yea i know about the Evos but the 70% off was to good to pass up and 141 euros for 18 fans was too good to pass, also got the Ek-Quantum msi Mpg Z690 Carbon Ek X Rgb motherboard 25% and a Ek quantum kinetic TBE 300 D5 Acryl version

All in all iam taking my chances with the fans, and if any goes within a few months iam happy to RMA em :)

But thanks for the advice, that was what i was looking for, have never used the Octo hub, only used fan hub from Corsair, works great but Icue software is not for me. So was trolling the net for something to control all those fans since EK dont have fan hubs anymore so was in need and my thinking was getting one that would work with anything and not lock me to any brand for the long run